Outlaw combat sounds

Hello all. I know, this isn’t high priority, but could we do a pass on the sounds that outlaw rogues make when they use Sinister Strike. The grating sound really gets on the nerves after awhile.

4 Likes

You actually play with game sound on?

I know…i have played without sounds before (added own background music or something), but for PVP the ambient sounds can be important.

This is sorta like hunter’s old gun sound effects. They were just a bit too harsh and they got streamlined.

2 Likes

Too harsh and streamlined as opposed to sounding like a gun?

Blizzard killed the gun sounds, and now they sound like arrows. They didn’t tone them, they deleted them :rofl:

I like the rogue sounds, but then to me they sound like knives should. A slicing sound, a bit like running a blade down a steel.

Just remember, if they grant your wish, it’ll end up something like a marshmallow landing from a 30 foot drop. Blizzard simply do not tone.

3 Likes

Yeah the sounds are the worst. I hate how it also sounds like weird swishing slashing sharp sound even if you’re using maces.

It’s just one of those things that Blizzard obviously originally put thought into, but their new idea people clearly have no idea what Metzen and them were looking at when they made the game. There’s some stuff where they managed to find a sweet spot, like the new casting animation for Paladins with that Libram, that’s on point. But the majority of stuff is, including & in a lot of cases especially sound design, just clashing with the base game.

The new animations used to be a large part of discussion. Special attacks in the game vor the vast majority used base-animations for each race. Sinister Strike was Attack1H, (you can still see the animations if you view 3D in WoWHead’s tool.) Which looked different for every race. Eviscerate was (and thankfully still is) Special1h, which is also different for every race. What this meant is they all naturally Meshed with your characters Auto Attacks, making combat look and feel more fluid.

the old animations didn’t force your character into any unnatural positions, while the new animations (example backstab, ambush, rupture/nightblade, etc.) all force your character into a long, flashy animation that creates this weird hovering /sliding feeling while you run around during combat. Which, as a melee, ofc you’re running around while fighting. so now not only are they universal, and force you to break the visual rhythm of your character fighting, but they don’t align with the style of your race.

There’s no shortage of the strange animation choices they made. Cheapshot had a specific animation, I can’t find the right designation for it in ModelViewer, but it wasn’t the current 1hUnarmed attack which is really awkward to see my character half-spam because i’m out of range of the target, spamming this swooshing sound effect because of lag or whatever. Half-playing animations that can’t fire is another side-effect of Legion.

2 Likes

What you’re looking for can be achieved with an addon: Mute Annoying WoW Sounds which can be found on the Curseforge website. I know of this addon for two reasons. Firstly I wanted to get rid of Ashes of A’lar’s annoying wing flap sound. Secondly I wanted to make it seem like my character never misses her melee auto-attacks which I achieved through muting the melee miss sounds along with using the Mik Scrolling Battle Text addon to remove melee misses from my floating combat text. I hate how any of our attacks can miss these days without us being able to do anything about it but now I’ve successfully circumvented that. You could get rid of the parry sound and floating combat text too if you wanted.

Anyway, back to SS. As you probably know the ability used to be called Saber Slash before the name was reverted back to Sinister Strike so the sound files are called “SPELL_RO_SaberSlash_Cast”. The IDs of these sound files can be found on the website that the addon displays a link to after you install it. This website lists all the sound files in the game in searchable format. Simply copy/paste the 4 IDs into the addon and they’ll be muted. I know it’s not ideal since the ability will then make no sound at all but at least it won’t be so grating while you can still listen to the rest of the game.

IDs for Saber Slash sounds:

IDs for melee auto-attack misses:

2 Likes

Yep, they’re awful. The barely make sense for swords and don’t make any sense at all for the other weapon types. I was happy with what they did for gun autoattacks and solar wrath so I’m sure a quick re-evaluation would do wonders here too.

Check CurseForge. Download Simple Sound Replacer.

Go find a sound you like in .WAV or .MP3. You can use a free WAV to Ogg or MP3 to Ogg converter online, follow the directions in the .LUA file and you’ll be set. I have mine set to punch sounds for my mostly-naked Kul Tiran brawler Outlaw.

It doesn’t seem to work on mastery sounds like Main Gauche though, so I just have that muted.