Passive Mortal Strikes

Should they exist?

I’m talking about the Mortal Strike effects baked into rotational abilities, like Havoc/Warr/Monk have. Active CDs like Psyfiend are cool with me, but passive MS effects just feel like the best utility in the game, and heavily skew Shuffles toward whatever team has one.

Don’t think it’s a no brainer in slow metas that the best Shuffle specs have frequent burst windows and an easily applied mortal strike mechanic to just win with math.

1 Like

It’s a hack to allow a default balance of having at least one melee without significant offheals or cc.

Baking it into the rotation given that goal is fine.

I agree that this breaks down in the context of solo shuffle, where if exactly one person has mortal strike they end up quite favored.

I feel like off-heals from DPS suck in modern WoW. Especially because Dampening

1 Like

I mean…there’s what, two melee specs without a mortal strike, enhance and ret right? Ret has massive team utility doesn’t need an ms. It would be broken if it had it. If enhance got ms at current power levels that would be fine.

FDK forgotten again. :dracthyr_hehe_animated:

7 Likes

So am i crazy or all the ones you listed not passive? Baked into your rotation =/= passive.

Wound poison is a better example.

But id say MS is an important aspect of class design. after revisiting its peak, IMO its better when its have vs have nots. Playing around its uptime is fun to me

I wish we could go back to times when Warrs were brought for MS and not many other if any classes had it. Remove some other utility for warrs and let them have the only/best MS.

1 Like

Hate this, brotha.

I mean, it would take a lot of messing around and tuning with other specs losing MS as well, but seeing warr lose an intervene in place of having the only MS in game for example seems fair.

I don’t play warr, but I am sure you could find a trade off in place of having MS.

1 Like

Keep utility and buff ms. Warrior Ms should be oppressive and part of that is the utility. Imo.

Also maybe gut the everloving hell out of rogue survivability then buff wound so its like. You want to stay in to keep wound up but you’re gonna die jim

to be fair other classes having the same MS leads us to the problem where warrior gets auto-replaced by rogue/dh/ww depending on how damage profiles are tuned and, at least maybe s tart with just reducing most MS to 10% or something and leave warr at like 25%

I definitely wish parts of the game were simplified or more spec/class reliant like MS and offhealing and such. I don’t know what would need to be done I support the premise of this. I also know it’ll never happen.

Lets make this thread about how demo locks shouldn’t have ms.

8 Likes

true just don’t press mortal strike fr

I sentence you to the maximum punishment, 26 games against retwar
I banish thee

i dont think every melee should be having a passive MS, but they were fine when only a select few melee had.

1 Like

give fire breath a mortal strike
:dracthyr_nod:

I agree that Ret should get MS, and Boomy too.

Boomy should also get Bubble, but that is for another topic.

(And sniper shot. Boomie needs sniper shot.)

1 Like

i mean, ideally the game doesn’t let them reset it’s cd / shorten the cd so it’s actually realistic that it falls down lol. But yeah, melee range ability, on gcd. It can fall off / they can gap it.

Like a rogue reconnects for 0.1s you’ve got wound on because they’re hitting you and poisons proc is more or less guaranteed. Warrior Reconnects and has to choose to ms. Thats what I meant. Active ability isn’t passive. Obviously there’s some training wheels that make its activiation more guaranteed and it’s closer to passive in the modern game but I still don’t agree with calling these things passive just because they’re rotational.

I think i’ve used passive in the way you are in the past though so I concede that I’m probably biased. It’s better if some classes think about their MS and others just apply it for existing. Everything being the same is boring.

from what these forums sound like that’s just 26 games and they’ll all be ret war even without some kind of restriction.

either way i’m gonna suffer in cata. Been trying out on whitemane and its miserable just like i remember. rip 50% ms.

Flameshaper needs Dispel Protection of some variety

give frostbolt ms

1 Like