Pandaren hunter can't tame cloud serpent on Wandering Isle

I submitted a bug report ingame but I’m also going to post this here in case anyone else is experiencing this issue. :stuck_out_tongue: I’ve done some forum and internet searches and most results are from October. People were having issues back then, but I figured they’d be fixed by now since no one’s posted about it since then really. Well, it seems to still be bugged!

I made a Pandaren Hunter who I’ve been leveling on The Wandering Isle. I’m on the quest Battle for the Skies and used Beast Lore on Zhao-Ren - when I try taming it, I get red text saying I don’t know how to tame cloud serpents. But Pandaren are supposed to know how to tame cloud serpents as a racial trait. Was this changed? My hunter is Marksmanship spec and level 12.

I don’t ever remember reading Panda’s got cloud serpents as a racial tame.

Pandaren hunters can train most cloud serpents without first learning the tome as of the SL pre-patch. I don’t think they are exotics.

Not all looks are tameable though. I’d suggest checking out WoW-petopia.com to see if this particular look is tameable.

1 Like

I found out he was tameable from that website, actually! If you click on him for the Wandering Isle section that shows all pets from the area, it lists him, and then in the description mentions that Pandaren can tame cloud serpents by default :smiley: Beast lore shows him as tameable too, but when I use tame it pops up the red text claiming I don’t know how to tame serpents…

I’ve spent the evening reading wowhead articles for anything related to this, and it seems this issue has plagued people for months now if you go to pages on wowhead for individual tames as well as the book itself. Some people mentioning the book doesn’t work even after using it, some people noticing the same bug I do and thinking they need the book on pandaren and then the book not working, etc.

It’s odd since both the taming guide on wowhead and various wowhead articles say Pandaren can tame without the book and there’s no updates mentioning it being bugged apart from anecdotes from players on this forum and wowhead itself. Someone on this forum mentioned they were able to tame without the book on a pandaren character, but that was the only post I could find making that claim. (I think it was from November or December) I forgot that undead creatures and cloud serpents were somewhat a set of updates - Undead players can tame undead pets by default, and Pandaren can tame cloud serpents by default…or so it’s said. On the page for the tame book someone mentioned a blizz response saying there was a known issue with the taming book not working for some people - I wonder if that issue extends to Pandaren’s ability to tame as well. Maybe a bug with the creatures themselves?

Thanks for the response <3 Hopefully a bug report helps, if nothing else.

Looks like other issues with taming cloud serpents don’t have a workaround.
https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/000275049

1 Like

Whoa, now this article I hadn’t seen - only a comment about it. Thank you! I hope they can figure this one out D:

Did your hunter start out as Pandaren or did you race change into it? If its the latter, that may be the problem as some things are applied to the default race upon creation but are not retroactively applied if you race change.

Confirmed this is still not working. Created a new Pandaren Hunter and got the message ‘you cannot tame’. Beast lore indicates that it was in fact tameable. Submitted in-game ticket.

Has this been fixed yet? I’m about to start a Pandaren hunter, wondering if I should start on Wandering Isle for Zhao-Ren.

No, I just tried to tame Zhao-Ren today and it wouldn’t let me.

Still not working. Beast lore still says tamable. My pandaren hunter still gets the message “You do not know how to tame cloud serpents.”

It is now September 19 and it is still not working. I tried to tame Zhao-Ren on my Pandaren and I got the message of I don’t know how to tame cloud serpents.

February 4th 2022, and still bugged.

2 Likes

Going to try today (4/6/2022) It’s after reset so crossing fingers will update when I reach that point

Edit: STILL does not work D:
Edit for the edit!: ALL you need to do is buy the ‘how to school your serpent’ book from exalted order of the cloud serpent and you can tame him!!!

This is still an issue. Support only recommend me to report a bug. Otherwise, just earn the tome like every other race.