Patch 8.1 and Cross-Faction Roleplay

Throwing my support behind this as well- I run a neutral community myself and while we may be small (but growing), this change heavily impedes our ability to RP together and write stories in the world that Blizzard has created. This addon made the world feel even more alive, and gave a unique sense of realism and immersion that will be sorely missed if there aren’t ways it can be fixed.

I don’t know the first thing about API or how it works, but I would hate to see all the work put into this addon thrown away, especially when it’s been such a huge boon to the RP community.

47 Likes

As a coordinator of Flames of War, a cross-faction RP-PvP event, it makes me really sad to hear this–we were looking forward to utilizing this at our next campaign in order to cut back on the amount of time/stress of cross communication…

I hope that this was an accidental mistake on part of Blizzard and that it will be fixed soon as at ToA it was an absolutely amazing experience because there was so much interaction between the Horde and Alliance.

Tammy, thank you for all your hard work, if you need anything just let me know. :slight_smile:

51 Likes

BfA has been such a great source of neutral and cross-faction interaction, and CrossRP has helped with so much of it. With the changes for 8.1, it disheartens me to see that we may no longer have a means to participate in such things.

Please consider fixing this, Blizzard, or at least providing an exception. It’s such a glorious little add-on and nothing but good has come from it in the roleplay community.

41 Likes

SUPPORT. <3 <3 Please hear this one out, Blizz!

35 Likes

RolePlay is one of the few things in this game that I still find “fun”.
As somebody who mainly plays neutral characters, CrossRP was nothing short of a miracle.

I’m hoping the current state of the add-on is an unintended bug introduced by an unrelated change in the coding. If so, I hope the game devs fix it.

If it was an intended breakage of the add-on, please reconsider! CrossRP made the RP communities flourish; never had I seen so many people turn up for events, for both factions even.

I know this is a time of war, but we are all individuals here.
We are not a hivemind of red vs blue. We are RolePlayers.

50 Likes

This addon is almost one of the few ‘mandatory’ type ones we have as Roleplayers due to the massive boost in value we get out of being able to speak with the other faction for both casual events and RP-PvP events.

Please look into allowing this addon to work as its become a very integral part of Roleplay (At least on Moon Guard).

48 Likes

This addon literally changed the face of Roleplay in the game, expanding the amount of stories, characters, and players we could all interact with. I adjusted my own hosted public events to accommodate Alliance using this addon so that more players could enjoy things together.

Please, PLEASE, Blizzard! Make it possible for this addon to function once again! So many events, weekly, monthly, and especially Winter’s Veil coming up, were depending on this. Please show, for once, that you listen and care about your Role play community. We may be small, but we are fiercely passionate. We love this world and its story. Please allow us this ability again!

51 Likes

I would like to add my support to the move to re-enable add-ons to work with communities (IE, bring back Cross RP add-on’s functionality).

For roleplay purposes, this add-on feature has been life-altering. In rp realms, we’ve been able to use this to openly communicate at functions such as the renowned Tournament of Ages fundraising event held for a whole week each August on MG server. We’ve also been using it for many other large and small RP events such as a neutral peace summit, neutral markets and cultural festivals, and even non-neutral (aggressive…to keep in the spirit of the game) RP battle events where opposing factions were RP battling one another.

It has been a wonderful way to promote RP events on an RP server where previously it was impossible to have fluid RP between opposing faction characters. Attempting to do so in community chat or discord overlay was stilted and broke immersion, which is crucial to meaningful RP. This divide was crossed in a wonderful and dynamic way with the Cross RP add-on.

Please allow it to be used once more! Undo the ‘fix’ of not allowing add-ons to work in communities. Please!

46 Likes

The Orc Pope blesses this post and is saddened that the Alliance is being denied the words of the true Orc.

Jokes aside as someone who RPed as an Earthen Ring member, I miss my dwarf and draenei friends.

38 Likes

Offering my full support here as well. This is poor optics on blizzard’s part when they already have a fair bit of criticism directed at them already.

29 Likes

Honestly, it was just fun to use. We see it all the time ingame where characters on the screen talk to each other. Only people that want to RP really use it. It’d be neat to have cross-faction chat work somehow, through an addon or blizzard’s own implementation. We can’t RP fighting a war with people we can’t RP with.

41 Likes

This, too. If it weren’t for RolePlay, I would have left the game long ago.

41 Likes

Adding some support, as distant as it might be.

27 Likes

The simple fact of the matter is that Blizzard has been breaking down the barriers between Cross-Faction Communication for years now - it started with Pandaren, escalated with Demon Hunters, and then escalated again with Void Elves.

To say that those sorts of Cross-Faction Communication are okay, but Cross-RP isn’t, is pretty two-faced of you, Blizz.

Personally I’m of the belief that Roleplay servers should not be places where “serious” activities like Raiding, PvP, and Mythics are the focus, like every other non-RP server. Instead they should be places where the focus is on the Community, of player to player interactions and how they weave their own stories. Not the quest for epic loot, but the quest for new experiences for their characters, to build them up and make their story the star attraction. You can’t effectively do that if you completely cut players off from a whole section of the playerbase on an RP server.

Chances are high that you’re just going to thumb your nose and tell us to deal with it, because honestly you’ve been doing the whole “It’s our game and you will play it how we desire you to” for quite some time now. But hey, maybe you’ll prove me wrong. Maybe you’ll make Roleplay Servers a place where the strict lines between Horde and Alliance are…a little more relaxed. Where we can talk with one another, roleplay with one another, and craft stories of our own that include not just those on our own faction, but those on the other side as well.

Small hope.

56 Likes

I could buy the “people use it to exploit and cheat” if things like bnet tags, Communities, Discord, Skype, any measure of private chats, public forums, private forums, or social media in general didn’t exist. If the ONLY way to talk to anyone else on the planet was through /s and /y then yeah, that would be a problem.

But there are easier and faster ways to collude with people to cheat. A Warcraft addon is not that method. Unbreak this and bring it back.

50 Likes

Also, I RP a Cenarion Circle member. Zen’kiki can talk with his Night Elf and Gilnean colleagues. Za’tiya should be able to. Don’t take that away from her. :sob:

39 Likes

Also just going to point out…NPCs of opposing factions can understand one another clearly, both in-game and in novels and outside sources.

Thus, the argument that it goes against the heart of the game with ‘waring factions should not be able to understand one another’ is moot, because the main characters do it constantly.

56 Likes

I 100% support this addon, as the developer clearly stated in the addon, from what I read in the document. That it does not work on Non-RP Realms. Blizzard, at least, if we can’t have an addon like this, consider removing language barriers on RP realms. Us Roleplayers are just as big of part of your game and community as the raiders and pvpers.

43 Likes

My guild and I use it a lot ourselves, I don’t know how a singular patch could essentially ruin everything like CrossRP, it blows chunks.

I used it alot because I roleplay a Lorewalker, and we have to be neutral.

35 Likes

Jumping in to also lend my support for this addon. RP in WoW has almost single-handedly kept the game alive for me. Cross RP was probably the most exciting thing that’s come as an addon for me since I started playing just before Legion, and with the new expansion has an even more important part to play with the muddying of faction lines. As far as I can see, Cross RP has done nothing except help players stay with the game through the lulls with better and more creative events for everyone to take part in. However small the userbase is for RP realms and for this addon, its my hope that changes will be made to restore function.

37 Likes