Overwolf Client and Addon Management - PLEASE Don't Support This!

Because that’s unfeasible for most people. There’s way too many add-ons and many require daily updates.

No, installing manually is unviable.

Yes. Yes they do.

Why do you think people wanted a different addon manager from Overwolf in the first place?

7 Likes

I don’t recall saying it was alright, in fact

Like I said though, good luck :+1:

So my bank account should be getting smaller as I sit here then?

If my bank account isn’t moving, I haven’t paid :man_shrugging:

1 Like

how much would it even cost? :thinking:
we are not asking for Blizzard to make all the addons, just a place where you click a button and it puts the addon stuff into the folder/ updates it.

if an addon seems shady Blizz could remove it from the “trusted” addons.

2 Likes

It would probably be fine if they offered a site as an alternative to the app (maybe just keep the old Curse page up), but the way things are looking you have to install their software on your machine in order to install/update addons with it. THAT is a problem, because that opens up the possibility malware installation, snooping through your files, etc.

6 Likes

But no one is making money off that.

And forcing us to view ads, which results in payment, is requirement payment. Literally listed as :

Monetary compensation is occuring when I watch an ad pushed out by the Overwolf client.

2 Likes

And regardless of if it violates the policy or not, if somehow it didn’t, it’s Blizzard’s right to change the policy so that this can’t happen.

Which is why this thread exists, and why I encourage people to email them.

5 Likes

PoE Overlay was so cool :frowning:

I really can’t figure that out. It seems like one person said Overwolf is bad and everyone else jumped on the bandwagon. Kind of like the Wowhead thing or the curse client thing in the past.

You’re talking getting a developer on it (or multiple, who knows) to create it.
Upkeep of it.
And if you want curation that’s even more cost.

It’s not cheap to do something like this.

Again, just because you didn’t pay, doesn’t mean you weren’t involved in generating a monetary compensation.

If I force you to mow my lawn, your bank account doesn’t get smaller either, but you might resent the cracking of my whip.

time to stop using addons

1 Like

No… they are bad. They have been bad for a long long while.

They disappeared off the radar for some time and only now will be making a splash due to this acquisition.

2 Likes

Overwolf says that the curseforge website will still be there just like it is now, so you would still be able to use it to manually update addons, just like you can now.

No, it’s because many of us have experienced Overwolf’s garbage before.

2 Likes

Problem is, no one would do an addon site if they weren’t allowed to make money off ads.

Wowup.io was only able to exist because curseforge exists and curseforge is support by ads, without ads there would be no curseforge.

1 Like

It’s almost like there’s 3-4 different addon managers without ads.

It’s almost like they pull not only from Curse, but Github and WowInteface too.

It’s almost like Blizzard can host a site for addons for their own game.

Lets dumb it down a few.

Lets say you have a 1gb monthly plan you paid $10 for, and the ads ‘use’ 100mb. The ads cost you $1.

1 Like

The Curseforge website isn’t going anywhere, afaik. Twitch was purely an app. Curse originally had an app with ads on it too.

People are acting like this is the first time something like this had happened.

There will be an opt out option.

I just don’t agree with them monopolizing add-on management as if they’re allowed to. If it comes to it, I think add-on creators should use a different site, like WoW Ace.

wowace was gobbled up by curse years ago. They no longer exist as a separate entity