Overwolf Client and Addon Management - PLEASE Don't Support This!

This is a good idea, let’s make some open source thing.

I am not going to download overADSwolf.

3 Likes

You could… maybe. Could break the client

Screw these people then.
Open source it is, because screw ads. No one wants them.

5 Likes

Even those of us who know what to do are like…it’s so tedious. I hated the process of downloading a bunch of addons and then unzipping and pasting them in.

Clicking a button to update is so much easier. Hell the best part of the twitch client was how easy it was to SEARCH for addons and then install them.

27 Likes

It’s not a bad idea, but finding someone to actually do it without asking for compensation in one way or another.

I’m not a wowup.io Patron so I can’t personally corroborate this information, but if this is in fact true there’d better be some proper uproar over this.

1 Like

I am a software dev and it depends on how much this addon nonsense makes me mad.

Ultimately I’ve gone on many “coding binge sprees” before. It wouldn’t be that hard. I’m not about to install some weird ad serving garbage that probably also slows down my internet connection and wastes processing time.

Screw that.

My ping and my processor time means something to me. I’m not about to have it dedicated to serve up garbage ads I don’t want.

13 Likes

I’d be more than happy to write something in python, but I’m no expert. Plus idk all the legalities behind having something essentially “scrape” from a website to circumvent ads and other messages from the site owners.

Might be worth mentioning Ajour, which is capable of pulling from sources other than CurseForge should push come to shove. From my understanding it even supports pulling addons straight from Github/Gitlab/etc, no intermediate addon site necessary.

8 Likes

Aren’t there many other websites though. Or maybe a new one needs to be made.

Either way if this is the route they are going they are clearly not consumer friendly and it’s time for them to go.

New website, new APIs, new installer. This one has got to go. Too much power and too comfortable.

6 Likes

Did you guys just seriously, unironically defend the hostile takeover of our addons by a 3rd party company looking to dump a bunch of addware garbage on our computers ?

52 Likes

I knew this was coming. The moment they announced the overwolf buy out I knew it would come. It’s the same MO companies used back in the early 2000’s. F Garbage wolf. I’m not installing their malware. In fact, I’m in the process of flagging their software to my anti-malware provider so that it gets flagged on other systems and automatically blocked and deleted if anyone tries to install it. They can thank me later.

Ultimately we as a community need to attack overwolf directly to ensure they know they are subservient to us and not the other way around. To that end:

I IMPLORE EVERYONE TO SEND MESSAGES TO THEIR ADDON AUTHORS POLITELY ASKING THEY MOVE THEIR ADDON HOSTING TO ALTERNATIVE WEBSITES.

MAKE OUR VOICES HEARD

Cesspool companies that run services like overwolf only bend to the bottom line. Teach them a lesson.

27 Likes

How big of a budget? I’m estimating hundreds a month to host all the addons submitted, plus we’d have to get everyone on board. It sounds cool, but starting something new like this would most likely tank very quickly.

I use a platform, might not be able to say the name since people might say I am “promoting it”.

But if it’s purely adon related? I can’t see needing more than this offer.

8GB 2vCPU 4TB 25GB 0.089 $60 Create
16GB 4vCPUs 5TB 50GB $0.179 $120 Create

We’re not exactly computing anything that heavy, if properly coded.

Several software developer ecosystems host libraries for free on Github, enabling anybody to legally write updaters. That would work for WoW addons too if addon devs made the push to switch over. Costs don’t have to be all that high.

$60/month?

Yeah. Getting a linux server on this platform is remarkably cheap and affordable tbh.

It’s what I’m using in my FFXIV websites.

if they try and block any add on managers
there will be a ton of youtube videos teaching players how to manually install them

9 Likes

What’s your discord, I have a few coders on speed dial

1 Like

This!! Very much this!!!

And thank you OP for the news. I didn’t think they were going to start as soon as this year.

We do desperately need to get the addon authors on the same page. This has been difficult for years now however once the battles over wowmatrix came up and split the authors. Back then the majority of better addons where on wowinterface or wowace (before being gobbled up by curse. . I have ALWAYS not liked curse)

I know as I was working on willitclassic some wanted an api, but the site was not meant to compete with wowi or curse/twitch. But I was vocal at the time in trying to get legitimate authors to host on github or gitlab.

The Tuk Elv team has kept their code inhouse and they are in a much better place for it.

The hardest part is going to be the userbase that is just used to grabbing an all in one client.

I support an open api and client with all addons hosted on repos that can be examined.

The MOD authors deserve better than what has happen

Ok, my rant is over. Don’t even know if it made any sense. :slight_smile:

4 Likes