Pally vs Mage PVE solo player

Im coming back into the game and getting ready for the new expansion but trying to decide between mage and pally. I’m mainly a solo player with a focus on PVE. I enjoy both classes but only have the time to really focus on one. Unless I somehow find a guild that has a raid schedule that works for me I likely PUG for Riads etc. My concern with the pally is if RET falls from favor I’ll be screwed or if the raid preference of the pug is not anymore RET pally. Is focusing on the mage a smarter option then?

Well, I am also just returning, but have been dabbling with DF off and on, but this xpan this is becoming my main game. I been back for about 4 weeks now, and I would say play both mage and pally and seen what is coming out of beta, Go Mage, you wont be disappointed. I normal play fire mage, but I been messing with arcane, and its great and its being the star child of mages from what I am hearing. I am taking a dangerous road this xpan, I am going healing for the first time as a Main ( I did do healing on a Pally in Cata for 3 months, but I was mainly Tanking and DPS in Cata). So we will see how that goes.
I wish you luck and hope you find happiness in your main class.