PC that won’t break a bank

Hello all, hope everyone is doing ok.
I’m looking to get a new PC to play WoW.
It’s been rather confusing I’m not too well versed with PC language. Looking to get ready for shadowlands. I’ve found this custom PC.

Intel Core i5-9400 Coffee Lake Processor
9MB L3 Cache
Intel Stock CPU Cooler
ASUS PRIME H310M-L R20 Motherboard
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Super 4GB Graphics Card

Main concern is if the CPU & GPU is sufficient. I’m a casual player who just started playing.

Thank you for advice.

1. Location (country)
  2. Budget
  3. Can you assemble your own
  4. Do you already have a display and what are the specs

I5-9400 is a terrible choice in 2020

Thank you for your reply.

1. UK
  2. £800-£1000
  3. I haven’t built one before but I can try.
  4. No display yet

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/K46y6R

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£158.97 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£104.40 @ Alza)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (£68.39 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£96.78 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB WINDFORCE OC Video Card (£259.99 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£42.93 @ Box Limited)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 750 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (£89.99 @ AWD-IT)
Monitor: ViewSonic VX2458-C-MHD 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor (£144.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £966.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-06 05:24 BST+0100

Faster more efficient CPU, can overclock, much faster GPU, fast RAM, fast storage.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your help :smiley:
For the CPU, AMD is better than intel?

They’re very similar in performance, AMD is an all rounder and cost less.

1 Like

Thank you. One more question for now, should I get a cooling fan (if I follow the build above)?

You should probably get a few case fans, nothing fancy but some $10 ones for intake since I think the case only has exhaust.

As for the cpu, it has a competent (if loud) cooler included.

As for AMD vs Intel, as stated, AMD is cheaper and gives you more cores or features at the cost of some single threaded performance for less money.

Intel chips can provide some better performance in games when not GPU limited (which which a 5600xt, you will be most of the time anyway). However, the i5-9400 isn’t one of them. The 3600 is better in pretty much every way.

(Sal here again)

Some things you might need that I didn’t include: a keyboard, a mouse, and some speakers. These are personal preference, but i recommend a mechanical keyboard of some type.

Redragon has some good economical mechanical keyboards, and they will last and perform better than your typical membrane keyboard. As for mouse, I recommend the Logitech G502 but if you need more buttons, the Logitech G600 is pretty good too.

Thank you for your reply :slight_smile:
For the case fan is this sufficient?

1. Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler

Thank you!

Hi Sal :slight_smile:

I haven’t gotten speakers yet! I’ve recently purchased the Corsair K55 for the keyboard and Logitech G600! Thank you.

Sorry if I’m not replying correctly still not used to the forum.

That’s a CPU cooler. You don’t need that, as the Ryzen 5 3600 comes with a competent stock cooler.

Something like this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/quiet-Pure-Wings-BL046-3-Pin/dp/B00ECWKD6I/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=120mm+case+fan&qid=1596723586&sr=8-3

Three of these would do well. Two mounted in front in intake configuration, and one mounted on top over the CPU in exhaust (along with the included rear exhaust) configuration should provide you with good airflow.

Most cases these days already come with their own fans mounted in pull-push configurations (meaning they suck in air from the front and out the back). Some of those cases might be a bit more expensive, but if you don’t want to spend the extra money on case fans I would consider buying a case that already has them installed. At that point it is just a matter of installing the cables of the fans into the motherboard.