Patch 8.1 and Cross-Faction Roleplay

I was trying to figure out if you were joking.
You do realize that forum mods are not Blizzard? And the same goes for wikis and such? I’,… Not sure you and I are on the same level here. lol.

I think an important part of a game design is keeping things simple. Honestly I’m not too fond of the faction war from a storyline perspective (I prefer much more internal conflicts rather than unity versus unity), but I can agree with it from a game design perspective, in that it’s important to have an easy to understand, focused concept that players can enjoy.

That being said, I still push the argument that there is nothing to do with the opposing faction when you have PVP disabled, and I think especially for RP realms, communication should open up for interaction.

As for being against the ToS, it’s not. As of sometime around March 2018, the rule against cross faction chat was removed - and I think this is likely because they added the BattleNet communities which allow chatting to players aligned with the opposite faction, which would directly conflict with their old rules. (And the document that has the specific rule #10 is not part of the US documentation. It’s not listen in the index.)

8 Likes

Considering that it relates to the Cross faction RP and how a different game does it, it is relevant. Please keep your own nose clean before trying to attack someone else.

Thanks.

1 Like

Don’t feed the trolls. Positive posts, people. It makes the naysayers leave.

5 Likes

Just going to drop this here one last time because it is breaking ToS and they did deliberately break the addon for going against ToS:

Number 10.

When was this said? If so, that gives me hope that they’re just waiting/working on making that the case for normal WoW as well

Weak reasoning is weak. Bad bait is weaker.

Even new players can experience things that happened in vanilla, and experience the factions teaming up together and communicating with each other. Even brand new players, like my friend who only joined earlier this year, has experienced BC, Cata, Wrath, Pandaria, and Legion, and has neutral characters.

It is fine if you do not want to do cross faction roleplay. You have that choice. The majority of others here ALSO have the choice of participating in cross faction roleplay.

The main purpose of this thread is to ask what happened, because it is not only crossrp that got messed up, and for people who DO like the addon to show their support in hopes that blizzard realizes they have opportunity to show they care about their community again.

Its 2018, we are allowed to have options.

7 Likes

Whille not in the Terms of Service, it’s in the Termination of Service.

And it was last updated on 3 FEB 2016.

Again, if you look in the legal documentation index, this document isn’t linked for North America, so it’s not really valid.

Even if it was, it’s worded that “allowing players to do so” is against the rules. This makes me think of players hosting a 3rd party service that “allows” other people to break the faction divide. In the case of Cross RP, the medium is simply part of the game, the BattleNet communities.

That being said, people have put in tickets for clarification, and there was no confirmation that Cross RP was against the ToS. AFAIK, the best answer someone could get regarding that concerning document was to snailmail the EU legal team (as on EU side that document is still active).

3 Likes

Just because someone has a different opinion than you does not make it trolling.

Not everyone is in your echo chamber agreeing with you.

Please be respectful to other people while online, and most of the posts I’ve seen in here are more inline with spam than trolling; yours included. And mine. This post specifically.

I like different opinions, but when someone keeps posting the same thing for their opinion over and over again… Eehh…

But the thing is, the addon was stated to have the okay from Blizzard when it was first introduced / when it was around ToA… Bringing up the ToS now seems like a Blizzard ‘fun detected’ move to me. So I am sorry if I came off rude to you or anyone else.

5 Likes

For sake of clarification and accuracy, I don’t believe Blizzard ever stated that it was “okay,” but they also haven’t stated that it was “not okay.”

An answer a few GMs have given in favor of Cross RP was that you simply can’t get in trouble for using something that’s just an addon, unless it was taking advantage of some exploit (and automating some lucrative process, especially).

7 Likes

How do you suppose the inclusion of cross-faction communities implemented by Blizzard (and which form the basis for the Cross RP add-on) and the built-in languages Demonic/Pandaren/Thalassian allowing for cross-faction communication fit in with that part of the ToS?

I’m not a legal representative for Blizzard so I can not accurately answer that question with enough confidence to allow for all parties involved to have a peaceful resolution.

That’s a cop-out response. I’m not asking you for a legal break-down, I’m asking for your opinion.

2 Likes

Thalassian/Demonic/Pandaren cross-faction talking is an oversight, and Blizzard does not have the resources to rectify it.

It’s basically why I speculate the rules were removed, because the new ingame features would breach them. As for that document still being there as is on the EU side, nobody other than them really know why.

3 Likes

When someone has to invent a dozen reasons that something can’t be allowed, because their reasons keep being proven nonsensical, that’s a sign of a person who simply doesn’t want to be wrong, and will literally never stop.

It’s honestly best not to engage with a person like that.

10 Likes

I think Blizzard lacked the foresight to see addons like CrossRP happening, and are in a bit of a tizzy with themselves at the moment over integration over Bnet and World of Warcraft.

They might re-enable this later on with some amends to the API to disallow cross-faction communities from being viewable in-game.

I think it would be great if our characters could go through a long chain of quests that would end with learning a language of the opposing faction. To defeat thy enemy, one must know thy enemy.
As long as communication is limited to /s or /y, what’s the harm? Maybe make warmode a requirement so that people can learn that there are possible repercussions for mouthing off.

5 Likes