Origin of flame (17 of 17)

((This is a repost of Rose’s background story. The old forums were deleted and I had no intention of posting it again due to how long it was. However, after the Guard day event and the tavern chat after I kind of wanted to redo some of the story. With some of the themes coming in the next xpac and hoping some upgrades fix my online issues, I hope to maybe further the story. To keep it simple, I’ll only post segments rather than the whole thing at one sitting. Just to much for one post so maybe 4 chapters every other week (when I get a weekend off to edit). Hope you enjoy…))

“My child, what is it you see in the flames you cause?” asked a man in robes.

“I see pain, anger and rage, yet I do not know why that is all I feel. In my heart I know there is something more, but I cannot seem to ever recall what those things are.” Rose replied.

The man in the robes nodded. “You are driven by emotions that have been locked in place by a power that does not belong to you. There is beauty in what you create, but without control all you will do is harm. I can help you if you let me.”

Rose looked at the man hesitant. “I-I feel wrong, but I don’t know what to do.”

The man came closer and placed his hands on her head. “Child, it is ok to feel unsure, but to want change, to fix what is broken and undo what wrongs you have done you have to want it. To do so however, will cause pain, but in time that will pass.”

Rose lowered her head and the man began to speak in a soothing tone. As he spoke, her mind began to swirl with emotions unfelt in many years. Pain began to creep into her mind causing her to jerk her head back. Stepping back, the man in robes stood startled.

“Please, I must finish, the seal isn’t complete!” he said attempting to place his hands on her head again.

Still shaken, Rose stepped back refusing to let him touch her. “No! Get away from me!” she screamed releasing a wave of flames that covered the man. As he burned, she fell to her knees holding her head in pain as she passed out.

Waking some time later, she stood as her mind had a cool feeling that washed over her creating a calm she hadn’t felt in a long time. While this was a pleasant feel, one thing bothered her.

She could remember nothing.

Coming to her feet, she saw the body of a man in robes that had been burned alive. Shouts and sounds of fighting drew her attention away from the man. Slowly moving towards the sounds, she emerged from the alley and is stunned by what she saw.

Flames, flames everywhere she looked. The town was being attacked and she could not remember anything. Through the madness, screams caught her attention as she watched children being guided out of the burning school through a window by a badly hurt teacher. There were only a handful of them escaping from the heat of the fire.

Behind her there came a wicked laugh. A man in full black armor sat smiling on his horse. He seemed delighted in the scene before him. He let out a heavy laugh as the teacher helping the children became trapped in the building and perished to the flames.
The screams grew louder from the children at the loss of their teacher. “No…what have you done?” Rose said out loud and she turned to the man. “Who are you and why are you attacking these people.” She demanded.

The man stopped smiling and looked at Rose with a confused expression. “What “I” have done? I know we had our fill in drinks the night before, but not enough to ask that question.” He said letting out a laugh.

Rose, showing anger asked with more force. “Tell me who you are!”

Rolling his eyes, the man jumped down from his horse. “Fine, I’ll play. Oh my dear maiden, tis I, Sheknee and here is my merry band of misfits of The Defias whom are tasked with the destruction of Moonbrook.” He said in a sarcastic tone as he added a mocking bow.

“A cause, might I add, you were pretty excited to join. You said if I remember correctly, ‘they are in service to Stormwind and are as corrupt as all those in service of the weak child king. What happens to these people is none of my concern.’ I knew you were cold, but damn, you got me excited to come here. Are we done playing this game now?” he asked.

“I am not a murderer of children. I would never join a cause like this” Rose said as she turned to Sheknee to face him.

“Not a murderer of children?” He asked with surprise in his voice. “What are you talking about? It was you who…” Sheknee paused shaking his head. “I don’t have time for this, there is still work left to be done here. I do not know what happened in the last few minutes to make you grow a conscience all of a sudden, but you would choose now to defy my orders?”

Rose turned to look over her shoulder to see the children escaping over the hills. Turning back she looked with confidence to Sheknee. “I can’t defy orders to something I don’t belong to”

“Then what need do I have for a weak mage who cannot do a simple task like smack a few children around?” With a snap of his fingers four stealthed guards appeared around Rose. “If you are too weak to do this, I will do it myself.” Sheknee began to walk in the direction of the children followed by two of his guards. “Kill her; this hunt will only take a moment”

“No! I won’t let this happen!” Rose screamed as she felt the power of arcane forces build up inside of her. With a scream of pain and power, an explosion of arcane power erupted around her sending her would be assassins flying through the air.

Fully charged, sparks could be seen dancing around Rose. Her eyes fully focused on Sheknee.

Sheknee felt the wave of arcane that came from behind and only met it with a smile. Standing with his back to Rose, Sheknee turned his head to look over his shoulder.

“You would dare challenge me? Your power is strong and to be feared, but you are not even worth the scraps on my table that I would feed dogs with.” Sheknee said coldly. Snapping his fingers, he motioned the remaining two guards to attack.

Without a word or sound the guards leapt forward, dashing side to side of each other with daggers drawn and death in their eyes.

Rose knew she couldn’t let them slip into the shadows and had to act fast.

The ground around her became frozen as she summoned the elements of ice. Her hands became encrusted in ice as the spell began to take shape. With arms raised, she fired a massive ball of ice towards her targets. With luck, she caught the first of the guards as he tried to dodge it. The second fared better as he received the time needed and faded into nothing.

Not giving into panic, Rose continued her assault. Trying to keep track of her targets movement as she began another spell she stood her ground knowing the guard was nearby. As quickly as the guard disappeared he reappeared only a few feet in front of Rose. With a quick motion in his attack, his dagger was at Roses throat, but could go no farther. Unflinching, Rose had completed her spell with perfect timing.

From the cloud of smoke the guard emerged out and began eating grass. This is natural though for it is what sheep do. Rose chuckled for a moment, but regained her focus on Sheknee who remained where he was when the guards came.

“So it would seem you are not so weak. Perhaps you could stop me.” Sheknee said. “If you defeat me, you will have saved the children, but what then? You are still a murderer, still a traitor to Stormwind. You have no place to go, nowhere that you are safe. Not from me or the kingdom you now attempt to protect.”

Rose couldn’t help but feel his words rang true. “I don’t know what is going on, but I know I cannot let you harm anyone.” Rose replied as she began to channel the fire from within.

Sheknee began to walk over to Rose.

Building inside her was the great power of flame. The same great power that leveled so many buildings before began to build within her again. An aura of flame surrounded Rose as she gained strength. The ground around her turned to ash as the next spell was being prepared. With eyes of fire, Rose screamed out as she released her most powerful attack. The massive fireball streaked through the air towards its target.

Sheknee made no attempts to dodge it. He continued walking forward, directly in the path of the fireball. Just as it was about to connect, Sheknee raised his left arm. “HAAAAAA!” He cried as he blocked the attack with his hand, deflecting it away. The ball of flame struck the ground at his side causing a haze of smoke. After the dust and debris settled, Skeknee still moved forward with a smirk across his face.

The moment stunned Rose and she began to panic. Channeling all the power she could muster, she unleashed a wave of spells. Ice would not slow him, fire would not hurt him and the arcane that dispatched her assassins only seemed to bounce off his armor. Then she remembered the last guard.

It was her only hope, the last spell that could work. Her hands turned silver as the spell began. Sheknee, still at a walk, saw the spell and made no attempt to hurry his attack.

Now only a few feet away, the spell was complete and Sheknee was engulfed in the same smoke as the unfortunate guard. With a sigh, Rose relaxed for a moment, a moment she would regret.

Out of the smoke emerged a huge gauntlet hand that grasped her throat. The spell had failed and Sheknee had reached her while she was defenseless. Lifting her off the ground with one hand she came face to face with him.

“Did you really think you could harm me with your pathetic spells? I was trained by the best mages and warriors in the defense of such attacks. You could do nothing to me.”

His hand began to squeeze harder as he continued. “To think, with the power you have, you could have done so much for us in the future.” With his hand he forced Rose to look to her right back at the school. “You do great work” he said in a cold tone. As he turned her back to face him, she spat in his eye. Filled with rage, Sheknee brought his other hand across her face. The blow knocked her hard against the burning wall of the school house, scorching her back. With a cry of pain she tumbled forward. There, she is surrounded once again by more guards.

Sheknee bent down to pick up a flower that lay at his feet. Taking it to his nose, he took a breath in to smell its sweetness. Turning back to Rose he said. “When a Rose loses all of its petals, it loses its beauty. That is when it becomes a fallen rose and needs to be cut from the rest. Your time with the Defias is long over and you will be cut away from us…Fallenrose”

As Sheknee walked away, Rose knew her life was over unless she did something to stop it. Summoning the last bit of power she had, she released a wave of ice which held the guards in place. Knowing she only had a few moments; she struggled to her feet and began a teleportation spell. Just as the guards broke free she vanished into nothing.

“Find her; she doesn’t have much power left she couldn’t have gotten far!” Sheknee growled.

Appearing near a pond not far from Moonbrook, Rose struggled to move. Trying to stand all she could do was fall again. She could hear the sounds of an animal sniffing her hair. After all she went through and all that she has done, perhaps this was a fitting end to be eating by wild animals.

“Meatbag, knock that off. Leave her be!” Rose heard the gruff voice of a Dwarf and he came near.

“It would seem you are in a spot of trouble miss. Don’t move we’ll get you out of here.” Turning to the wolf, the hunter spoke in a serious tone. “MB, I need you to take her far from here, run as fast as you can. I’ll stay and set a few traps for our friends here.” The wolf whined at the request and hesitated as the Dwarf helped Rose onto his mount. “Don’t argue with me, I’ll join you at Sentinel Hill, Now GO!” With Rose on his back the large Ram galloped away leaving his master behind followed closely by the large white wolf.

As they left the view of Moonbrook, Rose could see Sheknee advancing over a nearby hill only to stop at the sight of the Dwarf. It almost looked like they were talking before the world faded as she passed out.

(( Part 2 ))
Archmage Sarken stood in his study waiting for any news from the Stockades. Waiting only moments, a messenger appeared in the doorway. Out of breath, the messenger handed Sarken a crumpled letter. Upon looking at the letter, he looked up smiling as he laid the letter on his desk. The messenger, still waiting to be released, caught a glance at the note and he read only three words….

“She has entered….”

The Warden of the Stockades paced back and forth mumbling to himself. “How could I let this happen?” As he paced, he glanced every few chances at the entrance to the Stockade. That entrance, now fortified and heavily guarded is all that stopped the rioting prisoners from escaping into the city.

In an attempt to save face, he asked for help to any who was willing. The few that have been willing to quell the riot came at a high price. Warriors, Rogues and others seeking adventure or needed money answered the call. Many would go in and most would not return. Those that did were so badly hurt they would in time die from their wounds.

After all of these failed attempts, the Warden began to wonder what the Captain would do to him once he asked for assistance at his own prison. Then he received a note from the Mage Quarter responding to the call for aid. The note stated that they will be sending help as soon as possible and to not be concerned about payment or who was coming.

When she arrived at the Stockade gates, she came alone. Her hair was red and short with two slight rows that curled up around her head. She had the face of innocents but eyes that seemed to be filled with sadness. She was dressed in the standard robes of a Mage and armed with only a staff. Stopping only to say that the Mage Quarter had sent her, she continued on towards the steps leading into the prison.

Two hours had passed since she arrived and the Wardens pace began to quicken as he waited impatiently. “How could they be so foolish to send a single mage? What do they think she can accomplish where so many have failed?”

His thoughts are abruptly interrupted by commotion coming from the entrance to the Stockades. Walking over to see what was going on the Warden looked down the stairs and with straining eyes tried to see anything.

Just then the room began to shake.

An explosion erupted from within the Stockades and screams could be heard deep in the prison. Looking harder into the gate, the only thing they could see was darkness. Though they could not see anything, they only needed to listen to the cries of pain that came out of the blackness.

The explosions that shook the very foundation began to come closer to the gates. The disturbance reached as far as the Mage Tower where Archmage Sarken stayed in his study. The power that came from the Stockades startled him. Concentrating his arcane powers, he put himself into a dream state and traveled to the source. Using his vision he waited by the gate along with the guards and the nervous Warden. Not noticing his presence the guards remained focused on the gate.

Out of the darkness, there came two prisoners. In a panic they began screaming for the guards to protect them as they ran up the stairs. The first of the two prisoners burst into flames and stopped in his tracks while the second, seeing his companion fall, ran harder towards the guards. He would only make two more steps before being engulfed in smoke. When the smoke cleared, a sheep walked passed the guards towards the hay where the horses were kept. Finding an open spot, the sheep lay down and fell asleep.

Turning back to the gate the guards stood ready for anything that came out. Out of the darkness, the lone mage appeared where she stood at the bottom of the stairs. Smoke swirled around her as she looked up at the nervous guards. She walked up the stairs and passed the guards towards the Warden. Stopping, she turned to him and said with little emotion. “Your troubles are now over. The prison is yours again.”

Satisfied with what he has seen the Archmage returned to his study. Sitting in his chair, he turned to his window and looked out. Sensing the presence of someone behind him, Sarken continued to stare outside.

“She is ready for the task she has trained for these past two months. She will be stronger than before since the last time she faced Sheknee. Wouldn’t you agree, Vendo?” He said as he turned to face the stealthed figure in the corner.

Stepping out of the shadows, Vendo came forward and kneeled before Sarken. “Yes, but can she be trusted? Considering what we know about her, is it wise to let her go?”

Nodding at the question Sarken replied “This is why I have called for you. I wish to use your skills to monitor her activities as well as those around her. This Dwarf that brought her to us, Wulfgrin, I know very little about him though his name seems familiar to me, keep an eye on him as well. It would seem she remembers nothing before Moonbrook and I wish to take advantage of that.”

Turning back to the window he continued. “If she is able to defeat Sheknee, we will be one step closer to my true task. We Must continue to keep her in check. I cannot afford to have things fall apart now, not when we are so close to cleaning this mess up. Is this understood?”

“Yes my Lord.” Vendo responded as he disappeared into the shadows.

Within the Dwarven District, Wulfgrin stared into the Archmage’s room with Eagle eyes, using the Hunters vision; he heard the conversation between the mage and rogue. Taking a sip of his ale, he looked over to his companion Meatbag. “Well my old friend, it would seem our work has become a little more complicated. Sarken seems to have his own plans for our new friend. For now we will play along, though we will need help in the future.”

“Come, the best place to start will be in Booty Bay.”

Grabbing his rifle and ale, they headed out of the door towards his destination.

((Part 3))

Standing in a field of corn, Rose fought her way to get clear. After exiting what seemed like endless rows of corn, she came upon a small village. As she came closer to the village, she began to smell the smell of burning wood. She quickened her pace into a run towards the town. When she arrived she found that the whole town had been burned to the ground.

A gust of wind blew passed her, revealing smoke from a building still burning. Worried, she ran to it. Once she passed the already burned buildings she turned the corner and found what was still burning. It was the towns School house. It was then Rose realised where she was, she was in Moonbrook.

Standing in the street she looked into the school. At first she saw nothing, but then she saw movement on the first floor as someone ran passed the window. She called out to them, but through the flames she could hear nothing. She cried out louder and again no one answered, not even a scream or a cry of pain. Rose couldn’t wait any longer, she had to help somehow.

Just as she was beginning to channel an ice spell, a massive ball of fire streaked pasted her destroying a portion of the building. The blast blew Rose back and knocked her to the ground. As she sat there, she felt the presence of someone next to her. Turning to her right she looked up and her eyes went wide. Standing next to her with complete confidence and calm was, Rose.

The Rose standing next to her turned and looked down to her with a wicked smile. Before she could say anything, the other Rose began to walk towards the burning school house. Without hesitation, the other Rose entered into the fire and walked to the second floor. Rose stood up and looked to see anything in the second floor.

There, standing in the center window was Sheknee and next to him was the other Rose. They stood together and looking down to Rose, smiled with evil intentions. A second explosion hit the school house, pushing Rose back again. Able to stand on her feet this time she looked again into the second floor. There were more people there now, only different.

Sheknee and the other Rose stood where they were, but those that stood beside them were smaller. Rose took a step closer and looked harder and what she saw was horrifying. Those that stood beside them were children. They showed no emotion at all, their eyes were shut and mouths open as if they were screaming, but no sounds came out. Then the children stepped closer to the windows and without making any noise, they all pointed as one at Rose.

Rose began to back away in fear, not knowing what it all meant. Turning, she again faced the school. She turned back again only to see the same school. Every turn she took, she was faced to the school. Falling to her knees she began to cry. All around her now where the children, their mouths open and pointing while Sheknee and the other Rose stood by with mocking smiles.

The world began to spin, buildings and faces blended together spinning ever faster until everything turned black. Then after only a few moments, everything went black. She is startled by the sudden wetness that went across her cheek. Waking from her sleep, she found her assailant at the side of her resting place. It stared and wagged its tail in a playful motion, but whined in concern over the startled Rose.

