Overwolf Client and Addon Management - PLEASE Don't Support This!

Well you established you have have no idea what that means.

I manually install I have no problem just because you get your panties in a bunch because I refuse to use an add-on is your prerogative

4 Likes

Making us think we’re crazy for thinking what Overwolf is doing is unacceptable ?

That’s the textbook definition.

Just curious, how many add-ons do you manage, and how often do you update them ? I have some add-ons that require daily updates.

3 Likes

Although you can install them manually Blizzard should do the right thing here and step in.

11 Likes

You clearly didn’t read.

WoWupio isn’t going to be available any longer due to what Overwolf is threatening to do.

7 Likes

I have over 100 addons :heart: It would be quite annoying to go and look for updates manually for all of them. Though I would probably just be content as long as it worked and only look for updates when I get bugs.

6 Likes

It’s true, its now posted openly on their patreon.

We all knew from the beginning that one day the powers that be would be coming one day. That day was yesterday. Yesterday I was approached by a member of the Overwolf team who essentially told me I could either join them by embedding WowUp into their framework or stop using the CurseForge API.

Nothing has been finalized yet, but I can guarantee there will be no embedding of WowUp into the Overwolf platform, that is the entire reason WowUp was created.

What does this mean for the app?

Well, as I am sure many of you can guess the CurseForge API accounts for over 90% of installed addons at this time. So unfortunately if Overwolf does decide to kick us off their API entirely most addons will not be updated through them.

This post is unfortunate in timing but the plan was always to separate from them at some point but that day just came sooner than hoped.

What’s next?

I completely understand that you signed up for an app that just worked out of the box for all your addon needs without the ads. That will no longer be the case for the time being and I thank you for what your support was able to create. WowUp will not be quite as useful as it was before, but I have been and will continue working on my replacement for CF using a community/developer focused approach just like the app. Most of the top used addons are already available outside of Overwolf and I would like to tap into that.

Creating our own source for addon updates could be a step up from what we currently get from CF, such as Patreon/funding links out of the box, change logs built in, easy use for developers on their already existing workflows so no major migrations.

Again, I understand if you would like to pull your support as the app likely wont do what you signed up for depending on the outcome with Overwolf, but im still happy to work on an alternative if the people want it.

18 Likes

Please show me where i stated people were crazy. Ill wait. Are you done trying to put words in my mouth?

What addon would require daily updates?

3 Likes

“Just install manually! That’s fine! Stop going after Overwolf, they need to pay the bills!”.

Still waiting :

1 Like

There’s nothing for Blizz to do. All the addons are within Blizz’s guidelines for addons

A website that hosts them and has ads still falls within the rules since Blizz can’t do anything about a website not charging users anything and only blocking api access

I get how you guys feel though, I 100% will not be using overwolf, I decided this back when they first announced “ads or a premium service” :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

ignore him. he seems to think that saying dont buy from scalpers, means you support scalpers. so apparently in his mind, saying dont use a predatory client, means you support predatory clients… you cant reason with someone like that.

1 Like

Okay so you’re going to go with pointless runaround attacks of me saying stuff I didn’t say. You’re really disingenuous person I’m sorry that you need an add-on manager for your cheating addons that require daily updates.

Hey i can play that game also

2 Likes

Requiring me to go through their adware filled garbage client and locking out anything else is “asking for some form of monetary compensation”.

9 Likes

It’s a great thought but I don’t think they would. There is no precedent in all of gaming for a company to host the modding. . well. . hold up. . Steam?. . well. . sort of. . but not completely.

There is not gain to them having to manage things. And I suspect that many mod authors would be leery of turning over there code completely to Blizz.

But it is a thought to consider.

Did you pay for it?

Your argument would go like this:

You: Blizz, shut these guys down they are charging people to get addons
Blizz: How much?
You: They have ads in their software
Blizz: But how much did they charge you?
You: They are getting paid from the ads in their software and they removed access to their api
Blizz: But they own their software and the addons are still free

3 Likes

The curse downloader existed for years with ads and “paid update all”

1 Like

Still waiting, stop dodging the question. You’re only further proving your intent here is to derail and troll in an attempt to defend Overwolf.

And there we have it, guys that support scalpers also supporting Overwolf. “Just don’t install their client”. I don’t want to, but they are blocking all other clients. Same as scalpers buying up all the 3080s and 3090s. I don’t want to buy off them, I want to buy off Newegg. It’s not in stock because of scalpers.

1 Like

Till you answer me i wont answer you. Sorry buddy.

1 Like

Same, if comes down to it I’ll just run the most minimal set of addons possible, so updating them from dev sites directly is practical. If devs decide to lock their addons up in overwolf… well, I guess I’ll need to write my own replacements where possible lol.

But I won’t do anything to boost Overwolf’s ad revenue even a cent.

1 Like

Yes, through CPU and GPU cycles to display their ads and runing their garbage adware.

Why are you defending this ?

2 Likes

see what i mean. you cant speak logically with people like this.