Overwolf destroyed one of our add-on apps

Elv and Tuk UI’s do absolutely nothing other addons don’t, outside of look generic as hell.

Not that it matters, because you will just ignore it. But I have had zero issues with any kind of performance while it is open. I generally close it when not in use (just like I tend to close browser windows to reclaim resources they have a lock upon) but even when it is open and running so I can parse while raiding I have never noticed an issue.

Now you can complain about the ads but other then that you are just being silly. It’s not like you can’t just turn it off after you do your 20 second scan/update.

1 Like

This is exactly what I do.

Thus why I said right in the OP:

You seem to be trying to have an argument that I was never having.

Because I don’t want to have an advertising company hook its poorly optimized program into my PC where they have another opportunity to fail and load up malware on my PC. Or maybe because I don’t want an advertising company to trawl through my PC and look at my data. This wouldn’t be an issue at all if Overwolf wasn’t messing with third party installers.

The only thing this thread has shown is that most WoW players don’t care about their data or protecting themselves from malicious software and companies. In fact, some players will even defend the company that ruins their PC with malware. Thankfully the true addicts will stay with this sinking ship and I’ll be out so I won’t have to deal with them when playing Halo. See y’all never. I sincerely hope it gets better only so the game acts as a containment zone.

See ya next week!

And yet most people in here have been saying to use Wowup and are complaining they don’t want to use Overwolf…

Do you read threads or just find one person to latch onto and tunnel vision? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

i think we all know why it was discontinued. the answer starts with an n and ends with a o.

For the past few months I’ve logged on once at the beginning of the month to check auctions and claim the last few tiers of my RAF rewards. So two more sessions, then the game is gone. It’s easier to quit a game than you think. Destiny was harder because I had more friends playing that.

I have been running it for a year and I have yet to get a single “red flag” from it from either my malware or virus scans. I know they had issues in the past but then so did WOWhead. And if you are worried about your privacy, I bet Google knows more about you than Overwolf every will.

2 Likes

It is clear we are just not going to agree on this and that is fine. I don’t care to change your point of view on it. Yes, it would suck if they become the only addon updater but that would be solely up to the mod developers and not Overwolf.

“Yeah, they messed up one because they didn’t spend the money to vet their advertisements, but I’ve got no problems now with letting this advertisement company expand and hook deeper into my system than ever before.”

Google doesn’t have anything installed on my PC because I care about my privacy. I don’t give out my data to whatever company wants it.

That is exactly what they’re doing. CurseBreaker and Ajour aren’t being worked on because of Overwolf’s actions. That’s two that are gone in a day. Add-ons are sliding down the slope and you’re oiling it up for them.

1 Like

To be clear, Overwolf is NOT forcing anyone to host their addons on CurseForge. As others have said, they could host it on github, wowinterface, etc. and 3rd party apps such as CurseBreaker, Ajour, WoWUp would still work just fine.

However, it’s clear that CurseForge has the largest collection of AddOns, and thus is where people go to find AddOns. It would be silly for an AddOn author to ignore that. But again, they could still host it elsewhere as well, NOTHING prevents them from doing so.

Now it’s true that to sweeten the deal, Overwolf does pay the addon authors some amount of money based on volume of downloads. It may not be much, but even a few dollars a week/month is greater than zero. So does this provide incentive to the AddOn authors to only host there, yes it does. Is Overwolf FORCING them to do so? No they are not.

So hate on Overwolf all you want, but the AddOn authors are ultimately the ones with the real control.

3 Likes

Except that is the OPPOSITE of what they are doing. They are allowing the mod authors to make that decision. You are basically blaming them for they are letting others make. If those creators decide they are fine with their addon’s being on other updaters they can toggle the setting.

If I automatically distrusted everyone who made a mistake, well there would be very few I could trust. Hell I didn’t stop buying GM cars just because they screwed something up and I had to go in for a manufacture repair recall. It’s not like Twitch didn’t have their issues, hell they just had a major hack that exposed massive amounts of information.

Either way, I have better things to do than continue a pointless debate. You can keep up your crusade and I will go about my night.

They can’t get away with it, its a monopoly and that’s illegal. Someone else can create a new source to get addon updates from.

I present to you a plate of delicious food and a plate of human excrement. You can choose one or the other. It’s a choice, but not a valid one.

Enjoy the ransomware. It’ll pair nicely with Zerith Mortis.

1 Like

Might want to do a bit of research about what a Monopoly is before you start tossing that term around. Overwolf is NOT a Monopoly.

1 Like

They are trying to cause a monopoly, to be the only addon service for wow.

2 Likes

A - It’s not a monopoly
B - The add on creators can always upload their mods to another repo if they want, no one is holding their dogs hostage. But like it or not Overwolf owns the old Curse Forge repo and if they wanted to, they could delete it tonight and there is nothing we could do about it.

Let us know when they start buying up sites such as GitHub (a source code repository), Wowinterface (been around a LONG time), etc. Than we can start talking about a Monopoly, until than, not even in the same ballpark.

1 Like