It had been two weeks since Wulfgrin left for Booty Bay to seek help. Before leaving, he left one of his wolves to watch over Rose. The wolf he left was the youngest of the pack and the most light hearted. His fur glowed bright red at the top and faded into a lighter color as if the sun was rising on his back which earned him the name Dawnshadow.

The dreams were getting stronger and worse with each passing day. Dreams of not only Moonbrook, but of other things began to haunt her. Not knowing what any of them meant, they seem to come more frequent the closer she got to Sheknee. It had taken about a week to gather the information needed to track him and now it was only a matter of time till they faced each other once again.

Rose had spent the night in the cold darkness of Duskwood, lying in wait for any sign of Sheknee to appear. The information received had told her of a small Defias hideout in a farm that once belonged to a farmer named Sven. It was there that he was to appear.

From the camp there came more commotion than normal. Dawnshadow let out a low growl which told Rose her wait was over. Slowly crawling up the hill to get a look, she looked down to the farm. A shiver went down her spine as she saw him. After two months of preparing and waiting, now was the time she had waited for, now was……

“You’ve been waiting so long for me, why don’t you come out and let me see your face.”

Startled by the sudden response to her presence, Rose didn’t know what to do.

“There is no point in hiding; I know you’re here Rose. Come out and face me if you dare or are you still the weak little mage I humiliated?” Sheknee called out in a laugh.

There was no point in hiding any longer, slowly Rose stood from where she was. Dawnshadow followed close behind. The moment she stood she began to take count of all that was before her. Ten, no fifteen foes stood between her and her target. She began to channel her magic, but held it low until the right moment.

“What is this you have with you? A wolf? Have you become so pathetic and weak that you need dogs to protect you?” He said with a laugh as he shook his head.

“I have been waiting for so long to see you again. Oh the things I have learned about you, I find it fascinating. We will have our chance to talk, but first, I want to see what they have taught you these few months and plus my men have been thirsting for a fight.” Sheknee said with a motion to his men.

Dawnshadow stood in front of Rose in a defensive stance, growling louder. “Stay with me” Rose said as she began to move forward. The Defias attackers began to run towards their prey. Rose’s walk turned into a run as she ran to meet them head on, Dawnshadow following close by.

A Defias mage that ran with the group sensed something was wrong and slowed his pace to let the others run ahead. The charging fighters let out a battle cry as the came closer and closer to Rose. With only a few feet separating them, it looked like it would be a swift kill for the Defias.

Just as they were about to collide, Rose cast the spell she held until now. Taking only a second to cast, she vanished before her attacker’s eyes. Not before releasing a second spell which encrusted them in ice, holding them in place. Not knowing what had happened, the Defias followers looked around and tried to get free. One noticed that Rose had somehow gotten behind them in a blink of an eye.

Once they realised where she was, it was already too late. The stunned fighters had given Rose enough time to complete a chain of spells she had prepared before the fight began. A cloud appeared over the trapped Defias and shards of ice began to pelt them. Faster and faster the shards rained on them, knocking out or killing most in a matter of seconds. After a minute the cloud disappeared and there was a moment of silence.

As Rose turned to face Sheknee, she was greeted by a fireball that hit her directly. The lone Defias mage that stayed behind had prepared an attack of his own as she dealt with the others. Satisfied with his successful attack the mage relaxed in confidence. Before he could turn, the smoke had cleared and Rose still stood, unharmed by the blast. The blast had been absorbed by a fire shield.

“Th-There wasn’t enough time, there’s no way you could have protected yourself so quickly.” The mage said in shock

Rose only smiled at him and motioned him to try again. The mage began to channel his power to create another fireball. Before the spell could be cast, Rose lifted her hand and countered it. The stunned mage began to run away and with a snap of her fingers he was turned into a sheep.

Sheknee let out a delighted laugh. “My, you have become stronger since the last time. You seem to have a thing for that sheep spell, it’s rather amusing.”

As he laughed, Sheknee stood and let out a whistle. “I have a few new friends I’d like you to meet. I think you will find them a bit more challenging.”

The woods behind Sheknee began to sound as though there were being torn apart. The ground thundered as four massive Ogres appeared beside Sheknee. Along with the Ogres there appeared ten more Defias fighters hidden in the woods.

One of the Ogres led out from the rest and charged towards Rose. Summoning the elements of ice she launched a bolt of ice in an attempt to slow his charge. The bolt hit its target and did nothing to slow his pace. As he charged, the Ogre raised his arm and swung with his massive club. Rose had little time to dodge out of the reach of the blow and was struck in the side. The hit knocked her into a daze which for a moment made her lose her focus on the Ogre.

Seeing his chance the Ogre pressed his attack and charged again. Raising his club once more, the Ogre brought the huge weapon down again. Before it could connect, Dawnshadow lunged at the arm causing the strike to miss. Crying in pain from the bite, the Ogre flung Dawnshadow towards a tree, knocking him out.

Regaining his concentration, the Ogre switched hands and began to raise his uninjured arm, only to stop midswing. His eyes were no longer on his target; they were focused on the lone Dwarf that sat on a boulder on the hill not far in front of him.

“Oh, hi there, don’t be minding me; I’m just watching the fight. To be honest though, so many against just one seems a tad unbalanced. Let’s spice things up a bit shall we?”Wulfgrin said as he puffed on his pipe.

From behind the boulder where Wulfgrin sat, two warriors stepped forward. One taping his sword on his shield, the other warrior drew a claymore as she made ready to charge. From the other side of the boulder the came a pair of deep growls. Climbing up beside Wulfgrin sat two wolves, one white as snow and the other dark as night itself.

“I’d like you to meet Lorix, a former soldier of Stormwind and Denava a fine warrior of her craft. The two wolves behind me are my old friends Meatbag and Darkpaw. That young one you sent to that tree is a member of their pack and I’m pretty sure they will want a piece of your Ogre friend” Wulfgrin said with a chuckle.

Both wolves gave cold stares at the Ogre standing over Rose, each growling with deep hate and slowly moving forward.

Then there came a high pitched laugh from within the woods. Out of the brush there came a small imp. Coming towards the Ogre at a skip, the little imp stopped at the Ogres feet and looked up. Sticking his tongue out, he kicked the Ogre in the leg. The Ogre clearly unimpressed swung at the imp causing him to run away. As soon as he reached the tree line he shouted upwards.

“Uh Boss, I’m gonna need help with this one.”

Looking up, the Ogre could see a human female standing high on a branch, leaning on the trunk of the tree. The Ogre smiled and in a quick motion brought his club down to strike Rose. Before it could land, the Warlock was in the path of the strike and gently put her hand on his arm.

“You are weak, your arms feel weak and that great strength given to you at birth is no more. You arms are like water and you can lift nothing as I cast this curse on you.” She said looking down.

The Ogre suddenly dropped his weapon and struggled to move his limp arms and his eyes began to show of panic.

Looking up into the Ogres eyes she continued. “One of simple mind, look into my eyes and see your fate of a thousand deaths and you will know fear for all that it is in life.”

The Ogres eyes grew wide in terror as he let out a cry and ran back into the forest where he came.

Kneeling down beside Rose, the Warlock helped her up and tossed her some bandages. “Here, you can do this yourself, I’m not in the business of healing, and they don’t pay enough.”

“And this here is Frozentears, a tracker of demons by trade as well as a mercenary for hire.” Wulfgrin said.

Sheknee stood emotionless, showing little concern.

“Is this all? You think by helping Rose you will change anything?”

“Not in the slightest, I said we were here to add balance to this fight. Rose has you all to herself without interference.”

Sheknee laughed. “As you wish.”

As the two sides readied themselves for the fight to come, Rose readied herself for the fight she had trained for so long.

In the shadows high above the battleground, Vendo stood in silence observing the battle about to unfold. Focused on the mission alone and not concerned with the other players involved, he waits to see the outcome so he can report to the Archmage.

((Part 4))

“There are moments in time where an event or action can change the speed of time. In many battles this can occur, some fights can take as long as ten seconds or less. However in that moment in time the two combatants have no focus on time and the fight can seem to last forever. Between the two each move is calculated, thought out and executed. To those outside of the fight, all they see is the end result.

It is in this moment that you have your advantage to strike faster than that of a normal person.

Sheknee defeated you on the principle that he can stop direct attacks as long as he can see them. I will teach you how to strike in multiple places at once, thus not giving him time to focus his defenses. The one way to do this is to utilize the ability to Blink between places.”

Rose thought of the Archmage’s words as she dodged repeated attacks from Sheknees swift motions. The battle had raged for no more than a few minutes and as the Old Mage had said, it had seemed like an eternity. Firing a few shots of arcane magic as she moved to avoid his sword, Rose could see that her spells were having little effect on Sheknee.

The others were fairing better in their fight with Sheknees Defias fighters. Each fighting their own battle with such intensity that it impressed Rose.

While watching the others fight so hard, Rose had forgotten her own battle for a moment and turned in time to dodge another attack that almost connected.

Cursing in frustration Sheknee yelled to Rose “Blast you! Is this all you can do? Fight me dammit or is this the best a puppet of Stormwind can muster?”

Rose stopped moving for a moment to look back to Sheknee “Fine, you shall have what you want” she said as flames began to circle around her.

“At last! Show me what your masters have taught you. Show me the strength that lies within you” Sheknee taunted.

Rose struggled to maintain the massive size of the ball of fire. After a few moments she released it towards her target. As before, Sheknee made no attempts to move and stood in place.

Closer and closer it came and Sheknee stood waiting, smiling. At the last moment, he raised his hand and caught the ball, only this time it began to push him back. Focusing all of his strength, Sheknee began to push back. Sheknee spent so much of his attention towards the fireball in his hands; he failed to notice that Rose was no longer in front of him. It was then he felt the heat of a second fireball coming from behind.

Releasing one hand from the fireball in the front, he caught the second fireball just in time. Crying in pain as the pressure from both fireballs began to weigh heavy in his arms. Just as the two fireballs were about to overcome him, Sheknee gave a desperate final push that stretched his arms. Using the two fireballs, Sheknee catapulted himself into the air leaving the two massive balls of fire to collide into each other. The explosion knocked everyone to the ground, causing all fighting to cease for an instant.

Landing on his feet and falling to one knee, Sheknee began to breath heavy as he took in this moment to rest. Searching through the smoke, he looked around to see where Rose was.

“Well done, they have defiantly trained you better than I had thought. You had better come up with a new strategy, for you will not catch me like that again.” Sheknee said as he stood again.

Emerging from the smoke Rose appeared at a distance in front of Sheknee.

“Ah, so there you are in all of your glory. It felt good did it not? To have me so close to death.” Sheknee said mockingly

“I can see it in your eyes, the bloodlust you once had. There is still a little bit of the old you still in there.” Sheknee smirked

“Tell me, Puppet, how are the dreams?” Sheknee said in a low laugh

Rose stood shocked, she stared at Sheknee with a puzzled look.

“Yes, I know of the dreams. Dreams of things long past. Dreams that make no sense to one who has forgotten their past. They are not dreams, they are memories. Memories of what you were before.”

Rose finally spoke, wanting to know more “What do you mean, what I was before?”

Sheknee chuckled as he came to his feet “It is a common side effect for when a Priest uses a powerful Mind Control spell on a subject. The subject loses all that they were and does the bidding of the controller becoming his or her puppet.”

“That’s not possible, I remember everything, everything I’ve done.” Rose said

“Do you really?” Sheknee said with a smirk.

“Do you remember anything before Moonbrook, before the school? It was you who helped set fire to those buildings and it was you who took pleasure in destroying them all. Then suddenly you stopped at the school and began to care. You destroyed many of those buildings without a care of who or what was in them. You think I’m the bad guy? There were times where your actions scared even me.” Sheknee said

Rose could not believe what she was hearing, could it be possible? Could the dream of the other Rose be actually be her?

Sheknee began to walk closer as he continued. “Do you remember how shocked I was when you said you weren’t a murderer of children? You knew full well there were kids in that school even after the second blast. They took you in that moment to stop you from harming them. They protected the children from You.” Sheknee laughed.

Shaking her head in disbelief, Rose didn’t know what to think. “Who are they? The ones you seem to know that did this to me?”

Sheknee stopped in his place. “Now now, you should know better than that. I can’t go and give away all I know just like that now can I? If you surrender and pledge loyalty to me and I will tell you all you want to know. Otherwise, you will have to defeat me to get it and I don’t see that happening

Looking up to Sheknee she said in a deep tone “Lies, I would NEVER do the things you say. I would rather die before doing such things. I will defeat you and drag the truth out of you screaming if I have to.”

Taking a mocking bow, Sheknee laughed “Believe what you will, puppet, the next time my hands are around your throat I will not waste time on words.” With that Sheknee broke out into a sprint towards Rose.

“I won’t give you the chance to harm me or anyone again. Your terror ends here.” Rose said as she ran to meet him head on.

Once in range, Sheknee swung with his sword at Rose only to hit air. Suddenly she appeared to his right and he swung again, hitting nothing. Then she appeared to his left, again he swung at nothing.

Each time she appeared on his right or left she spoke two words.

At his left…”You Can’t…”

Swinging to his right…”You Can’t…”

She moved so fast Rose seemed to be on all sides at once. Swinging his sword in every direction, Sheknee began to tire, the words slowly driving him mad.

Bringing his sword down with all the force he could he struck out in front of him. Then in a soft whisper from behind he heard “You Can’t Touch Me…”

Before he could get his guard up it was too late, the dagger slipped quietly into his back and he knew it was over.

Staggering forward in disbelief, he dropped his sword and fell to his knees. The ground began to turn crimson as the blood from his wound poured out on the ground. Looking towards the sky, Sheknee seemed to stare at nothing even as Rose came into his view.

“Where magic fails, sometimes it is what you don’t expect that will work.”

Sheknee twisted his blank stare into a smile and looked at Rose. “Kera will be proud of you.” Sheknee laughed weakly.

“Who is Kera?” Rose asked

“Someone of your own blood. Ask the Dwarf, say her name and look into his eyes, he knows of whom I speak. She is your s s sis……” Sheknee couldn’t finish the sentence and closed his eyes, but what was said was all that was needed.

“I…I have a sister?” Rose asked to herself. Rose sat down beside her fallen foe, exhausted from all that took place.

The others came over after their battle had finished.

Wulfgrin came over beside Rose and saw the body of Sheknee and said to Rose “It is done then, there is but one task left to do.”

Looking up to Wulfgrin with tears she said “I have a sister. Her name is Kera. What does that mean?”

Wulfgrins eyes showed a spark of interest at the name, but looked away as he spoke.
“I-I don’t know, but I believe I know one who might. We will go to him and he will tell us what he knows by choice or by force.” Wulfgrin said helping Rose to her feet.

Staring into the trees high above, Wulfgrin knew someone was there.

Vendo, realizing he had been seen, quietly left and headed towards Sarkens tower to turn in his report on the battle.

As the others gathered in preparation to leave, Wulfgrin walked over to Sheknee unseen by the others. As he kneeled down he is startled to see Sheknee still breathing.

Opening his eyes slightly, he smiled at the Dwarf.

“Quite the project you have there, though this is not what you promised in Moonbrook. You didn’t let me have her.” He said weakly.

Wulfgrin leaned closer. “She was never yours to have and you were good practice for loose ends.” Sheknees eyes widened as a dagger went into his neck. Starring at Wulfgrin as the life faded from him, he smiled.

Wiping the blood from his dagger, Wulfgrin moved on to join the others.

(( Also, can I not post in my own post? Only option I get is to reply, but it won’t let me do that unless someone else posts first. I hope that isn’t the case because this will be very annoying otherwise.))

2 Likes

((It is the case and it’s irritating as all get out. However, I love this story and want you to continue posting. I was happy to read and comment.))

(( Dang. In that case I may only post 2 or 3 at a time then. Lumping them all together like this just feels like a wall of text. But then I feel like I’ll have to many posts on the same topic and that in itself may get annoying lol.))

((Part 5 (trying something))

Vendo hurried faster and faster down the broken road that lead to the Archmage’s hidden tower. With the events unfolding in Duskwood, time was of the utmost importance. Kera was now apart of the picture and he had to warn him. Coming upon a clearing, the tower came into view. Once through the door, he made his way up the tower towards the top.
There the Archmage waited in his study as usual. Sensing Vendo, Sarken stood waiting.

Trying to catch his breath, Vendo kneeled before Sarken, who motioned him to stand.

“You have traveled a long way in a hurry. I assume you have a message to travel at such a pace.” Sarken said

Rising to his feet, Vendo nodded and spoke.

“The battle is over; Sheknee has been slain by Rose.”

With a smile, Sarken nodded. “Good, with him out of the way we can proceed to…”

Vendo interrupted. “There’s more. Before dying he told Rose about the existence of her sister Kera.”

The previous smile on Sarkens face quickly evaporated. With a worried look turned to gaze out of the towers window.

