Overpower - Invalid target

Don’t know if this has been reported but…

Often, when I try to use Overpower (warrior) on a target with low HP, it will tell me ‘‘invalid target’’ and I won’t be able to use the skill. The mob is still alive and still have hp left.

meant to post with Zwitterion but w/e

Only useable after target dodges. Does that help? Like if a rogue hits evasion… you hit OP. Ouch!

I know that. But when it becomes available, it won’t let me use it because the target it ‘‘invalid’’, even when it just dodged.

There’s a bug where if you ever change your target to something that didn’t dodge your attack, or clear your target, your ability to use Overpower gets disabled. So after one of your attacks gets dodged, you have 1 shot to change to exactly that target.

I have this sneaking suspicion that the bug was active in Vanilla. And you know, #nochanges and all.

ahhh thanks for confirming my thoughts.

I just noticed that if you change your target, Overpower becomes unusable…

It’s quite annoying =\

Oh that IS annoying.

That’s not a bug, that’s how the ability is designed. Read it, it’s logical. Why would you be able to overpower what didn’t dodge you?

1 Like

You are not reading his comment correctly. He’s saying that after a target dodges, if you switch off to another target then back to the target, the dodge ability becomes unavailable. Same thing happens when you clear your target then re-select it.

I’m experiencing this bug in-game.

Read what I said closer.

You’re targeting targetA. TargetA dodges your attack. You can activate Overpower.

You’re targeting targetA. TargetA dodges your attack. You target targetB. You then change targets to targetA. You cannot activate Overpower.

You’re targeting targetA. TargetA dodges your attack. You clear your target. You then change targets to targetA. You cannot activate Overpower.

You’re targeting targetB. TargetA dodges your attack. You change targets to targetA. You can activate Overpower.

You’re targeting targetB. TargetA dodges your attack. You change targets to targetC. You then change targets to targetA. You cannot activate Overpower.

In every scenario, targetA is the one that dodged the attack, but in several scenarios, you can’t activate Overpower.

Once you swap away you lose the ability to use overpower. You can swap to the target, not away from.

I understood what you wrote, I just don’t see how you think you can just hang onto an OP. You use it after a target dodges, if you swap, you lose it - just like combo points.

Is that a legitimate bug or are you just unhappy with how it works?

Using your example of combo points. Rogues do not lose their combo points by just switching to a target. They lose their pts by using an ability that generates combo pt(s) on a different target. I don’t understand how your argument is valid regarding overpower. We simply loses the ability to use overpower just by choosing a different target and coming back even when not attacking or using an ability on the second target.

There is also a bug making Overpower unusable when a target is low on health. It happens quite often that I get a mob low health, he dodges, and then Overpower cannot be used because the target is an “invalid target” somehow.

Surely I’m not the only one that experienced this ? :confused:

Your statement about combo points is incorrect. There are two scenarios for deselecting a target with combo points.

A) You generate combo points on Target A. You deselect Target A but do NOT select a second target. Then you re-select Target A. Your combo points have not been lost.
B) You generate combo points on Target A. You select Target B but do not take ANY actions. You re-select Target A. Your combo points have been lost.

I imagine Overpower is coded the same way, although I don’t agree that it should be.

I see. Thanks for the correction. Yes it seems that OP is working the same way as combo points and you’re right. It should not be this way.

If your off target dodges cleave you can swap to it and overpower it.

1 Like

I have experienced this as well. The button actually is lit up any everything. Very inconsistent. This is without swapping targets as well.

1 Like

Same here.

bump for visibility

I’m not sure the full details of the situation you’re describing, but I have a feeling it’s happening not because the mob is on low health, but because you cleaved and multiple targets dodged the cleave. It seems that multiple dodges results in only being able to overpower one of the targets that dodged, and you just have to try each one til it works. I don’t know if this is intended behavior.