Outlaw Redesign Concept, Melee/Ranged Hybrid spec

(Or this could be it’s own spec entirely, I just started with Outlaw as a base really)

Lots of desire for Rogues to get more attention on different levels, so I thought I’d draft up my own thoughts for an Outlaw rework. This started as a “This might be neat” idea and I figured it’d be fun to try to flesh it out and share it.

==========

The problems with Outlaw in the first place

Primarily I feel that Outlaw’s problems stem from a fundamental disagreement or lack of understanding of what an Outlaw Rogue should even be. What is an Outlaw Rogue? From even back when it was called Combat Rogue, it was loosely themed as the “Less stealth, more in-your-face” style of Rogue. Since being turned to Outlaw in Legion, it has changed to be more of a swashbuckler or pirate with an increasingly problematic gambling addiction which is a pretty narrow fantasy to pursue.

This always felt like a rather weak fantasy, yet specific enough that it seems like the gameplay itself is pigeonholed into trying to vaguely fulfill whatever it thinks it is.

To me, an Outlaw is a cunning criminal and underhanded fighter. Beheld to little more than a conveniently flexible moral code, Outlaws will do whatever it takes to achieve their goal. To stay ahead of the law, they must be skillful and adaptable to react to whatever trouble comes for them, or that they get themselves thrown into.

===============
The Highlight

Weapons: 1-Hand Sword/Axe/Mace and 2-Hand Ranged (equipped in Off-Hand slot)

• Switch It Up
  • Leap away/Lunge Towards your target, dealing moderate damage and switching to your melee/ranged weapon and abilities. 30 Second Cooldown.

This is the unique mechanic for both this version of Outlaw and for the game in general, a build that actively switches between melee and ranged. To maintain rotational cohesiveness, the abilities would automatically change between the two stances and fill the same function within the rotation. Ranged Stance also has a shorter range, probably 25 yards like the Evoker.

Unpredictable (buff)
Switch It Up grants you Unpredictable for 60 seconds, increasing (damage or critical hit chance) by X%. When Unpredictable ends, your next use of Switch It Up deals greatly increased damage.

The intention here is that you can switch a bit more often if the situation calls for it, but optimally you will switch about once per minute due to the damage boost. This could also be lengthened or shortened to change the rotation cadence, possibly with a choice node talent to cater to player preference.

===============

Core Rotation Abilities

Sinister Strike remains and turns into Potshot when in Ranged Stance

Pistol Shot remains and turns into Shank (a stab with a drawn off-hand blade) when in Melee stance, both being used for Opportunity-style procs. Ranged stance has a somewhat slower but harder hitting damage profile and the procs’ effects should account for that.

Dispatch remains as melee’s low-priority finisher.

Between the Eyes is converted into ranged’s low priority finisher, hitting a bit harder than Dispatch to account for a bit slower CP generation.

Some kind of DoT
There should also probably be some kind of upkeep ability, assuming Slice and Dice is eventually removed. I imagine some kind of Bleed that’s applied in Melee Stance and a poison or burn type effect when in Ranged Stance. This would allow a period of overlap following stance switches with potential extra interactions for having both applied such as double dipping on an energy generation passive.

===============

High priority Finishers (Bigger damage with a cooldown, about ~20-25 seconds so you should get 2-3 off per stance cycle)

• Beatdown (melee)
  • Ruthlessly assault your target in a channeled attack, ensnaring them for the duration. Damage and channel duration based on combo points spent (~0.3 seconds per cp)

A Fists of Fury-like channeled attack focusing many moderate hits on one target, can cleave with Blade Flurry.

• Stickup (Ranged)
  • Hold up your current target before shooting them anyway. Stickup always critically hits. Enemies not yet in combat are also feared in place for the cast duration. (Max X seconds, reduced against players) Empowered Cast.
    Level 1: Deals damage based on combo points consumed and robs them for a few coins
    Level 2: Fire an additional shot from your pistol at another nearby target for X% damage and activate Trick Shots for 30 seconds, applying to this attack
    Level 3: Toss your smoking pistol to a nearby party member, prioritizing any in a Tank specialization, redirecting threat generated from this attack towards them. When not in a group, throw it at your target instead, dazing them.

Thought it could be time to give other classes the empowered attacks introduced with Evokers, with the greater empowerment levels being more situational. With Ranged Stance dealing bigger hits less frequently, the guaranteed crit keeps the damage profile consistent.

===============

AoE

• Blade Flurry it retained and largely the same as current, causing all melee damage to cleave to nearby targets for reduced damage.