“It’s too soon; I am not ready for her to face her sister. Confronting her now might bring her memories back and we’ll lose our advantage. Was anyone else nearby to hear this?”

Taking a second to answer Vendo said. “Only the Dwarf Wulfgrin was and based on the information I have on him, there may be another matter to be concerned with.”

Sighing, Sarken looked over to Vendo. “What did you find?”

“Wulfgrin is the last survivor in an explorer clan under the name Shadow Wolves…”

Sarken looked puzzled; he had heard that name before. “Shadow Wolves? What do you know?”

“The Shadow Wolves were a small explorer group that worked exclusively with wolves in their party. They were not a very well-known group by reputation, but what is known is what caused their near complete destruction save for one Dwarf, Wulfgrin Longhowl.” Vendo said.

“About six years ago, the Shadow Wolves were exploring around the Dark portal for unknown reason. Instead they encountered an event that would cause their demise.”

Sarken thought hard and then looked up at Vendo. “Six years?” Sarken looked down again. “No, can’t be…”

Vendo continued. “Kera was there attempting to enter the Dark Portal but was interrupted by another. A battle followed which drew the attention of the Dwarves. The reports after are mixed, but after their arrival, the dwarves were destroyed and Kera and her opponent had fled the scene leaving a broken Wulfgrin for dead.”

“No, that’s not at all what happened that day. I, was Kera’s opponent.” Sarken said in a sigh.

Looking over to Vendo, Sarken motioned to him “Go on.”

Nodding, he continued “He managed to recruit others to help him in Duskwood. Lorix is nothing more than a deserter from his unit in Warsong Gulch who is in search for the family that took him in. They were believed to be taken by the Defias two years ago. With Wulfgrin, he hopes to mount a rescue to find them in the Deadmines. Denava is his sister who learned the sword from her father while Lorix was away. Frozentears, otherwise known as Fairuza Tearius is a medium level Warlock and part of a demon hunter squad hunting for the demon that killed her parents. Works also in part as a mercenary, she is here only for the money.”

“What game is this Dwarf playing?” Sarken pondered. “We could use this. If this Dwarf is who I believe he is, then my work is in danger.” He said rushing to his desk. Opening a drawer, he pulled a thick book out and hurried back to Vendo. In a forceful motion, he handed the book to Vendo.

“You’ve got to get this out of here now! With Sheknee gone and Kera exposed, they all will be coming here! It is important this never is seen by anyone. I will send someone in time whe…”

Before he could finish, there came a rumble in room. From behind Sarken a portal opened and two blood elves emerged from the arcane doorway. Then a third figure stepped through the portal. Sensing the right moment, Vendo slipped into the shadows.

She stood in front of the portal, her long black hair blowing in the wind created by the force of the portal. Looking around the room, she drew her attention to Sarken who stood frozen by the shear power that radiated from her.

“You know, you should really be more careful who you give these things to. Your assistants had pocketfuls of them.” She said tossing the still smoking teleportation rune on the floor.

Looking at Sarken with a smirk she spoke. “You will no longer need to worry about what is important anymore. So, if you would please. Tell me where Rose is.”

Sarken, still frozen in fear, saw that her left hand began to glow ice blue and was growing in strength at a rapid pace.

“Kera, I don’t know anything about your sister or wher…”

Interrupting, Kera held her left hand up. “That’s not the answer I was looking for, but it is what I was hoping to hear from you.” Kera smiled as she launched an Ice Lance through Sarkens shoulder pinning him to the wall.

“Now, I’m going to ask politely only once more and please lie to me all you want, I do have all day for this.” Kera said as she powered a second Ice Lance. She paused in her casting and Sarken watched as her eyes shifted to her left. Smiling, she looked back to Sarken.

“It would seem I will not have to look far. Which does not bode well for you I’m afraid. Pity, I had hoped to chat longer with you.” Kera said.

A child, no more than a toddler, could be heard crying the dark. The image of a women standing over the bed looking down at the small child came into view. A few moments later there is silence and then a shriek.

“Rose, wait; you don’t understand, please help me…” the woman’s voice is heard saying.

Then there is an extreme heat that is felt all around. Then a scream…

“Rose! Stop, please!”

Rose opened her eyes at that moment.

Dreams, nightmares, memories; they were one and the same, but still made no sense. Sheknee spoke of the dreams of the past as though he knew more than he said and now the revelation of a sister, one whom Rose could not remember.

As they rode side by side, Rose noticed Wulgrins silence during the trip to Sarkens tower. Something about the past fight troubled him. The moment Kera’s name was said she saw his mood change, just as Sheknee said. Rose couldn’t help but feel as though the Hunter knew something, but wouldn’t speak.

He said nothing to the others as they continued on. Getting closer to Sarkens tower, answers too many questions for Rose were close at hand.

All of the things Sheknee spoke of during the fight worried Rose. The possibility of being Mind Controlled to stop her from killing those children in that school haunted her feelings.

She couldn’t believe that in her heart she would do something so horrible. But then she recalled that Sheknee said she showed the same bloodlust in her eyes as she had back then. Rose couldn’t help the fact that what he said was true. With each battle, she felt the need to unleash a power that had been held back.

A power that felt unnatural and somewhat refreshing. The thrill of releasing such power at will was becoming addictive, she wanted more. But after each fight that feeling would fade and a feeling of regret would take over.

Rose hated that feeling, the feeling of a thirst for power that was beyond her reach. She didn’t know what to expect when they reached the tower. Sarken was the one who trained her for those two months, he must have answers. Wulfgrin seems to know that he will.

As the tower came into view, Rose felt something, something powerful. Looking over to Wulfgrin and then the others, she noticed that Frozentears had the same look. Rose could tell she felt it as well.

The feeling was very familiar to Rose. It felt close, not in the same meaning as it would in terms of distance. No, it struck her heart.

Once they reached the base of the tower, Rose vanished from her mount and appeared in the doorway.

Wulfgrin, startled yelled out. “Rose! Wait!”

…”Rose, Wait!”…

These words rang in her ears as if church bells had struck next to her. Brushing the feeling aside, Rose continued on. Whatever was at the top of the tower had to be a connection to her.

Stopping at the door, Rose hesitated. Putting her hand on the door, she slowly pushed it open. The door seemed to take forever as the light in the room illuminated where Rose stood. The room had been destroyed. Furniture, papers and books lay broken and torn, scattered all over. There was a sense of calm in the room. In the face of such destruction, calm made Rose uneasy.

Then she saw her. Sitting on Archmage Sarkens desk was a woman; smiling with a slight smirk staring at Rose.

“It’s been awhile Rose, come here and give your big sister a hug.” She said with arms outstretched.

Trembling a little, Rose uttered. “…Kera?”

Confused at the question to whom she was, Kera walked closer to Rose. Now standing face to face, Kera looked over Rose as if inspecting her. Then she looked into her eyes and the stare was deep.

After a few moments, Kera stepped back and quietly asked. “You don’t know me, do you?”

Looking down ashamed, Rose replied. “No.”

Angrily, Kera walked back to the desk and shouted.

“What did you do?! Do you have any idea what problems this will cause?!”

Rose, unsure who she was yelling at, instinctively looked up. Taking a step back in surprise, she saw Sarken, pinned by multiple shards of ice on the ceiling.

Looking back at Kera, she found it hard to speak. Kera looking back replied to the obvious question.

“Believe me, he had this coming and now that I know what he did I can say this is something you don’t understand.”

“…Don’t understand.”

More words from her dream struck as hard as before. Just then Wulfgrin and the others finally arrived next to Rose.

Wulfgrins face twisted to a look of pure hatred as he entered the room. Reaching for his rifle, he called out.

“Kera! I’ve waited six long years for this moment. You will not leave here this day.”

Taking aim at Kera, Wulfgrin was oblivious to anyone else around him, especially to the now frantic Rose.

Rose, now at the moment to get answers for everything, was about to see it fade away. She tries to yell to Wulfgrin.

“Wait, Wulfg…”

Wulfgrin fires.

((Part 6))

Time seemed to move slow as the air filled with such tension. The shot fired from Wulfgrins rifle sounded like a thousand cannons being fired at once. The bullet moved through the air in slow motion as it came closer and closer to its target.

There was no time to move, no chance to talk things over. A bullet with death written upon it soared towards Roses sister Kera. Kera herself did not move, she stood in place emotionless and focused.

Rose closed her eyes as the bullet struck home hitting its intended target. The bullet found its mark, but there was no cry of pain, no sound at all in the room. Only an eerie stillness.

Rose opened her eyes and looked towards Kera, who still stood in place. There was a small object floating only inches from her face. The bullet had stopped in its tracks and was incased in ice. The bullet fell to the floor and Kera let out a sigh as she looked towards Wulfgrin.

“Before you continue this display, you must know something. Regardless if you believe me or not, I had nothing to do with the death of your people. The one responsible is the same one who used you and Rose to get to me.” Kera said.

Wulfgrin snorted in disgust. “Your lies will not fool me. I know what happened that day, I saw you there.” He said dropping his rifle.

Kera watched as Wulfgrin pulled a pair of claw weapons from his bag. “Yes, I was there, but I was not alone. You and your people had been defeated by another, one who came to stop me. He came to silence me and wanted no witnesses as he has done with many others. I would say ask him yourself, but being dead limits that.” She said pointing to Sarken.

Wulfgrin, not changing his focus from Kera said nothing as he put on the claws.

“Look at him; you’ve seen his face before. Had he known you were alive that day, he surely would have killed you. Instead you brought him Rose and he saw an opportunity and that is the only reason you are still alive. He had planned to use both of you to get to me.”

Shaking his head, Wulfgrin readied himself. “Your vile tongue, so full of lies. I will not believe an ounce of your words. Whether you defend yourself is your choice, I’m coming anyway.

Wulfgrin put his hands together and spoke words in his Dwarven language. Once he finished speaking the words he dropped to his hands and knees. Looking up slightly he spoke. “Now learn what it means to be a hunter among the Shadow Wolves. We do not fight as master and pet, we fight as one, as a pack after prey. Our wolves are our family, considered brothers by blood.”

The words he spoke came as a deep growl grew from deep inside. Kera watched as the two wolves with him began to grow in size with a dark glow of red surrounding them. Biting and scratching at the ground as if in pain from the change in size. She then noticed their eyes; through the pain they remained focused on her. Their eyes had turned blood red and were filled with such hate.

Turning back to Wulfgrin, Kera saw he was going through a change as well. His size remained the same, but he glowed as the wolves did, his eyes filled with the same hate. Coming to his feet again, Wulfgrin stared at Kera calmly.

Wulfgrin turned to Rose. “Rose, I’m sorry.” Shifting to his right, he looked at the wolves. “Meatbag, Darkpaw…go.” He said softly.

Both wolves exploded into action, surging forward at such a speed, the ground they stood on broke into splinters.

Kera, surprised at the speed of the wolves now coming towards her, cast a shield of ice around herself. Her arms extended out to her sides as she closed her eyes. A few words could be heard under her breath as she stood there.

Both wolves, focused on their prey, continued on moving side to side of each other. As they came closer, Kera opened her eyes and in the same motion, brought her hands together in a clap. From that clap a blast of arcane shot towards the pair and began to expand as Kera slowly separated her hands forcing the shot to grow larger.

Seeing no chance to avoid it, the wolves lowered their heads and in a show of power, broke through the blast. Slowed only a moment, they pressed on, closing in on Kera.

Kera lowered her arms and sighed. “I see now.” She said to herself.

Her hands began to encrust in ice as she channeled the element of frost. Before she could begin her attack, she caught a glimpse of movement high to her left. Moving with the speed of a cheetah, Wulfgrin had somehow climbed high towards the ceiling and leapt off the wall down to where Kera stood. Kera cast a short teleport to avoid the blow as Wulfgrin came crashing down onto the desk reducing it to splinters.

Reappearing feet away, Kera turned to fire at Wulfgrin as he emerged from the rubble. Failing to notice she had teleported in the path of the charging wolves, Kera is rammed with such a force, it sends her slamming into a bookcase. The ice shield protecting her shattered as it froze the two wolves in place.

Climbing out of the bookcase, Kera spat blood on the ground. “Fine, I tried to go easy and tell you the truth. You had your chance.” She said nodding to her companions.

Coming to one knee, Kera began to draw a symbol on the ground. Taking her left hand, she placed her palm on the symbol. The room shook slightly and the air became cold and damp. Then from the symbol on the ground an elemental of water took form.

Faruzia, Denava and Lorix made their own preparations. Lorix stood ready with sword and shield, focused on the elves that came with Kera. Faruzia reached into her bag and tossed a crystal shard on the ground. “Father, protect me…Rise Zengresh!” She yelled and from the shard a Voidwalker appeared.

Kera looked up at the warlock as she yelled. “Did she say ‘father’? I wonder…” She said to herself. Looking to her left, Kera motioned for the blood elf mage to attack.

As Faruzia and Lorix stepped forward to fight, they are intercepted by the young blood elf mage. Shaking her head as she stood before them, she spoke. “This is not your fight, leave…NOW!”

With her yell, the mages eyes burned with fire as a blast of fire came at them in a wave. Lorix braced himself with his shield as Denava stood behind him while Frozen stood in place, eyes looking at the fire coming to them. “F-father, help me.” She whispered.

The Voidwalker stood between her and the fire. Turning his back to the fire, he put his arms around Faruzia as the blast struck them. The blast forced both out of the entrance to Sarkens room.

As they gathered themselves, they could see through the door where the mage stood. In a playful smile, she waved to them as she fired another blast, destroying the entrance.

Through the commotion at the entrance, the elemental made its way to the immobilized wolves. The wolves seeing this began to frantically bite at the ice with their powerful jaws. Wulfgrin and Kera also continued to assault each other with all they had while Keras companions stood by the destroyed entrance.

All had forgotten Rose, who had been standing shaken by all that was taking place around her. Unsure what to do, she felt numb and out of focus to everything around her, until a blast of ice misplaced brushed past her head. The cold feeling woke her and the dream she though was not happening became all too real now.

She watched Wulfgrin and Kera continue fighting and deep inside Rose began to build in anger.

Kera using multiple teleports, moved quickly around the room firing blasts of ice at the slowing Hunter. Wulfgrins speed from the start began to slow as the spells used to increase his attacks were wearing off.

He dodged as much as he could until finally one of Keras blasts moved too fast for him and found its target. Wulfgrin fell to the ground and rolled to the center of the room. Rolling on his back, he looks up to see Kera standing over him with an ice lance formed and aimed at his head. Shifting his eyes left and right, Wulfgrin spotted his rifle within reach and in a quick motion, grabbed it as Keras lance missed.

Rolling on his back again, Wulfgrin aimed his rifle and pulled the hammer back to fire. As he pulled the trigger to fire, an object swiftly blocked his path and stood between him and Kera. Rose, with one hand in front of Kera and the second in the path of the rifle, stood before them. In one motion, she placed her left hand onto the muzzle of Wulfgrins rifle and froze it causing the gun to jam. Her right hand unleashed a cone of frost which blew Kera away from her.

Once the two had been separated, Rose turned her attention to Wulfgrin, who was still lying on his back. Rose waved both hands in a slicing motion on both sides causing a wall of fire to appear on each side, separating Rose and Wulfgrin from everyone else.

Looking up to Rose, Wulfgrin looked over Rose whose very presence was different from when they had first met. The Rose before him was not the same and he feared for his life. As their eyes met, Wulfgrin started to see an object begin to form above Rose. She leaned closer to him and spoke.

“Until now, I have followed you and trusted you because you had saved me. I trusted you when you said you would find answers I sought. Now, when all I want is at hand, you would without question attack the very person that would answer everything. You would attack my Sister! I will not sit by and let you do this. I will kill you before you betray me and take away my family!”

As she stood again, Wulfgrin watched as the object above her head took the shape of a dragon. The eyes of the dragon shined brightly as it opened its mouth. Following in dragons motions, Rose also opened her mouth and took a deep breath. A glow from within her throat began to rise as she lend forward again towards Wulfgrin. Before the fire could escape her mouth, a wall of ice appeared in front of her absorbing the blast. Rose then felt a sharp object pressing on her neck as well as a hand on her shoulder.

“That’s quite enough Rose. I think he gets the point and there is no need to take this any farther.” Kera said quietly.

The dragon above Roses head began to disappear as well as the walls of fire in the room. Once the fire had died out, Rose fell to the floor unconscious. Lowering her hand, Kera breathed easy and let the ice lance fall to the floor as she turned to Wulfgrin.

“My, a Dragons Breath. A very nasty spell if she were to hit you with it, I’ll need to remember that next time. I think you and I need to talk before she wakes up again. I will tell you everything you want to know and what you need to know as you and those with you are now involved.” Kera said looking to Rose again.

“We have much to catch up on and I don’t think she will be able to handle some of what I will tell her, but there is no time now…” Kera said pausing.

“…Celesa is alive.”

