Overwolf Client and Addon Management - PLEASE Don't Support This!

Exactly! We need to try to communicate with the addon devs to see what their plans are.

BUT creating a simple GraphQL API to catalog repo locations could not hurt. (I say GraphQL because I am so over REST)

I like how you think!!

Not dumb at all.

Twitch sold Curse off to Overwolf.

Also, we are not the only gaming community being screwed by this guys. Curse hosts other game mods too. The Minecraft mod sections is much larger than ours. I have not looked to see what they are going to do.

If you are using TSM you are using their client anyway. They are pretty much covered.

2 Likes

Yeah thereā€™s actually a number of addon suites that now have dedicated clients. TukUI, WeakAuras/wago, and I think maybe ElvUI?

I donā€™t blame them either, managing all the subcomponents of those addons through Curse or even manually is a colossal pain.

2 Likes

I also use wowinterface.com + github.com/ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Addons are open source by default. Blizzardā€™s EULA requires it, and ultimately theyā€™re all human readable LUA script.

What addons are not is free (libre). The code must be visible, but it still belongs to its author exclusively (an exemple of a team thatā€™s very aggressive defending their exclusive IP on their code is TSM, they go after unofficial ā€œforksā€ everytime they pop up). That would run afoul of Githubā€™s free plan which requires free repos to be libre (or did they change it again?).

3 Likes

Man I know TSM is incredibly useful but the entire sphere around it is just so freaking weird.

When MS Purchased Github they opened unlimited Private and Public repos. For free that is.

Donā€™t quote me on the unlimited for private, but its for a certain team size.

Shoot. I need to go look

1 Like

Youā€™ll find some addon devs are in support of overwolf though because they want money :man_shrugging: Not implying anything is wrong with that, they are working after all but you may find some devs arenā€™t about that ā€˜have it for freeā€™ life.

Reason mentioned above lol

This is the other sticking point.

Honestly the monetary split that curse gives them is crap. But trying to figure out another way to do it has been the struggle.

That being said, there are plenty of addons that are firm believers of opensource. BigWIgs team and a lot of the guys that used to be hosted on wowace back in the day like Tekkub

Oh I know. Years ago I had an addon up on Curse that earned me a few hundred bucks in Amazon GCs over the course of a few years.

Most other software-for-the-community sorts of projects get by on things like Patreon and Github Sponsorships, which are infinitely less skeevy. With the kind of money big guilds drop on WoW tokens and server transfers and the like Iā€™m sure they could spare a few bucks for the addons that make their gameplay possible.

1 Like

All modding spheres have their bit of weirdness. On WoW Iā€™ve only ever been a basic dumb user, so Iā€™m not so familiar with the addon creator community.

But on Skyrim, where I actually am active in the modding community, I can guarantee we have no shortage of our own mix of drama queens, overall weirdos, OK folks and technical wizards all trying to fix Bethesdaā€™s own special mess :wink:

5 Likes

I read somewhere that Github hired Tekkub fairly early on. Not sure if heā€™s still there.

I would not doubt it. All of us owe a LOT of thanks to Tekk for what all he contributed,

Just look at all the projects and libs he did for the game.

https://github.com/TekNoLogic

Still dont know how installing addons manually is defending. But hey upvote yourself with your alts.

Can you please show me where im defending? Perhaps i didnt see it.

4 Likes

I believe that their take on it is a version of ā€œAll it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing.ā€

In other words, if you arenā€™t condemning the sketchy practice you arenā€™t doing enough.

/shrug

Each to their own opinion I guess.

9 Likes

Never heard of any of those addons except for oUF :grimacing: If you want to talk about crazy great devs though look at https://www.curseforge.com/members/funkehdude/projects . That dude wrote like every addon Iā€™ve ever loved :rofl:

Dude, be real. This is gaslighting. If even I have 10 addons, manually going to each developper site to check the version and when it was released, download the zip and manually installing it will be a massive waste of time.

There is no reason to defend a hostile corporate takeover of curseforge that locks us out of our add-on management, without submitting to adware garbage on our computers.

What ? lol :rofl: I didnā€™t do that. Obviously people think youā€™re wrong here, might want to take a step back and re-evaluate your position.

21 Likes

Yep! FunkyDude is another OG addon dev!! Ahh great times!

Well you established you have have no idea what that means.

I manually install I have no problem just because you get your panties in a bunch because I refuse to use an add-on is your prerogative

4 Likes