• Trick Shots is the Ranged Stance equivalent and causes your ranged CP spenders to ricochet between targets in a slightly wider area than Blade Flurry. Ricochet damage percentage is higher if not 100% due to only replicating finishers, behaving similar to Chain Lightning. Activated by Stickup Empower level 2, but can also be manually activated with the Blade Flurry ability if needed.

Had some ideas with Blade Flurry also being activated by some other means than an ability, such as by striking different targets with your abilities 3 times in a row or something, but couldn’t quite think of a satisfying alternative. This would make it more in line with Trick Shots being activated by empowerment. If activated in such a way, the Blade Flurry ability would become a 1.5-2min ability that immediately activates cleaving for either stance. Maybe I’ve been in tab-target Hell for too long as Assassination to want to make rapid target switching necessary for AoE, let me know what you think.

===============
Big Cooldown

Double Trouble
Your body double joins the fray, using the opposite combat stance as you and mirroring your moves while generating combo points and Opportunity procs for you.

Summons a very similar looking clone that generates CP and Procs, speeding up the rotation similar to Adrenaline Rush with a bit more flavor. Can be tweaked with things like faster GCD and reduced cooldown for Beatdown/Stickup.

===============

Random Talent, Passive, and Ability ideas:

Kidney Shot
Turns into Shoot Kidney when in Ranged Stance

Never Go Quietly
Unleash one last attack at a nearby enemy before succumbing to lethal damage, preferring your killer.
Melee Stance: Swing your weapon with the last of your strength at your enemy (one big hit)
Ranged Stance: Unload the last of pistol ammo into your enemy. (rapid fire, finally dual wielding pistols)

Thrill of the Crime
While casting Beatdown or Stickup, energy regeneration is increased by X%

Confident Walk
Walk like you own the place, reducing movement speed and making you neutral to most hostile humanoids, dragonkin, demons, and mechanical creatures. Interacting with most quest objectives does not break Confident Walk. Combo Points steadily fill while walking near enemies. Lasts until cancelled and breaks upon combat or mounting.

Backup Plan
When a party member dies, the cooldown of Switch It Up is reset. If that party member is in a Tank Specialization, Evasion is also reset and will taunt your target. (X second cooldown)

No Witnesses
Killing an enemy allows you to see any other enemies within X yards of the corpse, including those hidden or behind obstacles. (Might be fun for PvP)

===============
Glyph ideas (Pepperidge Farm Remembers Glyphs)

Fraternal Double
Your double is the opposite gender

Double Agent Double
Your double is the opposite faction

Loyal Double
When Cheat Death is activated, your body double’s corpse is dropped.

Duplicitous Double
When Cheat Death is activated, your body is dropped and you take on the appearance of your Double until Cheat Death is available again.

Shank
Shank uses a dagger from your inventory

===============

Think all that should give a solid enough idea of what I’m going for. Obviously this is a pretty total rework and certainly far removed from the original Combat Rogue, but I thought it would make for a unique spec with a stronger core fantasy and matching gameplay for the Outlaw title.

Would be great to hear what others think, as well as ideas for additional talents or tweaks.

1 Like

The problem this has is that it’s:

1. Not instanced friendly.
  2. Why would you switch between melee and ranged, when ranged is superior?
  3. It has a taunt? Why?
  1. Not entirely unfriendly, groups rarely need an exact composition of ranged vs melee. I also imagine this being shorter range like Evoker. Not jumping back and forth 40 yards each time. (will add this to main post)
  2. Fun. If you need the practical reason, switching at a certain interval is what the Unpredictable buff enforces.
  3. Provides chance to prevent cascading deaths resulting from tank death before brez goes through.
1 Like
  1. If its short range than why bother making an entirely ranged aspect then?
  2. That’s not enough for people to swap in an out of melee/ranged.
  3. That will not prevent a single death, especially your own.
  1. It’s long enough range. If Evokers can make it work, so can this.
  2. If the tuning is correct and you’re playing the spec because you like the idea, then yes it will.
  3. Quickly popping Evasion after pulling aggro from a tank death has saved my groups plenty of times. This is also clearly meant to be like a side bonus that could be optional via choice node. It’s a neat thing you can maybe take because it could make for a cool moment, hardly a main feature and kinda missing the forest for the trees.
1 Like

What is the main feature? The range dancing? I’m going to be honest with you, that does not sound appetizing.

It does to me, certainly more than Roll the Bones RNG nonsense at least. Would love to be able to used ranged combat as a Rogue without just being another Marksman Hunter.

Reminds me playing Thief on Guild Wars 2 a few years back now that I think about it, switching between a melee set and Ranged weapon, and shifting accordingly.

1 Like