Outlaw rogue: buff roll the bones and nerf blade flurry

Everyone seems to hate roll the bones and calls it troll the bones, and while i don’t hate it as much as others do i think its too reliant on rng and sometimes the buffs are completely useless. You waste combo points and energy points on a buff that doesn’t really affect your current situation. So here’s what i propose. You should get at least 2 buffs from roll the bones. And they should be specific too.
First buff,100% chance: You receive Skull and Crossbones or broadside
Second buff,100% chance: You receive Buried treasure or True bearing or the previous buff you didn’t get previously (SaC or broadside)
Third buff, 80% chance:You receive Grand melee or Ruthless Precision or one of the previous buffs you haven’t received yet.
4th buff,60% chance: You receive a buff you haven’t received yet
5th buff, 40% chance: You receive a buff you haven’t received yet.
6th buff, 20% chance: You receive a buff you haven’t received this.
This may seem OP, and maybe it is. But i think there would be fair ways to balance this. Make the buffs last 25 secs with 5 combo points. DS(6 combo points) for 30 secs. Make it cost 30 energy.Nerf blade flurry to 25% with a slightly longer cd. On a side note, I think that outlaw needs a small energy buff. Unless you’re only picking gear with haste(which I think is pretty rare because most ppl go for crit), you usually just stand there waiting for your energy to refill which should never be the case with any class.

The rng aspect of roll the bones kills the spec for me as it removes my ability to control how my character plays.

I’d like to see it removed entirely and replaced with slice and dice baseline, with buffs to combo point generating abilities.

7 Likes

which is why im proposing to make it less rng reliant and give u something useful in every situation

Just make it so that rogues recieved every buff and the duration is extended per combo point.

Then nerf the effects to compensate.

I don’t wanna have to press roll the bones 8 times in a row to get all my buffs lol

1 Like

having all 6 buffs is kinda op though, and i would rather the buffs stayed as they were instead of nerfing them. The thing is 2 or 3 of the buffs barely help, broadside and SaC and maybe buried treasure are the ones that really help. Which is why i think you should have to get one of the more useful buffs before getting the ones that arent very useful in most situations. With these changes you would get guaranteed 2 buffs and get 3 buffs nearly every time, and they would be only useful ones.

Just so we are all on the same page, RtB changes aside, you are proposing a nerf to a talent that is already a net loss over not taking any talent in that row.

Which talent?

Not going to quote your entire thing, however…

1. SnD is already a nerfed talent to the point that not taking a talent at that tier is better than SnD. SnD doesn’t need a nerf anymore than what it’s already received.
  2. You’re leaving out why people hate RtB so much, and that is RNG. Your proposal doesn’t fix the RNG. At least, not really. It gives some RNG protection. But as long as RtB has RNG, it will be a horrible ability. SND is favored by so many players simply to circumvent the horrible RNG, and will continue to do so.

RtB doesn’t need fixing. It needs removing. It ruined what was once the most fun spec in the game - Combat.

1 Like

SnD is already terrible, they should completely change it. Nerfing it doesnt really matter at this point because of how garbage it is. With these changes RtB guarantees the most helpful buffs. Best case scenario they completely rework outlaw and remove RtB but blizz never does stuff like that so i feel like this would be the second best thing.

IMO SND is not far off from being really good. SND is a number tuning problem not a mechanical problem like RTB.

As for RTB Loaded Dice should have been rolled into the base kit and then buff the weakest single rolls or make single rolls give a bonus + haste buff.

Easier fix is to make Alacarity baseline with Loaded Dice.

In WotLK “Alacrity” aka Lightning Reflexes was easily available for the spec to function.

1 Like

The difference between SND sucking and RTB sucking is tuning versus mechanical.

SND: fun, but numbers aren’t good.
RTB: Numbers are good, but the mechanics of the ability is about as fun as a week-long bout of diarrhea and stomach flu at the same time. Which end do you need to have over the toilet? RTB is kind of like that…

SND just needs a numbers buff. RTB needs to just go away because RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG inside of a single ability just isn’t fun. At all.

Personally I liked the early legion RTB because single buffs were stronger and very fun. Plus, being able to roll three or six buffs felt good.

The meta then was fishing for TB. But fishing of TB wasn’t necessary but it was really, really fun.

And if not keeping a single buff was perfectly fine if it was strong or you were looking for 2 or 3 buffs.

Current RTB feels very neutered and reliant on alacrity to function. Feels bad.

New rogue here, one noob question: Why does blade furrry need to be nerfed?

if RtB is going to get a buff as huge as the one i proposed, then i think a small nerf to blade flurry is ok.

1 Like

I don’t mind the idea of RNG for RtB. It’s just annoying how wildly unbalanced some of the buffs are. Huge crit buff, yay! Minor energy regen buff, meh. If they could manage to actually balance the buffs against each other then the RNG around which one you get wouldn’t matter.

the huge crit buff isn’t really that good imo, i would like if they buffed the energy buff though.

A Few things they could do is hard bake Blade Furry into SnD. Or at least make the Talent add SnD to Blade Furry.

And RtB shouldn’t be the major source of Buffs for Outlaw.
RtB should at most be a secondary, “extra” buffs that a player COULD choose between that or a SnD/Blade Furry option.

Remove RtB’s Combo point cost and give it 2 charges like Blade Flurry.
Each Buff would have a set duration (say 30 secs) and a recharge of the same duration.
You can still roll for anywhere between 1-6 buffs But only 2 chances within that duration to get anything.

If the weaker buffs were a little stronger it would be fun. If it was worth running what you got as opposed to rerolling it would add a lot of spice to the class

1 Like

Stronger buffs doesn’t change the fact that your damage is completely dictated by sinister strike procs and whether or not BTE / PS crits. RTB is trash but it’s not even remotely the biggest issue with the spec.

Also at OP, lol @ nerfing BF. It’s already gutted when you compare it to warrior / BM / dh before factoring in corruptions. Outside of Atal and TD for cannon tricks there’s very little reason to bring a rogue at all when pretty much every other melee is going to do more damage in a key.

2 Likes

Maybe Roll the Bones shouldn’t even BE standalone Buffs.

Broadside should be a conical Attack that does damage to Enemies directly in front of Rogue.
True bearing Should Immediately reset all Cooldowns.
Grand melee Should give a timed buff of increased dodge and Melee while increasing the Rogue’s Accuracy.
Etc

1 Like