Overcrowded Realm Update

This is very telling of just how much Blizzard still believes “You think you do , but you don’t.”

Will there be attrition? Of course. However, Blizzard has placed too much concern on NOT having to merge servers… and the cost will be very large queues and a lot of people not being able to play… or not able to play with friends/family stuck in queues.

There was no clear best choice here… and Blizzard is trying o take the least negatively impactful option here. But the decision is based on the assumption that Classic interest will drop quickly and severely.

If they are right… all will be well but launch will be a very bad experience for all but the most lucky… if they are wrong… the not only will launch be very bad… but the server will still be very overcrowded with long queues.

You have to keep in mind that, despite all the “guesses” with how many people play modern WoW… server identity is dead. Blizzard instituted cross-realm for a reason… because some (maybe many) servers are dead.

I have logged in at various times of day, days o the week… and if you run into the AH… you will see people from 8, 10, a dozen or more servers phased into your own.

This would not be necessary if a server had enough people to populate it’s own community.

I believe they are greatly underestimating just how important this is in an MMO… or at least, the many, many people who have stopped playing WoW because this crucial aspect was removed from the game several years ago.

1 Like

Isn’t it great?! Blizzard is sticking to their announced plan. As few realms as possible to mitigate the tourist impact on realms.

People don’t want to move in fear of low populations.

Not a problem, Blizzard won’t open more until the current ones are full.

But, they are all full…the only one that is at medium is the newest PvP server.

The game hasn’t started yet. What’s full are the realms we were given early access to for the sole purpose of creating some characters in advance. It appears most of us here were able to do that. Mission accomplished.

later today more realms will open up. Maybe a lot more. Blizzard will sort that as demand requires. You may play on your reserved name realms, or you may choose to play on a new one. Nobody knows (certainly including you) what things are going to be like in a few hours. Relax. This is just part of the adventure.

Correct, by design. They won’t open more without the others of it’s type being full.

I am speaking of the PvE servers. They are all full…

We all know. You don’t need another until game time, 8 hours from now. Just pretend early name grab didn’t happen.

Same applies to all types.

Full is by design

But my response is to you saying that they wouldn’t make another server until all of that type were full…which they are…

They are very worried about having dead servers later on.

The “Type” includes all the data.

Region, PvP/PvE/ RP/ RP-PvP, East/Pacific.

Near launch time they will open more. Then when those fill, even more.

All realms full with a 5ish min que means Blizzard successfully balanced the realms

I think people should just be happy, like I’m excited for “over population” yes it can feel crowded but it means there are more people to run into during your experience.
I am glad that Blizzard is trying to make this a reality and is this launch going to be perfect no. There are players seriously complaining about a damn server name. Give me a break you damn snowflakes xD

We know that. They didn’t say they would do it instantly did they? It was the weekend. The Classic team took some time off. It looks like you should have taken some time away too.

5ish minute? Get ready for hours upon hours for queues

1 Like

the problem is Blizzard may just CAUSE the drop in players for not having enough realms to cover everyone. People are already banded to certain servers when blizzard asked them to do it and now you have to try and get everyone in your guild to agree to move … plus try to keep character names… They just caused the problem.

1 Like

Only time will tell. Blizzard chose a strategy. Let it play out, there is nothing else to be done. You may think you have a better idea, but you are just guessing like the rest of us.

Not sure you followed what I said.

Didn’t say anything about the que will be. If people don’t want to spread out. Endure the excessively long que is the motivator.

Which is easily solved by connecting servers. But what the heck, it’s easier to inconvenience the players and save money.

2 Likes

Have you seen the massive uproar over combined realms? The Classic minded player will nerdrage so hard at the -realm tags

1 Like

im not sure why they dont just make starting zones their own server for the first 10 levels, then you actually pick your server after that.

2 Likes