Outdoor Rare Unique-skin Hunter Pet Tames

One issue with the trend towards wanting groups of players in outdoor content such as rares, is that it is actively a contradictory and conflicting philosophy to having Unique Skins attached to those mobs that Hunters would like to tame. For example the “Envoy of Winter” has the uniquely largest antler’s of the new Dreamstag Pale coloring. For most rares, this is only a minor annoyance in the case of new content release, yeah I’m excited to tame the new pet, but having to do so during off-peak hours or camp it to catch it when it spawns is part of the challenge a little bit and I’m used to it at this point. It’s still usually achievable.

However, for rares that have a “delayed” spawn mechanism, or rares which have a zonewide announcement prior to “activating” or spawning in to give some warning and allow players to gather, it has now been 5 weeks of the new zone and I am still unable to tame this for myself, as the delay causes inevitably 1 or more people to arrive before I am able to solo-deposit all of the flowers to spawn him, and all it takes is 1 person to thwart the tame attempt.

Made worse is that, if I participate in the kill, I am unable to spawn the mob later in the week currently, as I have “locked” myself to the rare loot. This is something that you can only really learn through negative experience, and then hopefully warn others.

In the future, I think this needs a rethinking, It arrives to a similar problem that “Consumption” in Korthia had, where all it takes is 1 person griefing intentionally or unintentionally to ruin the experience. If rares are going to be a piece of content aimed at outdoor groups, Hunter pet appearances need an alternative system to acquire and collect (like the dragonriding manuscripts that drop from killing the mob instead).

This is work around-able via shard hopping to lower population realms and whatnot, but imo this is a poor bandaid and a clunky solution to a problem that does not need to exist, albeit a minor one, its something that I think has a lot of room for “cooler” and more engaging possibilities.

2 Likes