Overwolf bad for Blizzard/Activision business

Ownership already changed the 20th is just the launch date for the new CurseForge app.

2 Likes

ok not shutting down, but as said in other posts by the creator, it will offer far far fewer addons, only offering ones that are outside the curse forge api.

you can feel free to use overwolf all you wish. but many many other players do not like the way the company operates. and at the time my posts was created they were already flexing on other open sources and had a lot of backlash, so any damage control overwolf statements are irrelevant to me because of their bad rep in general. And (if) they do try to force themselves as only source of automatic updated wow add-on, it will still be a bad thing simply based on the majority of gamers feelings on the company

How about we let Blizzard worry about what is, and is not, good for their business. I am pretty sure they know a bit more on what that entails than we do.

edit: Since Overwolf already hosts some things for their other IPs, I am gonna go out on a limb and assume they see no issue.

Wrong again. :man_facepalming:

One takeaway from the meeting was that nothing is changing yet. So, for now it’s business as usual continuing to provide a client that does what you need.

1 Like

losing any business at all due to factors outside your own business design & control, is essentially considered bad for business

That is what would be referred to as acceptable losses. If they are going to lose subs over something they can not control then… whatever.

And again, you’re incorrect. Nothing is changing right now with the API.

Also never said this. But you do seem to enjoy twisting things to fit your narrative, hmm?

Gamers and add-on creators alike have choices. They are not forced. They can all swap to Wowinterface or something new if it gets bad. No one is stuck.

1 Like

pretty sure Overwolf will be paying the addon makers based on how many people download it, so us paying OW to get rid of ads so they can pay the addon makers is actually us paying for addons.

2 Likes

I’m sorry, are you saying people will quit the game if they can’t download add-ons from Wowup or Ajour? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

If it is, then Blizzard will come down on them. However, I don’t expect it does regardless of how you want to twist it.

Not true the Curse Client had a Premium subscription for years.

1 Like

you’re saying I’m “incorrect” based on statements Overwolf made. and I’m saying things based on statements made by Wowup. but my statements are false and yours are correct based on it hasn’t happened “yet”. really just starting to sound like an overwolf fanboy/girl tbh

if it doesn’t happen then great. I will use open source add-on managers. but THIS post exists because they had been contacting other users of the api about stopping. unless wowup and other sources found by a quick google search are all lying about it for whatever reason

1 Like

I use 77 addons.

2 Likes

You’re wrong based on statements made by the creator of WowUp.

"One takeaway from the meeting was that nothing is changing yet. So, for now it’s business as usual continuing to provide a client that does what you need."

1 Like

Nobody is forcing you to use twitch or overwolf, though. Just install addons like people used to?

The issue is getting addon publishers on-board; and I see that being difficult if Overwolf is effectively going to help fund that development (as most addon’s require some non-trivial work).

Making a sync-client and a site is fairly trivial (everyday CRUD stuff); then you have obviously the scale of the community and the costs associated.

Most “free” hosting platforms will only be “free” until they feel it’s abuse and then will start charging or put some QoS gates around your application which will damage the experience.

2 Likes

Question… Does anyone know for certain if the sites have to offer a manual download option? Could Overwolf force us to use their garbage? Does Blizzard have any sort of that type of protection for us users?

There’s been no indication that you won’t be able to download manually.

1 Like

Wrong. I’m saying you’re incorrect based on statements from app developers of Wowup and Ajour. You have already proven you’re incapable of comprehending what’s being said. You just keep twisting things.

And if it’s one thing that annoys the begeezus out of me, it’s people misinterpreting things to create drama.

Once again, not reading or comprehending anything that was said. I use both Ajour and Wowup and have contributed to their apps.

The site will still offer manual installation. Going to their site, you’ll see ads, so they don’t have a problem with that.

And for now, unless things change in the future, I suggest using Wowup.io or Ajour for management apps.

Agreed. I think that’s his only objective.

1 Like