(( Ok, I’ll just switch characters then between chapters heh))

2 Likes

((Part 7))

She stared into her hands, studying them thoroughly. They were small, delicate and fragile. They were hers and no one else’s and with them she could create such power that it excited her.

“Have you decided what you want to do?” A voice said coming into her room. The voice belonged to her father. Smiling, she looks up to him and her expression seemed to glow.

“Did you see? Did you see what I can do? It was so pretty, blue and red and even sparkle. I want to do it again, be just like Rose and Kera!” She said barely able to contain herself.

Marico smiled “And you will one day, but you must choose what you want to train as your sisters have. Rose has a talent for fire and Kera’s strength lies in frost.”

“But I want to do all of them; I can already do this…” She said holding up her hands. For a moment nothing happened and Marico began to say something, but then noticed her how hard she was concentrating and then he saw it. It was small, but slowly growing in size, a small ball of arcane formed in her hands almost perfectly.

“T-that’s really wonderful! When did you…” He started to say, but to his amazement, he saw a flame form within the ball. His eyes grew wider as a ball of ice formed within and circled the flame. He then looked at her and she was perfectly calm.

“This is not possible, how are you doing this?” He asked with his voice cracking.

Dropping her hands, she looked up at Marico and smiled proudly. “I thought it would be hard, but I did what Rose and Kera did. I watched and watched and did the things they did while they trained. They would close their eyes real tight and a bright light would flash in their hands. I did that too, but all I got was the pretty sparkle light. Rose got red and Kera got blue and I thought if I tried real hard I could get all three!”

Marico stood with frightened look on his face. Looking into his daughters eyes he could tell it was upsetting her. Giving an unsettled smile to comfort her, he placed his hands on her cheeks and gave her a light kiss on the forehead.

“You wonderful child, you have made me so very proud. That indeed was very pretty, now I must leave and tell your mother what you can do! I am so proud of you.” He said as he slowly closed the door to her room.

“My dear daughter, you are meant for great things. You will grow to be very powerful, grow up and be strong…

…Celesa.”

“…Lady Celesa?”

Celesa looked up from her hands. The night air hid them in darkness, hiding the burns and scars that now covered them. A reminder of her past, a night that would never leave her.

She hadn’t changed since the night of the fire, her body never ageing though she grew mentally. A side effect of the cursed experiment that tossed her into this world. The world that would see her physically as a child, the image left from the night she died in the fire. Though even in death, she had the power to cheat it as the experiment had given her a second chance. A chance to avenge herself and the other fallen children.

She looked to her companion Protius Lyrus, an old priest that had pulled her from that very fire and had been with her ever since.

Protius looked to her and smiled “We have arrived to the location of the battle, though it seems we are too late and she has left. The Defias apparently stood no chance against her.”

Celesa looked over the battlefield carefully, sniffing the air once and a while. “No, she did not do this alone, she had others with her.” She paused a moment sniffing again. “A Dwarf, smelly thing with a smell of dogs, no, wolves with him. A smell of metal from a pair of warriors and a familiar smell, one I cannot place, but has fel magic within. They fought these men, Rose fought alone against someone else.”

She scanned the area until her eyes fell upon the body of Sheknee. She smiled at the sight and skipped over playfully to it. Standing before the body, she knelt down and placed a hand on his head. Closing her eyes, she whispered words Protius could not understand.

Opening her eyes again, she smiled and stood pointing at the body.

“Yes, he will do nicely! I want this one brought back!” She said turning to Protius.

Protius frowned and looked at the body. “If this man was beaten by her, what help could he provide if he cannot stand to Rose?”

Celesa paused a moment then looked up at the old priest. “You are bold to question my request, but I suppose it is fair.” She said looking back at the body.

“He knows her, more importantly, he knows about her and what we have gone through. He may not have the strength to face her, but he does have the ability to be a haunting reminder of her past. A devil in her ear that cannot be silenced or destroyed. If we give him that power, he could become a weapon not of power, but of the mind. Right now her mind is a confused mess and in her current state very weak and with him we can keep her off balance. Yes, I want him, I want him now.”

Nodding with a slight bow, Protius walked slowly over to the body of Sheknee. Placing his hands on his head and back he spoke the words of the Light. A golden glow covered the body until it was too bright to see. After a few moments, Protius stopped speaking and slowly stood before the body. The light faded away and the darkness of Duskwood quickly took over again. Minutes pass with no movement from the body and the frustrated sighs from Celesa began to get louder.

Not wanting to provoke his master, Protius gave the body a swift kick in the ribs. “Get up blast you! We haven’t got all night!”

After the kick there came a cough, then a desperate gasp for air followed by a grown of pain from the kick to the ribs. Sitting up slowly, Sheknee looked around in amazement, his eyes finally seeing the old form of Protius. Slowly standing, Sheknee grabbed his sword to help him stand. Looking at the old priest, he smiled slightly.

“I suppose I have you to thank? Did Vancleef send you or do I owe you as debt or something you couldn’t get off my corpse?”

Protius smiled and moved to stand next to Celesa. “Service is indeed what we seek. Your debt will be to serve your new master.”

Sheknee studied the priest carefully, taking in every feature. “You? Don’t make me laugh. You look like you are barely able to stand on your own. Besides I serve no one unless the price is right.”

Protius put his hands up in a dismissive manner. “You misunderstand; I am not to be your master…” He said pausing to point to the child next to him. “…She is.”

Sheknees eyes looked down to the priests left to see the child and couldn’t help but laugh out loud. “I serve no man freely and I most certainly do not babysit children. You gave me life and for that I thank you, but if you knew anything about me I am not a man to who takes kindly to jokes.” He said turning slowly.

His eyes filled with anger, Protius stepped forward. “You will not disrespect Lady Celesa, stand and obey!”

Stopping, Sheknee turned and lightly laughed again. “Lady Celesa you say? Your lady is nothing more than an infant and I am no child’s plaything to be danced around for their amusement. Now if there is no further business, I have a mage to hunt and if fate allows a Dwarf to skin alive.” He said turning again away from the old priest only to have the child stand in front of him.

Giggling slightly she spoke. “And this is why I wanted you of all these fallen men. You are driven to one purpose, one goal. You seek the one called Rose do you not?”

Looking down at her he couldn’t understand what he was feeling, but there was something about this child that seemed unnatural.

“Technically it’s two goals, but yes, a Rose is a fallen flower I seek. You speak quiet well for one of your age. How do you know little red?” He said feeling uneasy.

Looking up at him she motioned him to lean closer for a whisper. Doing so, Sheknee knelt down and leaned closer.

In a hushed whisper she spoke. “I am much older than I look and death has no hold on me. This fallen flower you seek? She is my sister…”

Standing quickly, Sheknee backed away slowly making sure his sword was at his side still. Regaining his senses he calmed down and faced her again. “And you believe that is supposed to unsettle me, scare me into serving you? You are still nothing more than a child.”

Shaking her head in disapproval, Celesa skipped over to Protius. “For someone who was just brought back to life through my kindness, you sure are ungrateful. You are mine now to control and I will control you. What I offer is power. Serve me and you will have power enough to destroy kingdoms. I have already given you a small portion as you no doubt felt already when you came near me. So long as I live you will have it and more should I wish you to have it. That is what you hunger for is it not? Rose killed you so easily, shamefully. Wouldn’t you like to return the favor?”

Thinking for a moment, he rested his hand on the hilt of his sword. “Power is what I seek, but I will not be a child’s pet to get it. You can keep your “power” and your crusty priest; I will do as I please.” He said walking away.

Letting out a frustrated sigh, Celesa frowned. “You don’t seem to understand, but if you insist on defying me then I have no choice but to punish you.”

Sheknee slowed his pace as he began to feel that unnatural power that he felt earlier standing next to the child. Turning slowly, he faced them again and both the priest as well as the child were still there, only the child seemed to be changing.

The change was massive, Sheknee backed away slowly, unable to take his eyes off of her. In his many years of fighting he had gone so long without showing emotion that would affect his abilities. However, there was one emotion surfacing that he hadn’t felt in all of his life. Even as the shadow from the thing that stood before him now covered him, he tried to fight it. It was then in that moment he learned that this emotion would not be denied or hidden away. This one would dominate everything else in the presence of this, this “child”…

…Fear

The things that followed could not be seen by anyone other than those who were there as well as the ghosts that haunted the night. Even the screams that filled the air would draw no attention and would just be another sound of horror in the darkest forest in Azeroth, Duskwood.

1 Like

((Part 8))

He sat quietly in the corner puffing on his pipe. His wolves at his feet licking their wounds from the day’s battles. The old dwarf stared across the room at the sisters. Rose still lay unconscious as Kera sat beside her with a look of concern. Feeling his gaze Kera looked over to Wulfgrin and moved to sit beside him, much to the displeasure of the wolves.

“Forgive them; they still do not trust you and I must say that even I need better convincing.” He said.

Sighing softly she looked toward Rose again. “I suppose I owe you that much, but this will have to start from the beginning.”

“Rose and I grew up in the farmlands of Westfall with our younger sister Celesa. Our parents weren’t wealthy, but we were well off. Father worked as an apprentice for a then unknown arch mage in the experiments department. This mages name would later be known as Sarken.” She said nodding to the body of the mage now on the floor.

“Working with him kept our father away for many days leaving us to train ourselves. I was able to apply to the mage academy in Stormwind where I furthered my training in frost. What I learned I tried to teach Rose, but her control of her fire abilities were unstable and her concentration was lacking. She was still too young to fully understand her powers and her emotions still too immature. Much of her focus was to Celesa and the games they played. She adored her and their connection to each other was very strong. I suppose I should have understood that better back then as our father and I were always away and mother was too busy to spend time with them. Sometimes I wish I hadn’t gone to Stormwind and just stayed with them. Maybe some of this could have been avoided.” She said staring at Rose

“I don’t even think she will be able to remember who Celesa even is.” She said sighing softly.

Looking back to Wulfgrin she continued.

“Months had passed and she learned what she could from me and though it was slow going, she did learn a lot. Then one day our father returned home after being gone for several weeks working with Sarken. He looked tired and pale as though he had been working without eating or even gifted with a glimpse of sunlight. He said they were working on an experiment funded by the nobles that required them to work in secret. They were in the final stages and the time had come for testing specific subjects. Ten families were chosen for the testing, but it was the children who would be tested. Thirteen in all, they would go one by one to take part in the experiment. Father assured us that there was no need for concern and that the test was very safe. Rose, Celesa and I had been chosen for the experiment, though Celesa was far too young to do the test so she remained off the list. Or so we thought.”

Wulfgrin puffed on his pipe in thought. “There is no test that would be approved by nobles that would involve human trials. What kind of experiment was this?”

“You’re right, there isn’t a test they would approve for humans, at least if they were told it was being tested on animals. The nobles involved were misled into believing the tests were being done on large animals, but would not be allowed to view the progress. The experiment itself was to be a splicing of powers. The goal was to take the powers of a fallen demon and combine it with the powers of those in tune with arcane. Mixing the powers of shadow and arcane could give birth to a new power, one controlled. Fel magic is wild and hard to control, warlocks spend their entire lives battling to control the powers they try to use and their power is just a fraction of the power of a true demon. Mix that power with the control of strong mage…” Kera pauses at the thought.

“And you get a weapon.” Wulfgrin said

Kera nodded and continued. “The tests began and one by one the children sent in came out unchanged. Some would have small changes, burns on their skin, hair changing color; some even either gained a small boost in their power or lost them completely.”

Before she continued, Wulfgrin interrupted. “Why were children chosen to begin with? I would think they would want those who were better trained and could handle the strain of such changes.”

“Because of the raw potential of the child, the power is there, but not yet in check. A younger generation tends to learn faster than their elders which unlock the chance to tap into that raw untamed power. The hope I believe, was that by mixing the powers at an early age increases the chance they would be more easily absorbed by the child. The mixed powers would then be treated as though they were always there and could be mastered normally. Trying to mix them to an adult would prove useless as the more refined training of the arcane would dominate the fel magic and not mix at all.

We were each chosen based on our age and ability, highet and size. Mainly to test the various effects on the subject until the perfect one emerged. Though each subject that underwent the treatment was unchanged or slightly different in appearance, only a few seemed to gain anything from the absorption. I myself felt a soft change in my strength, some spells that would take time to cast now came to complete in seconds. Rose, from what I could tell at the time, had no changes on her at all. At least not on the surface at the time and that may have been because of her age and behavior.”

Wulfgrin smirked slightly at that. “Sounds like her. You mentioned the process required a fallen demon, how did they plan to merge the two powers?”

Taking a moment to reply Kera continued. “It was a type of possession, not the kind you hear a lot about these days, there were precautions taken. A team of demon hunters would be sent out to collect a specimen, defeat it and send it to the lab for the experiment. Once there, Sarken would begin a binding ritual to insure the demon could not force it’s will onto anyone should it still be alive. Once the spells and curses were in place a test subject would be sent in. Once in place a priest would perform a spell on the demon turning it into a cloud of shadow which the subject would then inhale. The process after would take between four to six hours before the first signs of change took place. After eight hours, if nothing changed a spell would then be cast to remove the demonic essence from the subject. This experiment went on for a few months and it wasn’t until the twelfth test that a problem occurred.” She said as her gaze turned to Faruzia who sat in the corner with her voidwalker.

Wulfgrin followed her gaze to the warlock. “What is wrong? Do you know her?”

Nodding slowly she spoke quietly. “I have not met her before today, but her actions during the fight have me curious. She calls her voidwalk ‘father’ and the scars on her cheeks, burns I take it? There was a story about a young girl, the daughter of a demon hunting family who would hunt demons together. On one particular mission, the demon they were sent to capture overpowered them and she lost her parents in the fight, both lost to the void with the demon. The families name was Tearius and the daughters name was Faruzia.”

Wulfgrin puffed on his pipe as he looked at Faruzia. “Faruzia Tearius, though she tends to go by the nickname Frozentears. She’s made no mention of this story to any of us and she really only joined us for the gold I offered. Sad to lose a family in such a manner, but what does she have to do with anything?”

Kera looked down. ”It was her family that was sent to collect the demons for the experiment and she was also the tenth test subject. When they failed at collecting the twelfth demon, it was still alive when it was sent. While it may not have been the intention to send it anywhere other than to banish it, it was sent to a test subject. However, the twelfth subject did not receive it and another that for whatever reason was on the list, intercepted it. Celesa was the thirteenth and last subject.”

Kera balled her fist and slammed it onto the desk they sat at. Standing, she turned to lean on the desk.

“We didn’t know, no one knew what had happened until it was too late. Celesa became deathly sick several hours after the possession. We thought she was just sick and tried to care for her as best as we could, but nothing we did worked. Rose was frantic and would not stop crying as her best friend, her sister lay helpless in bed. After all we did failed, father and I decided to go to the city and call on the aid of a skilled doctor to help us. Leaving mother and Rose behind to watch Celesa, we set out. I only wish I had stayed, maybe I could have prevented what happened after we left.” Kera said pausing to wipe a few tears away.

Regaining her composer she continued. “While we were away Celesa’s condition worsened and she was getting weaker by the minute. She would last another hour before she stopped breathing. Our mother began to panic and did everything she could to revive her, she worked hard for five minutes and just when she thought she had failed, Celesa took a breath again. Sometime during this moment, Rose walked into the room. What she saw confused and enraged her. All she saw was the body of her sister and her mother pounding on her chest. She didn’t know she was trying to bring her back and reacted to what she saw. Her rage fueled her untrained powers and the house erupted in flame. From outside we saw at a distance the flames of our house and as we reached it we saw Rose sitting on the steps of the house, flames behind her, crying. She kept saying how sorry she was and asked if they would be ok. We tried several times to go into the house, but the flames were too intense, there was nothing we could do.

In the morning when the flames finally died out, we recovered the body of our mother, but could not find Celesa anywhere. It was assumed the fire burned everything and there was nothing left to recover. Father was expressionless for days and would not even look at Rose. He never returned to work either, which probably saved his life as Sarken had called into action an assassin. The fire had threated to expose the experiment and he could not afford to lose what research he did manage to gain. The assassin was sent out to kill the families involved in the experiment as well as the children. Nothing was to be left alive. Once we had learned of this, father moved Rose into the city and placed her in the care of the orphanage. We would go our separate ways to lessen the chance we were found together and we would train to become stronger. To this day I do not know where father went or if he is even still alive. I traveled to the Dark Portal in hopes to find a way to use it, but I was followed by Sarken and in our fight I was still not strong enough to defeat him. At the same time your clan arrived in the middle of our fight and I had fled thinking you were sent to aid him. In order to protect his secrets, he killed your clan to prevent witnesses from interfering. Somehow you lived.”

Wulfgrin bit hard onto his pipe at the memory of his fallen clan. Placing a hand on MeatBags head, he slowly stroked the wolf which brought him comfort.

