Overcrowded Realm Update

While I appreciate the update, this bothers me. I played on a medium pop to low pop server back then, and really loved it. I tried a high pop server and did not like it. This is bothersome to me, but I’m probably the only one bothered by it.

Before anyone tries to ‘educate’ me on the value of a high pop server, please don’t. I’ve already heard it all before. Thanks.

14 Likes

So they can fit all the players on one realm with their new layering technology…

But, they won’t be able to turn off layering in the future without players getting extremely long login queues.

4 Likes

They expect 50% (at least) drop by Phase 2, I would assume.

4 Likes

If you don’t mind it terribly, you might be safe on one of the RP servers. Maybe.

I appreciate the honesty, but i’m gonna pass on that.

I’d rather wait in queue every time i log in for months and feel certain my server will be popular and vibrant a year from launch, then roll on the consolation server and take a chance at being on a lower pop realm.

12 Likes

so open up more servers? why are you letting this be a thing when the original game’s world is so small? you even admit to as much with your line about forestalling the problem. phase 2 is going to be a problem in regards to in-game sustainability for anything medium+

6 Likes

i moved my toons off whitemane after seeing its popularity explode, but theres more EST servers than PST so my options are limited if i wanted the lowest ping lol.

4 Likes

Blizzard is assuming a high player dropoff rate, I’m guessing. Having a packed server isn’t a big deal if half the players quit in a month. Well, that’s what they’re hoping for anyway.

4 Likes

so open up more servers?

They did, and not enough people are making characters there. That’s the point of this post.

34 Likes

Blizzard should make just one server without layering so these “no-layering” folks finally understand why it is needed.

6 Likes

they just opened new server, yet people are not switching. removing layers will not compensate for the people who quit, and there will be MASSIVE queue for herod on phase 2.
Imagine doing BWL on phase 2 week 1 and your main tank crashes, 1h to relog, bye raid.

18 Likes

i mean to say that they’re not opening up enough. 1 additional server for people to realize “oh dang these queues are huge” is completely missing the point that even if you don’t have queues as medium+ population, you’re still going to be struggling to get literally anything non-instanced done because of how massively bloated the game world will be post-layering

Just have a single megaserver of each type for the region.

This is 2019, every other MMO has megaservers

5 Likes

That would only work if I were interested in RP’ing, which I’m not. It’s not fair to those who do RP to fill their servers with non-rp’ers.

I’ll deal with whatever happens, classic is something I never thought I’d live to see and as long as the community is decent I’ll stick it out. Just seems to me the more people there are, the less mature they become.

7 Likes

The point of this whole thread is that more servers aren’t going to be nearly as useful if an insane number of players are still just going to dogpile the Herod server anyway.

They made a new server and people are still dogpiling on Herod, which is going to cause problems for the people playing there if they keep doing it.

People wanting to play on Herod are going to have massive queue times at launch(Blizzard already said this before), and it’s going to get really bad when layering is gone if people continue piling on the server.

14 Likes

Honestly this is kind of your fault Blizz, by only giving the East Coasters 3 PvP servers to work with you should have known that streamers were likely claiming one, and then South Americans would also be playing and claim another. That left only Herod for English speaking people who wanted to avoid drama and people speaking other languages. Europe opened language specific servers for their players, why that wasn’t taken into consideration for South America is unknown to me.

While opening Stalagg was nice, I and others had already swapped from Faerlina to Herod because the streamers chose Faerlina. Swapping servers again after already doing it once, before the game is even out I might add, just doesn’t look good especially after we already reserved our names on Herod.

41 Likes

I’m glad for the update, but I think if there had been more servers for East Coast PvP to begin with, people would have spread out more. People on Herod have already reserved their names, some may move to avoid the ques, but the majority won’t want to move losing their names and will endure them. Herod will have bad ques for a long time ,I think. Blizzard really should have been paying attention to the forums when people were saying they didn’t want to play with the streamers and they didn’t want to join Thalnos because of the language barrier with BR private server folks and we needed more PVP East coast servers to choose from.

14 Likes

This is interesting. The main concern is if Stalagg will stay populated when the inevitable dropoff happens within a month or two. At that point, Stalagg might be low pop/dying and Herod might be normal population. It’s quite the conundrum. I certainly do not want to have massive login queues and an overcrowded server, but I think I would rather have that than risk a potentially dead server afterwards.

What, if any, plans are there to combat that happening in the future?

9 Likes

I think they probably should have used a more desirable realm name than Stalagg.
It makes a big difference.

13 Likes

Why don’t you all just wait to see if the population falls off, instead of insisting that it is going to absolutely happen?

10 Likes