Paladins, both Retribution and Protection

So I’m not trying to sound insulting at all. I watched those videos and I’m not sure what I’m seeing. The first spelladin video is that a full raid? Are they just dpsing? As for the 2nd video why is it awesome to tank a low level dungeon? Serious inquiry. Like if i saw a level 120 tank a low lvl dungeon i wouldn’t care.

Because if they tanked an end game dungeon they would get hammered into the ground and then it wouldnt fit their agenda.

Not really, no. You don’t need as much defense and the pulls are short enough that you can hold threat… they’re just not as good as a Druid/Warrior. If we had a Druid healer and no other hybrid I’d want one though.

Then prove it then and you cant use provate server footage.

…no? No one can prove it aside from doing it. Private servers aren’t entirely accurate (but are fairly close), and so few people recorded footage of vanilla - and fewer still have that footage today. But Paladins aren’t terrible. Taunting isn’t 100% mandatory in dungeons, and good players can adapt.

I’d rather have a Paladin tank (more frequent mana breaks than otherwise) than have only a single BRes as the only res in the group. Long runs back < mana breaks.

Because it didnt happen by then.

I’m not the one who posted the videos bud you replied to the wrong post

Paladins have tanked since the early days. Just because they’re not the optimal tank doesn’t mean they’re not good for dungeons. Non-heal specced hybrids can tank and heal dungeons, y’know, up until 60.

1 Like

No, what you mean to say is paladins were meat shields who left groups frustrated for wasting their time and the healers patience.

Like I said prove it.

…For realz? For dungeons they are just as good as any other tank. For AoE runs they are kings. You call a paladin a meat shield, but that is exactly the point of a tank. So what are you trying to say? That they run low on mana? Using JoW and SoR on a single target fight with a fast weapon relieves this pressure. They do great on threat because they actually have BoSalvation. As for drinking between pulls, you focus on pulling as many as you can and AoE them down making the drink time worth it. They use plate and a shield like a warrior so their damage mitigation is just as good.

As for raids, thunderfury and everything is peachy on non swap fights. Not recommended for min/max raids as they tend to need higher threat ceilings, but even then those 1.5k dps warriors only need you to do 770+ tps which you can do at the time they do that. It just requires more coordination and understanding by group members.

Actually the tanks job is to mitagate damage properly while holding threat properly. Just because you cause more threat and take the damage doesnt make you a takn. It makes your healer hate you.

Like i said prove it with real footage not your provate server delusionals

From what I’ve been reading, the main issue seems to be people who only care about min/maxing and DPS and ignore the fact that Paladins are a hybrid class so can and should do a variety of things. Sure you’ll be lousy if you think of yourself as a DPS class; that’s why you have blessings. Now for Prot, you’re limited because of gameplay mechanics (no taunt, mana dependent) which limits you in raids but not in group content. I don’t recall if there were offtank fights in Vanilla that a Paladin could do, but the lack of a taunt is pretty big even for that.

I’m not sure if people just don’t care about/respect having utility or what, but I see a lot of this and wonder if it’s a problem with the community and not the class itself. Hell even in retail I constantly see Paladins who don’t bother to use any of the utility they have and play just like they are a DPS warrior or something.

People care about utility, but there is very little utility that Ret brings over Holy. (This is less of a big deal in 40-man and/or farm content, of course.)

1 Like

Paladins, namely ret, in modern WoW have almost no important utility to speak of. They really are just yellow tinted warriors. The last time they had a good balance between utility and DPS was MoP. They were somewhat middling/low in throughput, but offered quite valuable utilities that really made a difference in raiding.

That’s also the thing with Classic that I don’t think many quite realize. Not everyone is going to be raiding hardcore or try to “keep up” with the release of content. There’s no point because Classic isn’t going anywhere. If there was any time to stop worrying about being “left behind”, it’s now. That’s one thing that makes Classic different from vanilla.

My ret paladin in MoP had the very same utilities as a holy paladin, and a holy paladin could probably utilize them better as it wouldn’t require taking focus off DPS in order to monitor/support allies, but that didn’t really matter because my guild didn’t and still doesn’t care about pushing progression.

I tend to believe that a competitive, meta-oriented mindset is one of the reasons why WoW turned into what it is today. I can’t fairly condemn anyone for it, for hindsight is 20/20. That’s no reason to purposely make abrasive or stupid decisions, of course, but neither is there much reason to worry about hurrying if you’re not thrilled by sacrificing yourself for 39 other people.

Let’s all just have fun; different gameplay goals for different type of people. Find those like-minded and stick with them. At the end of the day, it’s a video game. It’s purpose is to have fun, and if you are not having fun, you are wasting your time.

4 Likes

Paladin tanks were used in raid, it just was uncommon. They were not tanking raid bosses on the regular tho. They were brought because they are excellent at tanking trash during raid encounters that have it.

Asking for vanilla era video is kinda ridiculous because while it might actually exist, most people arent willing to get onto warcraft movies and pay the subscription fee just to prove a point.

Why did I mention warcraft movies? Because Vanilla WoW actual videos are commonly posted there as it was the video share site of that era long before YouTube had a format and permisable length / quality of video capability to be actually employed as a choice site to host wow videos.

If I remember correctly that transition of youtube going from pointless cat videos to capable of hosting something akin to a wow video was around 2008; long after vanilla was gone.

If you want real vanilla video you really need to get on warcraft movies.

So find it, because it didn’t happen and if it did happen. It was an over geared healer carrying a moron who was meat shielding.

Seriously, if you want to argue a point give evidence. Not, “well it happened but you know you go find it because I swear it happened.”

SO find it, and even if you do i’m going to move the goalpost because I have no interest in even entertaining the idea.

2 Likes

Yup, there is a lot that took place in vanilla that never got recorded simply because almost no one made videos back then.

But he doesnt apear to know that for “reasons”

Him asking for video proof from 05 or 06 is about as ridiculous as asking for instagram posts from 1995

1 Like

Actually it did, and this video is from actual vanilla.

Given how freaking rare it is to get both a paladin tank and someone recording at the same time you need to consider your self ridiculously lucky to get both in the same situation.

I do believe you owe me a case of beer

1 Like

Why because videos didnt exist in that time? Using the comparision of somethong that didnt exist to something that had the opportunity to exist, is quite honestly a pathetic arguement.

Then again i expect nothing less from you at this point. Creating bait threads, contradicting yourself in your posts, using invalid data to support your claims, and much more.

My point is simply proven by the data not existing, which was a conjuction of the premise. You can keep trying however.