Kera hesitated but continued. “After the battle, I fled far north and found refuge in a very unlikely place, the blood elves just north of the Eastern Plaguelands took me in and from them I continued my studies. As the years passed I would send out a scout to keep track of Rose as she grew within the orphanage. One of the reports I got told me of the Stonemasons rebellion and that Rose joined them in order to fill a need to belong to something. Later they would be called the Defias. At that time I lost track of Rose and her movements, though reports of Defias attacks spread throughout the kingdom. Another report was brought to me during this time, one that caused me to leave the safety of the Elves. The report said there was a sighting of a young girl, no more than five that was seen traveling the roads in Stranglethorn. The description that was given fit the profile of Celesa and I had to see for myself. I tracker her down to a ruined troll camp in the northern parts of Stranglethorn. When I arrived, she seemed to be waiting for me, smiling a smile that sent a chill down my spine. It had been ten years at least, yet her body was unchanged in age. Burns covered her body that she received from the fire Rose had caused, but save for that, nothing was different.

She begged me to come closer, but I kept my distance as she explained her story. The night of the fire we had thought she was very sick, but she had told me that was not the case. The demon that was meant to be sent to the twelfth child was sent to her, alive. She was battling the demon within, fighting to keep it from taking her. She fought so hard and through a power she did not know she had, she defeated the demon and took possession of it instead. Though victorious, her young body could not handle the strain of the fight and died. Through a miracle of sorts, she was brought back by our mother only to be moments later surrounded by fire. There was only seconds to find a way to defend herself from the flames and using her new powers she was able to create shield that protected most of her body. There was nothing she could do for our mother and escaped through the window. She didn’t know what happened after, but she awoke later in the forests of Duskwood. There she spent her time learning her new abilities and hoped to one day return home. During her time in Duskwood she learned about what Sarken and the nobles had done and that though she aged mentally, her body did not. She then realized there was no chance to ever go home and live normally which made her furious. She then turned that fury into a thought of revenge and wanted to see all those involved killed. She offered me a chance to join her in this revenge and said she would do everything that was done to us. I told her I would seek out Sarken and end his life, but I would not go after families. This upset her and claimed that if I was not going to help her, I was an obstacle to be removed and attacked me. The spell she launched at me was one I had never seen before and had no defense for. It had the form of all three of the schools of arcane as well as fel magic that increased its strength. Through sheer luck she had missed me and obliterated the hill behind me. Not giving her a second chance, I fled as fast as I could. I knew then I had to find Rose at all cost before she did, but I had no idea where to look. That is, until I heard about Moonbrook.”

Wulfgrin nodded at that. “And that is where we come in. We had heard about your sister and my hate for you drove me to find her and find her I did. The town was ablaze when I arrived and I found Rose stumbling away from the nearby pond. She seemed confused and weak, so I decided to take her to safety. I left her in the care of Sarken not knowing his past and that was my own failing. Rose still had no idea who he was or what had happened in Moonbrook. What I was able to find out from survivors was she had attacked a priest after setting the school on fire. The priest attempted to mind control her to get her to stop attacking, but instead scrambled her memories. She remembers nothing during or before Moonbrook or what she had done. What you see now is a new Rose, what she was before was a monster and before the priest, she was just as bad as any of the Defias. She has a fresh start now and I worry about what she will do when you tell her what you told me. She is more mature now, but as you saw her rage is still there.”

Kera nodded looking back to Rose who was beginning to stir. “You let me worry about that. She will need us to keep her strong through this. It won’t be easy for her to hear she killed her mother and may have to kill her beloved younger sister now. For now, gather your people and rest. When we are ready we will need to move to intercept Celesa before she begins her hunt for the nobles. We will need everyone here at their best if we are to face her, she is stronger than anything known and we know nothing of her powers. Together we may stand a better chance.”

With that Kera stood and walked over to Rose. Kneeling beside her she woke her gently and began to speak to her.

Wulfgrin watched with concern. There was a feeling of dread that could be felt in the room, death lingered in the air and it could be seen on those present. The war of the sisters was to begin soon and many in this room would not survive.

1 Like

((Part 9))

The path traveled on can be the defined by many different ways depending on who travels on it. Every person at one time or another finds themselves on a path that can be the most important thing they have ever traveled on in their lives. The path of redemption, of revenge, a new beginning or the end of a journey; each one different for those on their own path. No matter the path, the story for each one is unique to the one on that path. On this path, eleven travelers journey towards the end of their story, but perhaps the beginning of a new one.

Lorix and Denava

“You’ve been staring at me like that ever since we left the tower. Something on your mind?” Lorix said annoyed.

Denava sat up straight on her mount surprised she had been noticed. Waving her hand she said “No no, I just um…” She started to say, but bit her lip. Though she tried hard, she could not help but continue. “What happened to you? I mean, I haven’t seen you for a few years now and what they are saying about you can’t be true. I trained hard with father so I could join you in the front, but when I asked about you, they listed you as a deserter. They nearly threw me out just for being your sister. They weren’t right were they? You didn’t abandon your post?”

Lorix looked back at Denava and frowned. He reached into his saddlebag and pulled out a flask. Taking a long drink from it he slowly nodded.

“It’s true, I did leave my post. If I hadn’t, I would be just as dead as the rest of my platoon. Some uppity prick of an officer decided to leave me with newly trained recruits to hold an indefensible hole in the ground while he sat on his rear somewhere in safety. Claiming he had to plan the next attack. I knew better though, I knew all he was doing was sitting in his chair drinking himself into oblivion. I did what I could with what I had, but Warsong Gulch is no place for green troops and the Horde proved that to us time and time again. We stood no chance and every man in my unit was slaughtered with little effort. I was left for dead, but I watched as they did unspeakable things to my men. Before leaving, they took the flag of our regiment and covered it in the blood of our fallen, a token of their victory. Rather than stay, I left for I knew nothing would change. They would fix me up and then toss me back in the front with yet another fresh platoon waiting to be killed off.”

Denava watched as he took several more drinks from his flask. Emptying the flask, Lorix grumbled as he threw it onto the ground.

“I couldn’t bear to see more men die like mine did, so I fled. I tried to get to Booty Bay, but I got as far as Westfall. Still weak from my injuries I took refuge in the barn of a farmhouse. It didn’t take long before the family there discovered me, but rather than turn me into the local militia, they took me in and cared for my wounds. I stayed with them for several weeks until my wounds were healed. I had planned to leave, but I felt more at peace there than I had in much of my life and with their approval, I stayed to help around the farm.”

He paused for some time reflecting on his thoughts. After a few minutes he shifted uncomfortably in his saddle continuing.

“Things were good for a time; the boy was a delight and eager to learn about military life. His mother, a lovely lady herself, lost her husband to bandits and was left to tend the farm alone. I worked hard daily, helping whenever I could, but I could never replace what they had lost. A few months passed and for a time, I was happy. The world however, seemed displeased with my happiness and had other plans. I never saw it coming and before I could do anything it was too late. The Defias had begun forcing people from their land and those that stayed were killed or forced to work in the mines. The boy and his mother were ones that refused to leave. I was away gathering supplies for the stables when I came to see the house in flames and Defias thugs leading them away. I tried to fight them, but their numbers were too great. Again, I was left for dead, but by a different enemy and the loss was not a flag or token of war, but a loving family that I came to love myself. I vowed that when I was strong enough I would save them from the mines and working with this Dwarf will bring me to that goal.”

Denava rode up next to her brother and smiled.

“Then I will help you as well. Once we are done with this task I give my word, we will rescue them together. We may not serve in the same unit, but we can shake the foundations of the Defias and they will know they cannot mess with our family and walk away unscathed.”

Lorix nodded and smiled back to Denava. “Then we had better hurry this little adventure along. I don’t want to keep them waiting any longer.” He said spurring his mount forward.

Faruzia, Korena and Gorexin

Faruzia rode in silence with her imp Pipyap sitting on her shoulder. As she moved on, she stared at the two elves that were ahead following closely to Roses sister. Moving closer to them she drew their attention causing them to slow beside her.

Looking at the both of them Faruzia motioned to speak, but Pipyap spoke first. “So what’s your story?” He spoke in a rude tone granting him a fiery glare from Faruzia.

Not wanting her wrath, he backed off. “I-err, um, right I’ll be going then.” He said in a puff of smoke vanishing into nothing.

Turning her attention back to the elves she shook her head. “Despite his rude tone, his question is mine as well. What is your purpose here?”

Korena smiled slightly. “My brother and I serve the Grenwall family. Currently we follow Kera.”

Nodding, Faruzia smirked as she spoke. “You’re slaves then?”

Korena frowned at that and shook her head. “No, we serve her because we owe her our lives. She escaped into our lands to run from her own danger only to find the land she ran to was itself in peril. Our village was under attack by scourge invaders and many of our kin were killed in the assault. None of my people were trained soldiers and very few knew the arts so our defenses did not last long. As the final attack began, we had lost all hope and braced ourselves for the final outcome.”

She paused a moment to look towards Kera and smiled. “That is when we saw a wall of ice appear before us dividing the survivors and the attacking undead. We could not see through the ice, but we could hear the battle on the other side. Once the fighting ended, the wall came down and all of the undead had been defeated. Kera herself sat against a tree holding a wound in her side. As she passed out, we took her to a secure building and our best healers went to work on her.”

“And the fact she was human did not bother you?” Faruzia asked.

“Not at all, she saved what remained of our village by putting her own life on the line and she did not even know us. We swore that we would repay her kindness by any means. We later found that what she sought was knowledge, anything that could help her further her own abilities. We showed her what we knew and in return she taught many of us what she knew. I learned I had a strong connection to fire and she said in many ways I reminded her of her sister.”

Faruzia sighed at that. “Yeah, a strong connection to fire, I know that already. You blew us through a wall remember?”

Korena giggled softly. “Yes and I am sorry about that, but we could not have you interfering. I was only doing as I was told. What about you? Why are you here?”

Faruzia looked down at her mount. “When we first started all I wanted was money. Since we left the tower I feel as though there is something much more here than just money. My parents met their end at the hands of a powerful demon and I believe if I stay on this path I’ll know more about him.”

Korena nodded. “What will you do if you find it? Sometimes what you seek is not the answer you want.”

She looked up to Korena. “I Will kill it. Because of that damned demon, my life, my family is in ruins. Before I do, I have to know how it escaped the banishment my parents sacrificed their lives to put it in.”

Gorexin placed a hand on Korena drawing her attention. Whispering in her ear, he spoke. “She doesn’t know…”

Hearing it, Faruzia interrupted. “Know what? What do you know?”

Looking back to her, Korena smiled. “Oh, it’s nothing. I do believe though if we continue together on this path you will find the answers you seek. For now, stay focused and do not let your emotions take control.”

Faruzia nodded slowly and let her mount slow letting the elves move forward.

Wulfgrin, Kera and Rose

“She’s been taking this a little too well.” Wulfgrin said riding beside Kera.

Looking towards Rose, Kera frowned slightly.

“It will take time for it all to sink in. I still do not know what kind of damage was done to her mind by the priest. Her memories being scrambled were just part of problem. She remembers bits and pieces, but to not know anything about her family and turning her personality completely around like he did, it’s like he was trying to do something much more than control her.”

Wulfgrin nodded at that. “It was as though he was trying to reprogram her mind for a different purpose. Controlling her only lasts until the spell ended, but he was trying to make it last long after it ended. The question is though, will what he did last on her or will we see her go back to her old ways?”

Kera stared at the ground as they continued. “While I was searching for her, the scouts I sent out would return with reports of her actions while with the Defias. The things she did Wulf…” She pauses a moment turning to Wulfgrin. “…We can’t let her slip back. Right now she barely knows who I am and is even less certain of Celesa. What she was before, even I don’t know who she turned into. I need you to do something for me.” Kera said

“If this fight starts to go poorly for us, I need you to take Rose away and care for her. Right now she’s known you longer than any of us and you were the first person she met after Moonbrook that was kind to her. I need you to watch over her and guide her on the right path so she never slips.”

Wulfgrin hesitated, but could see the concerned look in Keras eyes. “I can do as you ask. I will do my best to mentor her, but what will you do?”

“Should we survive this fight I plan to track down the nobles who signed off on the experiment order. It is rumored that the order came from a sole person and was passed down to the nobles with promise of riches upon their signature. Whoever this person was, they are one who started all of this and watched from the shadows during its progression. I will hunt this person down.” Kera said gripping the horses’ reins tighter.

Wulfgrin watched her carefully and in a calm voice spoke. “Has there been any word as to what this person looks like?”

Shaking her head she turned back to Wulf. “As far as I know so far no one has seen him or if he is even indeed a ‘He’ or ‘She’. They have been very cautious to keep themselves hidden.”

Wulfgrin looking forward again smiled slightly. “A mystery to solve later then. We should focus on what is to come, I am sure we will have our hands full just trying to stay alive.”

Sheknee, Protius and Celesa

“What the hell are you looking at old fool?” Sheknee sneered as he removed the final bandages covering the wounds received from his lashing by Celesa. Tossing the wrappings aside he could feel the gaze of the old priest. “Well? Speak up!”

Protius smiled “If I were you, I would keep my voice down. You wouldn’t want to upset your master again would you?” He said smiling knowing that title stung Sheknee.

Gritting his teeth he moved to say something, but his eyes shifted over to Celesa who sat alone in the open in the field before them. Watching her, he sat down again in an annoyed huff. Shifting his gaze back to Protius he sat silently.

“No, I didn’t think so. That’s a good dog.” Protius said.

Ignoring the insult, Sheknee looked towards Celesa again. “What are we doing here anyway? Bringing me back to life and granting me power only to have me hiding in the shadows like a coward. You at least are her right hand and you are sat down like me. Yet you don’t seem to care.”

Protius also watched Celesa in a calm gaze. “That is because I do what I am told. Our purpose is only to be support when she calls for it. We have the element of surprise with us. Our foe is unaware of my presence and believes you to be dead and those factors will come in handy. We will sit here until called, but I believe that will never happen. She is far more capable in handling them on her own; we would just get in the way.”

Shaking his head, Sheknee stabbed the ground with his sword out of boredom. “Whatever, as long as I get to repay her dear sister. The moment I see her I may just reintroduce myself.” He said smirking.

Turning quickly, Protius grabbed Sheknees armored collar. “You will do no such thing! If we are called at all it will be to deal with the companions accompanying her sisters and no one else. You make any move against them and I will kill you myself.”

Sheknee angrily pulled away from Protius, swatting away his hand. “Your little master may have given me pain that I have never felt before reminding me that there are still things even I can fear. You however, I do not fear and you had best remember that. This arrangement is only temporary and the very moment I am free from her shadow I will come for you.” He said sitting down again.

Still standing, Protius smiled slightly. “Then on that day I will show you what this crusty old priest can do. You will then underst…” Stopping his sentence, Protius turned quickly towards Celesa. He could feel the sudden increase of power and then he could see them in the distance.

“The sisters have arrived…” He said softly.

1 Like

((Part 10))

“What is it that defines a hero? Is it the actions they take to protect the innocent, is it the tragic stories of their past that propels them to fight evil? Who is it that decides who or what is evil? I have sat here trying to figure that out, which am I? Am I the hero or the villain?

I come from a tragic background, one quite terrible. I was born with great potential and great power, but it was cut short by the sadistic experiments of a scientist. Despite his efforts, I survived only to be attacked again by one I trusted, one I loved. At the cost of my mother’s life I survived. I spent years in exile, hiding from those that hurt me until I was strong enough and ready to strike back.

I couldn’t do it alone so I asked another I trusted and she too would betray me. Cursed, burned, betrayed and I even died only to be reborn as what I am today. I want revenge for what happened to me, I want to set right the wrongs done to us, but the betrayers stand before me and claim me the villain?”

Celesa stared at the group before her, watching each closely. Her eyes focused onto her sisters Kera and Rose. Standing, she continued.

“Me, a villain? What gives you the right to claim me so? I only seek out those responsible for Sarkens experiments; I will make them suffer as we have, as I have.”

Kera stepped forward. “What you want is beyond revenge, it is murder! Sarken is dead, his tower destroyed and all of his research is gone. The experiment cannot continue nor be duplicated without his notes. There is no need for more bloodshed.”

“IT IS NOT ENOUGH! Entire families were killed to cover up the experiment and its failure. You don’t know what I have been through, the pain I have suffered to get this far. You stand there so confident in yourselves that your way is right. What I will do will show them they cannot do what they did and walk free without consequence.”

Rose stepped forward this time. “Celesa please, doing this will only make it wors…” she begins to say before an unseen force closes her mouth and lifts her from the ground. Lorix and Denava both draw their weapons to assist.

Celesa’s voice grew darker and boomed with dark power. “Tell those tin cans to back off or I will tear her head off and use it to make them into scrap metal!” she said without moving from her spot.

Kera waved them off and Celesa focused again on Rose.

“You, you do not get to speak to me murderer. You have no breath in my presence, not even to fill the lungs in your wretched body. You of all those here are more of a villain than I will ever be dubbed so. You killed our mother, burned me alive, ran from the safety of the city and joined a cause that reigned chaos throughout the land. Burned towns and murdered people on sight and you did so willingly and with joy. You have the nerve to stand there with those that call themselves heroes?”

Kera pleaded to Celesa. “She doesn’t remember anything. In Moonbrook, a priest entered her mind and altered it. Her memories are skewed, she didn’t even know about us until a few months ago. She didn’t even know about you or mother until today. The Rose you speak of no longer exists.”

Shooting a devilish look towards Kera she smiled as the unseen force holding her squeezed harder “And who do you think sent that priest?” She said throwing Rose to the ground knocking her out.

“It still does not clear her of her past. I, nor will anyone she has affected will ever forgive her for what she has done. Nor will anyone forgive the rest of you. I do not even have to use my abilities to read your thoughts, they scream to me. Thieves, betrayers, deserters, murderers among all of you and you all face me for what I might do all the while overlooking your own sins. So I ask again, who decides who is the hero or villain? I could just as easily be here to stop all of you for all of the things you have done or will do. Then I come out the hero, avenger of the fallen.” She said laughing to herself.

Then she stopped and sighed. “No, that’s not how it will turn out. We will fight, people will die and the winner will judge who the heroes and villains are. That is how the world works isn’t it? Why bother talking anymore when we all know how this will end? Then let’s get this started.”

Celesa stood firm and clenched her fists as an aura of darkness poured out around her as her power began to take shape. Her eyes turned black and she began to speak demonic words while forming arcane signs.

“This will be fun. So far only one has seen what I can do and now I can show the worl…” She is interrupted by a sharp pain in her back. The look of surprise is evident as the tip of the dagger explodes from her chest. Letting out a dark cry in agony, all of the power built up suddenly stops as she falls to the ground.

Kera and all of the others stare in disbelief and watch as a tall form emerges from the shadows and carefully removes the dagger from Celesas back.

Vendo

“Mission complete, experiment thirteen has been eliminated.” He said turning to walk away.

Wiping the blade clean he sheathes it as he walks away. Taking only a few steps he is frozen in place by the sound of laughter. Turning slowly he watches as Celesa picks herself up and faces him. The fatal wound he gave her healing quickly.

Celesa smiled and pointed at Vendo. “I’ve been waiting for you. I knew you were here, I could sense you. I just needed to lure you in and what better way to do that than a useless powering up move. Sarkens assassin, we finally meet. A shadow killer of children and families. What, able fighters too much for you so you turn to killing the defenseless? You have much to answer for and I will start my revenge with you.”

Fearing for his life Vendo slips into the shadows to escape. Celesa smiles at this and vanishes before everyone’s eyes. In the shadows all that can be heard is quick movements and then silence. After a few moments of quiet the silence is shattered by painful screams. The screams grew louder in each moment until they too are brought to an end.

Once the screams stop, Celesa reappeared before the group and floating around her were what remained of Vendo. His body had been torn to pieces. Celesa tossed the floating remains on the ground and smiled.

“Now, shall we begin our dance?”

2 Likes

((Sorry, I’m behind on reading. I got caught up in Save the Cat stuff again. I love this story.))

((Wow, shall we begin the dance indeed. Good job.))

((Part 11))

He studied the area around him thoroughly, looked at every tree, stump and minor hill. Those around him were silent and still in shock at what had just happened to the assassin. He however, was more focused on how it happened which caused his mind to scream to him possibilities. He looked at the body parts and where they were and then judged the distance from where they originally were.

“It’s not her.” Lorix finally said breaking the silence.

Denava looked towards her brother noticing how focused he was. His many years of training and combat now coming to light. “What isn’t her?” she asked.

Pointing at Celesa, he moved his finger to her feet. “Look at the ground. When she moved to engage the assassin, the ground shifted in a pattern much larger than the size of the child. What we see before us is not her true form.”

Lorix looked back at the downed Rose and Kera who tried to wake her sister. Sighing at that he looked towards the others and his eyes caught Faruzia. “You, you’re a demon hunter right? Can you see or sense anything or whatever it is you do?” he said.

“I’m not a tracking hound; I can’t just sniff the air and magically know what the hell is in front of me.” Faruzia said in a growl. “But, to answer your question, I cannot see it clearly, but there is something of an aura around her like another form. It is not visible to the untrained and even I can barely see it.”

“So a shield of some sort?” He said looking back.

“No, this has more of a rough shape and moves as she moves. Like a larger shadow that mimics her movements.” Faruzia said.

He stared across the field for a few seconds thinking of what to do. He looked over at Denava who stood ready with her greatsword. A large weapon given to her from their father it was almost bigger than her, but she held it confidently.

“Are you any good with that blade?” He asked

“As good as you, I can hold my own.” She said with pride.

Lorix smiled at that. “Do you remember that trick we did to get on top of fathers barn? Think you could do it again?” he asked grinning.

Smiling she replied. “Yes and I remember a hard week of chores after nearly breaking his sword doing it. We were just kids then; the blade would break under the weight now.” She said looking at the sword.

Lorix nodded as he reached for his own greatsword from his horse and tossed it to Denava. “What about now? Think you could handle it?” he asked.

“It’s better, but it is still just one blade.” She said testing the sword.

Shaking his head he motioned at their father’s blade and made a crossing gesture with his arms. “It won’t be just one, not if we use both.”

Denava laughed. “It takes most of my strength to carry one of these; you can’t expect me to carry two of them.”

“There is not time to dispute it. You need to find the strength right now to do it. The little one won’t wait much longer for us to do something.” He said nodding towards Celesa.

Picking up the second sword she grimaced at the weight and gave her brother an annoyed look.

Smiling, Lorix turned to the others.

“We have to be quick at this. Faruzia, I need you to do your best to track her movements if we are to take her head on. Denava and I will take the flanks while the two elves strike the center at ranged. Wulfgrin and Kera will stay with the downed Rose. We need to test what we are going up against and hit her with as much as we can. Stay focused and do not risk more than you can give.” He said as he tossed his shield away.

Pulling a single long bladed sword he stood ready looking to his sister with a different gaze than before. Her eyes met his and even though he said nothing, she could feel his fear. Smiling she tried to comfort him. “Are you ready for this?” she asked

“I’m never ready, but if you are prepared for everything, there is little room for surprise and where is the fun in that? You just be ready with those blades when I come.” He said smiling back. “Gorexin, Korena, get her attention if you please.” He said as he moved to the right of Celesa. As if on command Denava mirrored her brother by moving the left.

As both Lorix and Denava began to quicken their speed, Lorix watched as Korena powered a ball of fire while Gorexin launched several arrows down the field towards the waiting Celesa. As the arrows streaked through the air, Korena released her fireball and began charging another. Lorix watched as he increased his own speed to match Denavas own speed and showed little surprise as the arrows hit with no affect. As the fireball hit moments later he noticed a small shimmer of light that became visible seconds after the mages attack.

“No shield my as-“ He started to say before a cry from Faruzia filled the air.

“Lorix! At your right!” He heard her say as he turned in time to avoid an invisible strike. He couldn’t believe the speed that she moved; he hadn’t taken his eyes off of her for more than a second. Yet there she was, no more than feet away from him smiling. Rolling low he felt the air around him shift as the unseen strike missed him and struck the ground. Coming to his feet he continued his sprint, but shifted his movement towards Denava who was waiting to meet him with the twin swords crossed.

As Lorix ran to his sister, both Gorexin and Korena continued to attack despite the little affect they were having on Celesa who still stood watching with her arms behind her back as if taunting. Running at full speed now, Lorix charged at Denava with his eyes set on the swords. Denava gripped the hilts harder and braced herself for the impact as Lorix leapt towards her. Planting both feet at the center of the swords as his weight caused them to bow greatly. Looking towards the sky Lorix used the swords to propel him high into the air.

As he soared through the air above Celesa, he noticed her arms were glowing behind her back and as he sank closer he saw an unusual spell begin formed. At the moment another volley of arrows and fire struck Celesa who in the same instant responded by releasing the spell. Lorix tried to call out to the two elves, but they had little time to react.

The spell was ugly in form, but he could tell from the description Kera had given, it was one of Celesas strongest attacks. With no time to evade the attack, Gorexin moved in front of Korena to shield her from the blast. Lorix watched in horror as the blast blew through without stopping and incinerated both of them.

Cursing to himself Lorix focused on his descent towards Celesa from above. Changing from a slash attack to a downward thrust, he put as much strength into the attack as he could to strike hard at Celesas left shoulder. The shield protecting her became clearly visible as the power of the sword fought its resistance and broke through shattering it in a bright flash of light. The sword sunk deep into Celesas shoulder as Lorix pushed harder forcing the blade down until the sword guard prevented it from going farther.

Screaming in agony, Celesa flailed in a panicked manner striking Lorix hard causing him let go of the sword. Coming to his feet again, Lorix backed away from the wild strikes of Celesa and stood next to Denava again.

“There, that wasn’t too bad. I told you there was a damned shield.” He said taking his greatsword back from Denava. Looking to his sister he gave a playful punch on her shoulder. “I told you that you could handle both of those swords”

Smiling, Denava started to say something, but all Lorix could hear was a familiar laughter coming from Celesa.

Across the field, Celesa was standing now, fully composed and smiling. “Like moths to a flame. Did you learn nothing from the assassin?” She said as she reached for the sword in her shoulder. Grimacing as she slowly pulled it out, tossing it to the ground. Both Lorix and Denava watched as the wound healed completely.

Lorix stood in shock. “This makes no sense. A shield and healing magic? Kera said nothing about this, what the hell is going on?”

Before he could even react, Celesa vanished before their eyes. Within seconds Lorix could hear the cries of Faruzia yelling for them to move, but it was far too late as the child appeared in front of Lorix. The only thing Lorix could do was push Denava clear of them.

Denava watched as Lorix was lifted into the air high above Celesas head. Lorix fought back as much as he could landing several blows, which healed as fast as he struck. Annoyed by the attacks, Celesa grabbed the sword arm and without hesitation, ripped the arm off from his body tossing both away.

“LORIX!” Denava screamed as her brother cried out in pain. Celesa still smiling turned him so that he was facing Denava. “Be brave now; do not show it to her. I know the truth of your true heart coward. It was not the Horde who threw you down and took you for dead, you hid from them. You stayed there motionless and watched your men die. You watched and were afraid to move. You fled from your responsibilities and hid from conflict. You’ve been a coward all of your life until today. Do not show her your weakness, be brave oh hollow tin man, be brave for her.” She whispered in his ear.

Lorix stopped struggling and looked at his sister. “Denava, I-“he started to say as Celesa snapped his neck tossing his lifeless body to the ground.

Denava sat stunned as she stared at her brothers’ body. Tears streamed down her cheeks as she grabbed her fathers’ sword as well as the sword from Lorix’s dead arm. With uncontrollable rage, she raised both swords; one in each hand and in a wild cry launched herself at Celesa.

As the battle continued between Denava and Celesa, far into the woods away from the eyes of those in combat sat Sheknee and Protius. Sheknee watched as the priest worked fast to cast as many healing spells as he could protecting his master.

“This warrior is full of such fury. She is striking faster than I can heal. I don’t know why Lady Celesa doesn’t just kill her like that other worthless warrior.” Protius said completing more spells.

Sheknee watched carefully all of the priest movements, timing them. “She is playing with her. Feeding off of her grief. She seems to take great joy in causing pain, both physically and mentally. But it’s all a lie isn’t it? She isn’t invincible; you are protecting her in the shadows.”

“No, Lady Celesa was blessed with great power, but her own healing is light at best. She can take many attacks herself, but to give the impression that she is immortal she needs me.” He said facing the battle.

Sheknee moved quietly behind the priest. “So that’s it? You are her secret weapon, a pocket healer?” he laughed.

“I am no weapon; I am her guardian and protector. I pulled her from the fire and watched her grow to the power she is now. You on the other hand are the weapon, the attack dog if you will. Though in this fight all you will get are the scraps left on the table.” Protius laughed as Sheknee moved closer to the priests exposed back.

“You know, I said something like that to the young masters’ sister Rose once. Only I said it after her betrayal was clear before me.” He said as he rammed his fist through the back of Protius.

Leaning closer he whispered in the priests ear. “You talk too much you know that? Telling the little brats’ weakness to the one person who has threatened to kill you. Now with your downfall I can watch as the oh so great child dies.”

Protius began to cough blood as his face twisted into a smile. “Y-you are a fool. You only kill yourself.” He said as his eyes began to glow white and a pillar of fire rained down the sky over him causing Sheknee to withdraw his hand from the priests’ body.

As Sheknee leapt back, he watched as Protius healed his own body and placed a shield around himself.

“Did you not think I could protect myself? I am a priest of the light, blessed by the holy order and a master of the ways of healing. Any attack you do to me I can mend fully. Come at me fool, when the master is done with them, she will rip you apart for your treachery.” He said

Sheknee stood motionless with his hand still clenched in a fist and he smiled at the priest.

“It’s good that you are so skilled in all of that whatever you were talking about. I couldn’t pay attention as I was counting down. I do have to ask though, how good are you with explosives?” he said unclenching his fist revealing the pin of a goblin grenade.

“Crude little things these bombs, but easy to hide in ones hand. It was a long fuse, so I think you have about ten seconds to do whatever it is you do to heal that.” He said laughing as he watched Protius scream in panick as he clawed at his own body in a futile effort to get to the bomb.

With a defeated look on his face, Protius turned towards the area Celesa was fighting and tried call out to her in warning.

Before he could get out a single word of warning, he is reduced to a cloud of smoke and flesh as the bomb sealed in his body explodes.

Sheknee kicked pieces of the priest from his boot and he stared off into the field. Looking past Celesa and Denava as well as the others and looked only at Rose.

“I give you this present my little fallen rose. There will be a time for us later, for now enjoy this chance I give you. Do not disappoint me.”

Sheknee gathered his gear and gave one last look across the field before walking off into the forest.

“I will be waiting for you my fallen rose.” He said vanishing into the darkness.

((Fun note, the grenade in the chest thing I thought was cool. Then Underworld 4 came out and had the same dang scene in the movie. I didn’t have a table at the time, but if I had one I would have flipped it lol.))

((Part 12))

Fury, anger, sadness, she could feel all of this as the warrior struck wildly at her. Each blow came faster than the one before it, with such blinding speed that many would miss, but the ones that hit their mark were noticeably strong. What started as a game was becoming more serious as the fight went on. This warrior was not as strong as her brother before her, but the ferocity in her attacks made her unpredictable in her movements. These things did not bother Celesa as much as the fact that many of the wounds she did receive were not healing like they should.

Taking a moment to glance in the direction of her “allies” she noticed she could not feel the presence of neither Protious nor Sheknee. She could only assume they killed each other or Sheknee learned of her one weakness and quickly disposed of him. In time, she will find him and show him a pain ten times that of what he received in Duskwood. For now though she had to end this game much sooner than planned as her own healing could not keep up with the wounds she was gaining from this warrior.

Denava continued to throw herself at Celesa, swinging both great swords with unnatural strength. That strength however, was beginning to slowly fade away with each strike. Each time she would attack it took longer to recover for the next and the weight of the swords began to add strain to Denava’s untrained arms as the fighting style was something even vengeful fury could not overcome. This did not go unnoticed by Celesa as she increased her speed to make the tiring warrior fight harder to catch her. This continued until at last Denava stopped to breath and could no longer lift the heavy weapons.

Celesa smiled and moved forward to end this game when suddenly Denava threw one of the swords at her. Dodging easily, Celesa turned her attention back to Denava who now was only feet away with her remaining great sword high above her head. Using the last of her strength, she brought the sword down only to have it stopped just above Celesa’s head. Pushing as hard as she could she could not get the sword to move past the unseen force. As she fought to get free something had grabbed her neck and began to squeeze hard causing her to let go of the sword and fight for air.

“Poor thing, you tried so hard to avenge your brother, but alas, you are just as weak as he was. I might have let you live as you are the only one in this group of would be heroes whose past is not clouded with evil. However, blind hatred can fuel revenge and I cannot have you hounding me.” Celesa said as she squeezed harder.

The fight in the warrior began to end as her hands fell to her sides and struggling ceased. As she was about to deliver the final squeeze, Celesa is struck from behind by a ball of fire causing her to drop Denava.

“Who the heck wou…” She said as she turned to meet a purple fist to her face which sent her flying backwards.

Getting back to her feet, Celesa looked for her assailant and saw Faruzia standing next to her voidwalker and imp on her shoulder.

Wiping the blood from her mouth she smiled. “Shadow seems to have an effect on me. That explains why I couldn’t sense that thing coming.” She said getting back to her feet.

“So you are the daughter of the lost demon hunters who helped in the experiment? You’ve spent a long time looking that demon haven’t you?”

“My parents, they were lost in the warp, but did not die. They both live and are with me now in the form of my guardians. I will find a way to free them one day and then we will destroy the demon that caused their torment. If that means helping destroy you first, so be it. Your tricks will not fool me; I can see your true form.” Faruzia said

Celesa laughed at that. “Well, I have to hand it to you; you can see part of me, but not all of it. You got in a lucky shot for which I should reward you. You are looking for that demon that took your parents, well; I think I can help with that.” She said as a dark aura formed around her.

The shadow that surrounded Celesa began to become more visible as the aura grew around the small form of Celesa. The form that had protected Celesa was now fully clear and towered over even the voidwalker. The childlike image of Celesa was now nearly invisible as the current form was. As Faruzia looked this new form it finally dawned on her that she had seen this before, but only as a child. It was then she realized what was before her, the banished demon that took her parents. A dreadlord.

Celesa’s voice now boomed to match her size. “Yes, look hard at me now. Your parents did not fail in their banishment of this demon. Their only failure was where it was sent. I fought long and hard to prevent this thing from taking me and I won. My body however, could not handle the power left behind and with the only escape available; I took control of the dead demon taking its power. That came at a cost though, my body did die, but so long as I remained part of the demon it stayed preserved. I could not fully contain the demons power while in my body and some of that power showed itself as an invisible form which I could control. As the last surviving member of those hunters and as one the thirteen, I should thank you the only way I know how.”

Extending one hand, a ball of energy had formed and within the ball a small spark of fire formed. Faruzia started to back away as she recognized the spell that killed the two elves. As the ball of ice formed in the attack, it circled the fire. The spell was then fused with an aura of shadow and grew large in her hand before launching it at Faruzia.

In a panic Pipyap, Faruzias imp leapt off of her shoulder. “Yeah, not stinkin’ around for this, see ya!” he said in a puff of smoke. Faruzia stood in place frozen in fear as the spell came towards her. The size of the spell prevented her any chance of escape and she could only watch as it came closer to her.

Just as the attack was about to hit her, Zangkresh her voidwalker moved to intercept the attack and took the blast head on. Fighting as much as he could, the spell had been stopped, but the effects could be seen on the voidwalker. Though the spell was stopped, the strength of it damaged him so much he could barely keep his form as he faded in and out of existence.

Celesa stood surprised. “Well that was unexpected. So shadow can stop one of these attacks. I’ll have to make a note of that for the future. Well, I suppose I’ll have to up the ante.” She said charging the spell again, one in each hand.

Seeing this the voidwalker clenched its fists adding power to his form. Turning, he looked at Faruzia and tried to speak.

“S-s-sac-ri-fice…” It tried to say.

Faruzia looking at Zengkresh couldn’t believe what she heard. “No, I-I can’t do that, not to you.”

The voidwalkers face twisted into a sterner face and his voice was angrier. “Sac-rri-Fice!” he said again as Celesa launched both spells. Again, the voidwalker attempted to take the attack. As he struggled to hold them, Faruzia could see behind the first two, a third spell was coming.

Struggling to hold his form Zengkresh turned to Faruzia again. “Sacrifice!” He screamed at her.

With tears in her eyes she looked at Zengkresh “Please father don’t ask this of me.”

Somehow he managed a smile through his fading strength. “I-I will a-always be here t-to protect.” He said as the spells began to overpower him.

Through her tears she reached out to her father and touched his face. “Please forgive me.” She said placing her other hand on Zengkresh. Focusing her power she cried out.

“ZENGKRESH! SACRIFICE!” She yelled as the spell caused Zengkresh to be reduced to a cloud of fel smoke which surrounded her as a shield. At the same time, the three spells he had held back stuck Faruzia. Though protected by the shield, the force of the spells threw her into the woods slamming her into a tree.

Unable to see her opponent, Celesa turned her attention to the remnants of the group. “Five down, three to go. I do hope you prove to be more fun than the others.” She said.

Wulfgrin slung his rifle over his back and pulled out his fist weapons. Turning to Kera, who was still tending to Rose, he placed a hand on her. “You had best leave her, we cannot fight her alone.”

Giving a sharp whistle, his wolves came to his side. Kera shielded herself in ice and called forth an elemental of water. Taking a last look back both moved forward leaving Rose behind with Dawnshadow standing beside her.

Standing in a field, a young Rose looked on with a puzzled expression on her face. The warm hand of her father tapped her on her shoulder.

“Have you learned yet what you are?” Marico said

With unsure eyes, Rose looked at her father “I-I don’t understand, what am I?”

Smiling, Marico looked on “Why my dear, you are fire and fire consumes everything it touches. It is always hungry and is never satisfied.”

“But if it is always hungry, what does it eat?” Rose asked

“Rage, rage is what feeds it.” He replied quietly.

Drip…Drip…

Rage? How can a fire know what rage is? A flame is just a thing, it cannot know hunger or have feelings, those are things we as people feel.” Little Rose said.

Marico sat silent for a moment, his eyes focused on the campfire he had built.

“This is true, fire itself cannot have these things, but we still respect it as though it were alive. If we fail to respect the flame it can hurt us or others. You have the ability to control fire, but without training and proper understanding of what you can do, you are just as wild as a nonliving, unfeeling flame. A flame only knows destruction and yearns to spread and consume everything it touches.”

“But I would never harm anyone.” Rose said defensively.

“No, I don’t think you would, but your emotions would fuel your powers and what you want and what actually happens will differ. Kera has told me about how your training came to an abrupt end the other day. Something about you setting her hair on fire?” Marico said with a slight smirk.

Roses face blushed at that. “It was only a little. She had to cut her hair short to make it look right again. If she hadn’t pushed me so hard I wouldn’t have been so mad.”

Drip…Drip…

“Ah, but there it is. You got mad and lost control of your abilities for a moment. Even if it was a small accident, you still caused harm. You are like this campfire here. We keep a ring of stone around it to prevent the flames from escaping to spread. Your emotions act the same as these stones, as long as the circle is intact, the flames can do no harm save for what we allow it to.”

Marico took a stick and removed several stones. “Taking a few stones away may seem as though nothing has changed and for a time that thought would be correct. However, given enough time…” He paused as the campfire shifted causing a log to roll outside of the fire ring. The flaming log rolled until it came to a small pile of leaves setting them on fire which slowly began to spread until Marico put the fire out.

Replacing the stones, he sat back down. “Had we not been here, this whole forest could have burnt down. A small flame can destroy everything it touches all because of a few misplaced stones.”

Drip…Drip…

“It’s so hard though. The way Kera teaches is so frustrating and hard it makes me mad. Why can’t you teach me?” Rose said kicking the ground softly.

“You know why. I’ve been so busy with the project I barely have time to visit home anymore. I also do not have the skills to train you and Kera has her academy training which she can use to help you. You have to become stronger than these stones, Kera may be strict, but it is to make you stronger and safer.”

Rose sat silent for a moment staring at the ground. “You said rage is what fuels the fire within me, what is rage?”

Marico paused before speaking. “Rage is an emotional point in one’s mind where anger is surpassed and all you feel is pure hate for whatever caused it to rise. Imagine stubbing your toe, all thoughts of reason has left your mind and all you focus on the sudden pain and nothing else. For a regular person this is normal. For someone like you it can be dangerous. All of your training and lessons of calm can be forgotten in an instant and like the missing stones in the fire ring, all of your power over flame escapes. Set free to be as destructive as it can.”

Drip…Drip…

“I don’t think I could ever be that angry no matter what Kera does.” Rose said

“Again I don’t think so either, but we must prepare for that moment. I will do what I can when I’m around and Kera will focus on honing your skills. In time, even stubbing your toe won’t bother you.” Marico said standing. Helping little Rose up, he turned to walk away.

“Now come, I feel a storm is coming and we do not want to get wet do we?”

Rose stopped and looked towards the sky noting there were no clouds anywhere.

“But, I don’t see any-“She said as two drops hit her face. Whipping them away as she looked at her hands seeing the drops were not drops of rain, but blood.

Unsure of what she was seeing, Rose looked up. “D-Daddy?” She said looking towards her father who was now far away walking into their home. Before she could move, the house exploded into flames. The heat and brightness where so intense it caused Rose to cover her eyes. Another explosion shook the ground knocking her down. All sound around her faded save for a phrase that started silent but was growing in strength.

“Rose, wake up! Rose, wake up! ROSE, WAKE UP!”

Opening her eyes quickly, the first thing she noticed was her vision was clouded and dark red. Whipping her eyes clear, Rose saw that her face was covered in blood and that she was nose to nose with Wulfgrins wolf Dawnshadow. The life in his eyes were long gone, but somehow he still stood.

Above the wolf, Rose could see a large shape coming down fast on top of the wolf. The impact of the blow caused Dawnshadows body to shake violently and again he still stood. It wasn’t until the second blow that Rose realized it was Celesa who was trying to stomp on Rose and Dawnshadow was protecting her from the blows.

Escaping from the blows, Rose finally stood and looked around the battlefield. She could not find many of her companions save for Wulfgrin who lay unconscious with both Meatbag and Darkpaw standing over him snarling.

Taking her focus from the wolves, Rose finally saw Celesa before her. She was no longer the small child they first saw when they came onto the field. Now she was in a massive demon form and in her hands was a struggling Kera.

“It is so good of you to finally wake up and join us.” Celesa said as she stopped attacking Dawnshadow.

“I was beginning to fear all of your friends would be dead before you could even see them suffer. I’ve saved the best for last though. The one whom I trusted to be by my side, who would be more understanding than anyone in what I’m doing, why I’m doing it, yet she would deny me.”

Holding Kera high in the air, Celesa held her tightly with one huge hand keeping Keras hands pinned in front of her.

“What should I do with her? She and the Dwarf put up a good fight, but fell as the others did. I could squeeze the life out of her; I could snap her neck like a twig. What would be fitting for our fair sister?”

Rose stood shaking before them. Deep inside she could feel something growing. It was warm, powerful, it felt wrong.

“Please, just let her go. I can’t do this anymore. I have only just found you both and this; this can’t be how we are can it? Everything is so backwards; I don’t know what to do.”

Before Celesa could respond, Kera spoke first, though each word caused her pain. “R-rose, with your mind as it is, you are innocent in this—“

Celesa squeezed harder at that. “Innocent? After all she has done, you call Her, innocent?”

As Celesa rambled on, Kera struggled to gain voice over her. “Rose! Listen to me. You Are innocent in this, but you must fight. She will kill us all and go on to harm others. You have to fight, you have to stop her. Let go of your feelings and FOCUS!”

Looking between her sisters, Rose backed slowly away. “I-I can’t. Please, let her go!” She pleaded again.

The look in Keras eyes were that of defeat. “Then I have no choice but to make you…”

After she spoke, what happened next was so fast even Celesa did not see it, but only felt it. In a rapidly flashing light that shined through Celesas hand that held Kera; half a dozen shards of ice broke through her hand slamming in several places in Celesas large demon body. Kera had launched the spells through her own body to attack the undefended Celesa.

Rearing back in pain, Celesa let go of Kera as she staggered back from the force of the attack. Kera fell to the ground lifeless before Rose. Rose stood trembling at the sight.

Like a match taking life for the first time since its creation, Rose ignited in a bright pillar of flame. Screaming from the intense pain, the flame grew in power and brightness. Bleeding heavily from the ice shards she had removed, Celesa shielded her eyes from the flame backing slowly from them. The emotions that poured from Rose were like nothing she had ever felt before, even stronger than the night of the fire that started this all.

The screams slowly stopped as the flames began to die away. When they had all but vanished, there stood Rose. Calm, collected and her whole posture seemed different. It was as though someone else was now standing there.

Rose looked at her hands and stood staring at them as she opened and closed them. It was as though she was looking at an old friend whom she had not seen in a long time. A smile slowly spread across her lips as she looked up at Celesa.

“Finally, the priests’ wall is broken and now I can have some fun.” She said vanishing into nothing only to reappear in front of Celesa. Celesa, looking down to Rose met her eyes and tried to look into them. There was a darkness there she had never seen before. A maddening bloodlust filled those eyes.

Looking up at the massive form, Rose smiled again. “I thought you would be happy to see me, the true me. After all, you have been pushing for this from the very beginning and despite your efforts to put me away, here I am. Once I’m done with you…” She started to say as flames began to pour from her eyes.

“…I’m going to set the world on fire.”

((Part 14))

It’s a sight any parent would enjoy seeing from afar. Two of their children playing carelessly and with joy in their hearts. It’s a feeling that warms the heart knowing that through love they created this. It is a sight he would see many times at their young age, but as they grew such moments faded into nothing.

They use to be the best of friends, the two of them. Playing games of tag, hide and seek or various other games he couldn’t comprehend and that only children of their age would understand. They had to be friends, more than sisters especially when Kera wasn’t around. Then Celesa began developing her powers early and he had noticed Rose drifting away from Celesa. As the experiments began, they slowly drifted apart even more for unknown reasons. They lived in the same house, played in the same yard, but rarely together like before. It was almost as if she felt offended by the attention her little sister had gotten. He had never thought anything would happen.

Then the night of the fire changed everything.

She claimed she had no idea what had happened. She said she didn’t even know it was her that began the fire. All this time he couldn’t look at her, she had to be lying. Leaving her at the orphanage was the only option. She would be safe there and away from him.

And now, to see them all again as they were, fighting, killing each other, he could only dream of the times when they played in the fields of their home. Kera lay dying on the ground while Celesa and Rose continued to fight. There was nothing he could do from where he stood. He still could not bear to look at Rose and the only one left he cared about was losing her fight with her sister. The fights with the others had taken its toll on her and it was beginning to show.

Another flurry of fire spells raced across the field, missing their intended target and striking near where he sat hidden. The light from the explosions slightly revealing his form, but no one would notice him.

Marico slipped silently back into the shadows and waited for the end to come.

Wulfgrin began to stir as smoke from the battle began to thicken the air. Seeing their master moving once again, the wolves pawed and licked him until at last he pushed them away. Slowly sitting up he surveyed the surrounding area and saw the body of Dawnshadow which made him curse. In the distance he could see Rose and Celesa were locked in combat, but Rose seemed to be pushing her younger sister. Rose herself looked and acted differently as he watched her movements. She seemed to be enjoying the fight.

This was not the person he first met in Moonbrook. Then a feeling of dread overtook him. This must be what she was like before the seal. At that thought, he looked for Kera after realizing she was not in the fight. After a moment he was able to locate the still form of Kera lying face down in the ground. Taking care not to draw attention, Wulfgrin made his way over to the fallen sister as the wolves continued to stand watch. Coming to her side, he gently rolled her on her back taking great care not to cause further damage. Looking her over he could see her wounds were beyond repair even with the aid of healing magic. Lowering his head he closed his eyes and began to say a prayer in his Dwarven tongue. As he did so, he felt a light tug on his arm causing him to open his eyes to see a conscience Kera before him.

“And here, just hours ago you tried to kill me and now you’re praying?” Kera said managing a slight smile.

Smiling back Wulfgrin gently held her hand. “It’s just seemed the right thing to do. You need to save your strength.”

“My strength is all but gone, but I have enough for now. Where is Rose?” She said trying to look around, but is stopped by the shocks of pain.

“I don’t know what happened, but she is unleashing the fires of hell on your youngest.” He said in a semi relieved tone looking towards the fight.

Grabbing harder with what strength she had, she pulled on Wulfgrins arm causing him to look back down.

“We need to stop her before she kills Celesa! I had hoped my act would not push her over the edge, but I failed.” Kera said

“Why? Celesa is weakened from everyone she has fought and given time, Rose will finish the job. We should be thankful.” Wulfgrin said.

“Who is she going to go after when she is done? Wulf, I told you what she was before Moonbrook, she is a killer with no remorse or guilt. She attempted to assault a school with children in it! Whatever that priest did to stop her was a gift to us. She is a monster far worse than Celesa and she at least had a reason. The horrors Rose caused, she did so without reason or care. We cannot allow her to leave here as she is.”

Wulfgrin looked out towards the fight again. Taking a moment to think he said softly. “What do we do?”

Taking her hand off of Wulfgrin, Kera reached into her pocket ignoring the pain it caused. Withdrawing the hand, she held a small needle. “Here, take this. I had this prepared for when I found Rose, but this was before I learned of her condition while with you. It will be enough to knock her out for a few days, but in her current state I don’t know how long it will last. It should last long enough to for you to get her some place and contain her.”

Taking the needle, he held it up examining it. “And how exactly am I supposed to get near her to use it? Celesa is far faster than I am and even she is having a hard time out pacing her.”

“I don’t know, but you have to use the whole vial for it to last as long as it can.” Kera said.

Wulfgrin sighed staring at the needle. “I’ll do what I can, you stay and rest.” He said as he stood.

Before he could turn, he felt a presence suddenly at his side. Even as heard the cries of warning from the wolves he could feel a slight touch pressing the side of his head.

“Flick.” Celesa said quietly as she launched Wulfgrin away with a blow to the head causing him to drop the needle.

Picking it up, Celesa smiled as she stared at Kera. “Thanks for this sis’, trust me, I’ll make sure she gets the whole vial and maybe a little something else.” She said vanishing again.

((Part 15))

I’m going to tell you a story while we wait for the final outcome. I imagine you think by now you know it, but I assure you, from another perspective it is quite different. What you know has been told to you from those who were not there. I will tell you because I was there.

Anyone with siblings knows how they treat each other. We were no different Kera and I. We’d play, tease and do everything together. Our parents watched with care, always determined to see that we were happy. Kera grew older and eventually went to the academy leaving me to play our games alone. For a time that loneliness hurt me inside, but I still had the love of our parents. Kera would visit from time to time and show me what she learned, dazzling me with her powers over ice. Around this time I learned I had a connection to fire, but my control was lacking. Father did his best to teach me and Kera as well when she could, but I needed time to learn.

Then you were born my dear Celesa.

In the beginning I was happy, I truly was. Here was a baby sister I could play with and mentor as Kera had done for me. Again it would take time, but in that time I began to notice things changing. The love and attention that our parents had given me was now focused on you. I suppose it was only natural that I would show some jealousy towards that, but then I could push that aside for the love I had for you.

When you reached the age of three, it was as things were when it was Kera and I. We played games, teased and could not be separated. One of our favorite games back then was hide and seek. You were ever so good at it much like now. Through the games we played our bond grew, the rivalry I had felt at your birth began to fade. During this time father left to begin working on the experiments and Kera’s studies kept her away longer. I imagine you know the rest from this point. The experiment began and Kera and I were chosen to take part in it. Kera gained the ability to cast her spells faster while nothing changed in me. At least not in a way they had thought it would.

I did not gain in power or have a physical change like the others. No, my change was mentally. At first I noticed nothing, but a feeling slowly crept in the back of my mind. It wasn’t until one particular day that that feeling finally took shape. It was the day your powers came to be. You could control all three schools of magic and with ease at that. You did this while I could barely control one. Father took a great interest in you and that old feeling I had buried through love of you bubbled over once again.

Jealousy is a curious feeling. Slightly dangerous alone, but alone can be managed with the right care. Imagine though if something powerful stripped away all emotion save for the two strongest that in one particular moment, one perfect moment, dominated the rest. The experiment did not change me in the way They wanted. It changed me when I wanted it. You were my focus during the experiment. I had anger inside me when our parents ignored me. I had jealousy when you took that attention away. Whatever the experiment was supposed to do all it did to me was amplify those emotions. The two together can be quite dangerous.

Everything from that point on was focused on my hatred for you and I seethed at every moment you drew breath. They night you were sick and battling the demon inside I saw my chance to rid myself of you. I was never angry when I saw mother pounding on your chest. I knew what she was doing and I had to stop her. I set the house on fire to kill you. Mother could have gotten out, but chose to try and shield you and that only made my anger rise. When you and mother had died, I felt satisfied, but that moment of calm quickly turned into an emptiness I had never felt before. My reason for all the anger and jealousy was gone and nothing was left to fill the void. Father in his misguided attempt to forget about me actually helped me fill that void. Leaving me in the care of the orphanage gave me another focus. The caretaker showing so much love for the others I sat alone watching them all with such hate.

No one seemed to care much when several children began to go missing. I took my time with them. I had no teachers to show me how to handle my skills so I had to learn them myself. While I tested my skills on them I noticed one thing through their screams. I felt Nothing. No joy, no regrets, killing them brought me little if anything to ease my anger slightly. Do you know what nothingness feels like? To only have anger and jealousy as a means to feel alive? This went on for years and the caretakers took the missing as runaways never to return.

On my eighteenth birthday I was set loose from the orphanage and left to wander the streets of Stormwind alone. I thought I would lose my mind with no way to release the anger building inside. Then salvation came in the form of a rebellion. The Stonemasons had rebelled and I followed in their wake. They would eventually form the group called The Defias and life was good from that point on.

I’m sure you’ve heard the stories of the horrors they brought to the surrounding farmlands. And from there we come full circle and here we end that void. The Priest may have found a way to set me aside but he could never lock away the anger. You could have left it alone and I would still be that weak shell of a person, but no, you had to push so hard and now you see what you are to face.

Come out little sister and face me. Help me fill the void once again.

1 Like

((Part 16))

Wulfgrin emerged from the brush he was thrown into when Celesa attacked him. Cursing at himself for losing the vial he searched the area to see what if anything was unfolding on the battlefield. The only person he could see in the field was Rose who seemed to just be talking to no one. He assumed Celesa went into hiding given the calm in the air. He tried hard to see if he could locate Celesa but wherever she was it was a good hiding spot. Despite her strength and speed she was no match for Rose in her weakened state so she must be looking for an opening. One Rose was not giving.

Wulfgrin smiled grimly and he realized what he had to do now. “The lesser of two evils is it now? I suppose I should take a closer look at what I’m paying for.”

Letting out a light whistle he called his wolves to him. Stalking quietly, Meatbag and Darkpaw both emerged from the woods. Dawnshadow, who had died due to his injuries protecting Rose, could not answer. Gently patting the wolves, Wulfgrin looked to where Rose was and hesitated. Quietly he loaded his rifle, slinging it on his back when done. Standing again, he began to walk out into the open with the wolves following closely.

“Come out little sister and face me. Help me fill the void once again.” Rose said as movement to her right caught her attention. Slightly annoyed that it wasn’t Celesa who answered her call, she smirked at the Dwarf approaching her now.

“Don’t tell me you are going to try and do something heroic or perhaps give some inspiring speech. I’m not particularly in the mood for short pep talks from some would be wise old Dwarf.” She said. He still came forward without speaking and then Rose noticed he was arming himself with his fist weapons. At the sight of that she laughed.

“Really? You couldn’t take my sister and you couldn’t take me at my weakest. What good are you now?” She said taking her full attention to him now.

Rose could see that he was indeed speaking but not to her and then she remembered the fight in Sarkens tower. She quickly began to channel a fireball, but she could see the spell he spoke was complete and all three exploded into action. Alone Wulfgrin was nothing, but with that spell he And the wolves had their power and speed increased and fighting all three would be a problem. Kera at least had her frost to slow down the wolves, something Rose did not have mastery over.

Rose completed a series of spells that ignited the field around her. Her aim did not need to be perfect, just enough to keep them moving. She moved as they did, trying to match them move for move, but keeping track of all three was taking its toll. The wolves dashed back and forth striking any chance they got. Claw tore through her robes while teeth bit into her legs and arms. The moment they bit into her, flames would wash over her driving them away. In the midst of the frenzy, Wulfgrin would charge in and slash as much as he could, leaping out whenever she tried to burn him.

This went on for a time as both sides landed blows and gained and lost ground. Try as he might, Wulfgrin could not drive in a crippling blow and worse, the spell was beginning to fade and Rose knew it. She had stalled long enough to regain the advantage and she began to strike back more furious than ever.

The speed, the power, was gone and with it any hope of victory. The wolves struck again and again only to be cast down only this time they could not recover. Darkpaw was the first to fall. He latched hard onto the right leg of Rose and she let him hang on as she set him ablaze. Howling in terror he let go and ran for the safety of the woods. He would fall a hundred yards from it. Wulfgrin fell next, crippled by a blast to his legs. Trying to stand he could only fall again. The white wolf Meatbag gave up on his attack and went to protect his master. Rose walked over to Wulfgrin, limping slightly from the bite wound from Darkpaw. Standing over him she stared down at him with a furious glare. Raising her arm she began a slow building fire spell that crept down her arm gathering strength as it reached her hand. She held it there for a moment.

“What did you hope to accomplish here? Death was the only outcome in this matchup and it sure as hell wasn’t going to be me.”

Wulfgrin sat up placing an arm around the wolf to steady himself. He could see it coming and he just smiled. “Time my dear, time is all I wanted.”

She felt it at the last second, that presence she had been looking for before Wulfgrin came out. Turning in time she saw the flash of a needle in the hands of Celesa as she leapt from the shadows in an attempt to strike at Rose. Before the blow was struck, Rose managed to teleport away as Celesa landed. Reappearing a short distance later, Rose began to turn to confront her sister again only to be met by a large explosion from the ground. The force of the blast knocking her back and before she could react, half of her body was encased in ice.

Wulfgrin chuckled softly wincing in pain as he stood again. “Timing, preparation and distraction, all fine things when put together. Hunters aren’t only known for pets and guns, we do love our traps.” He said as Celesa once again launched herself towards her trapped sister.

Celesa grabbed hold of Rose so she could not break free as she drove the needle deep into her neck. Panicking, Rose struggled to break free, doing anything to get her sister off. Flames erupted all around her and in a moment of focus, Rose looked right into the eyes of Celesa.

Celesa could see an image forming above Roses head and at the same time her throat began to glow bright red. She looked above Rose again and the image was clear now, a dragons head had formed and Rose opened her mouth to let out the dragons breath that had built in her throat. Screaming in immense pain as the flame washed over her.

Seeing the death struggle taking place, Wulfgrin drew his rifle and aimed at Rose. Hesitating for a moment, he closed his eyes as he fired. Striking Rose in the back, a second needle unleashed its toxins into Rose causing her to end her spell. This shot, a special mix, was made to prevent a target from creating spells. A silencing shot, one which was meant for Celesa.

Rose fell over as both needles took effect. Celesa lay where she fell, barely moving, but breathing. Wulfgrin used what strength he had left to go over to the fallen sisters. Before he could reach them, he suddenly saw Celesa grab hold of Roses head.

“All that lack of regret and remorse or any kind of emotion you should have had when you killed I will give back to you, but I will give you more. I will give you Everything you should have felt when you killed those people, when you killed mother. You will feel all of that pain at once and it will be a constant pain that you will feel the rest of your filthy life. All of their pain, all of their sorrow is now yours to bear and the only release is more pain that you yourself must endure. That is the punishment I give you.” She said as she began to speak in words Wulfgrin could not understand.

Finishing, Celesa collapsed again as Wulfgrin came and sat beside her.

“It is over; the curse I placed on her will come in waves. She will feel unimaginable pain from it and it will not stop until she inflicts physical pain on herself. In addition to that deserving curse I put the spell back that the priest had partially placed. I never should have sent him in without knowing what she would do. It will be four times stronger than before.” She said looking towards Wulfgrin who sat staring out into the field with his rifle across his lap aiming at her. Seeing this she looked skyward smiling a painful smile.

“It would seem that I was the hero after all.” She said.

Wulfgrin looked down at her shaking his head slowly. ”No, no dear. You were just another one of my failed experiments.” He said quietly as he cocked the rifle.

Taking a moment to let what he said sink in, Celesa began to laugh as her hand slightly glowed of arcane magic.

Before she could do anything…

…Wulfgrin pulled the trigger.

((Part 17, Final))

When Rose awoke she had no idea what had happened. The last thing she remembered was seeing Kera fall and then nothing. She stood to look for the others, wincing in pain as her head and heart felt like they were being hammered. She saw Faruzia sitting on the ground with a distant stare as her imp kept trying to get her attention. Then she saw Denava, sobbing as she cradled her brother.

Watching the scene she could almost feel her pain. As she thought that, Rose began to notice that she was indeed feeling an increasing pain. Then, without warning, a flood of emotion filled her mind. She fell to her knees as hundreds of images flashed in her head. Faces and feelings of people she could not remember, but was somehow forcing their presence on her now. Then as fast as the pain had arrived, it had suddenly stopped.

As her thoughts cleared she saw Wulfgrin standing next to her with a bloodied knife and then she felt the throbbing pain in her leg where he had slashed her.

“A last gift from your sister. I can’t explain for now but know if you feel your head cracking again, use this.” He said handing her the knife.

“Now get up, we have to hurry. Kera wants to see you.” He said helping her up.

Unsure of what was going on, Rose followed Wulfgirn to where Kera lay. Looking over her she could see the wound she had were beyond healing. She was dying.

Seeing Rose before her, Kera raised an arm reaching out to her. Seeing this, Rose knelt down and took her sisters hand.

“I know you have questions, they will come in time, but for now listen to me.” Kera said gripping her sister’s hand tighter.

“You are new once again. You are not the monster people may claim you to be. That person is dead and you have a fresh start. You will still have demons that will follow you, haunt you and remind you of what you were. Do not listen to them, you are better than that. You have a great power, one that can be used for good. Promise me you will use it to protect the innocent. Defend those who cannot defend themselves. You must do this to silence those demons. You will be in pain, which is the burden you must carry. Do this for me; bring the name Grenwall back into the light. Promise me.” She said looking deep into Roses eyes.

Rose remained silent, unsure how to answer. “I-I” was all she could manage.

Angered by the silence, Kera pulled Rose closer. “Promise me!”

Surprised by the sudden strength Rose answered. “I will, I promise I will do everything I can to protect those around me.”

Kera smiled closing her eyes as she left her hand fall to the ground breathing her last.

Hours passed as the survivors buried the fallen. Barely a word was spoken between them as they worked. Once finished they stood in silence for a time before beginning to pack their horses.

Faruzia was first to leave, ignoring the payment Wulfgrin had offered her. She just shook her head and urged her mount forward.

Denava was next to leave. Stopping by her brother’s grave, she retrieved her brother’s greatsword and carried it on her back along with her father’s blade. She asked for forgiveness in not joining Rose and Wulfgrin as she has her own promise to keep. Leaving the two behind, she headed towards Westfall.

Wulfgrin and Rose were the last to leave pausing for a moment at the grave of Kera before moving on.

After all had left there was silence over the field. A stillness that seemed out of place considering the battle that taken place earlier.

Seeing no one around, Marico emerged out of the shadows and moved quietly to where his daughters were buried. He stared at the graves letting the anger slowly eat at him. Rose once again had lived and again took away that which he loved.

“I will never forgive you for bringing this destruction to our family. I do not care what promises you made here, you cannot change what you are, monster. When the time comes, I will end you.” He said as he walked silently back into the woods, shifting into the form of a wolf before vanishing into the night.

((This is kind of an afterthought on the remaining characters. Each character in this store is a character I either currently play or had played at some time. Save for Wulfgrin, all have much of their backstory added to this so I wouldn’t need multiple stories. Wulfgrin I did plan on writing more about or giving an origin for him, but to be honest, I’m not cut out for big stories like this. If I do continue this story I may just add his in like the others. Also wanted to add in a “where are they now” kind of thing as this origin takes place 15 years ago. Also, much of this story came from experiences I had while leveling Rose. First time in Moonbrook, first Stockades run, learning frost nova and blink in Duskwood etc. Any who, the remaining characters…

Rose: Months had passed in constant pain because of the curse and she did what Wulf had told her and began hurting herself to relieve the pain when it overtook her. In her travels she came across many heroes that would inspire her to act on her promise to Kera. Ehlina of the Sisters of Mercy, Tery and Gentyl of Pia Presidium and Turncutt of the Tenth Legion and many others who defended Alliance lands. Through them she had found her calling as well as a way to release her pain. Currently, with the war over and the need for defenders no longer needed, the curse begins to bring pain that cannot be tamed. She is now driven to find a way to remove the curse and the seal, but fears what would happen if she is successful.

Wulfgrin: After the battle, Wulfgrin kept his promise and watched over Rose and mentored her the best he could. Believing his secrets are safe, he gave up on his experiments to go down a different path. Trying his best to keep her safe and keep her inline whenever she bordered on a darker path (something he did fail at on one occasion). ((Currently have no plans for him unless I move forward with the story))

Faruzia: After the battle she was able to revive her father in his voidwalker form. With both of her parents souls trapped in demon bodies, she continues to work on a way to either retrieve them from the banishment spell they cast or release their souls so they can die in peace.

Denava: Keeping her promise to Lorix, she returned to Westfall in search for the family that helped him. Her search led her to the mines of the now fallen town of Moonbrook. Leading a small team of militia she is able to liberate many of the people forced to work the mines. Of the people saved, she had found the boy her brother had spoken of, but was saddened to learn his mother had died in the mines a month before. With no home to go to or family to take him, the boy would have gone to the orphanage. In honor of her brother, Denava adopted the boy and began to raise him as her own. ((Not much after that, possible future warrior))

Sheknee: After leaving the battle, he began plotting ways to cause harm to Rose in the future. However, the moment both Protius and Celesa died, the power that brought him back also left him and death crept back to him. The resurrection did heal his wounds, but without either the priest or what power Celesa gave him, he was left in a weakened state. His travels for power and strength took him to Northrend where he is attacked by feral worgen. Unable to fight them off, his body is ripped and torn to shreds. Left once again for dead, he slipped into a deep sleep until he heard the calling of the Lich King whose minions had collected his body and brought him back as a death knight. Currently still plotting evil things and searches for a journal thought to have been lost by Sarken.

Marico: Keeping true to his word, Marico stalked Rose for years looking for ways to get his revenge for the loss of his family. He had attempted to learn the ways of a shaman through the Draenei, but they would not teach a human their ways. In order to overcome this, he obtained an Orb of Deception and took on the guise of a Draenei. During his training however, the orb was accidently shattered trapping him in his Draenei form. Not having that issue slow him down he continued his training. Taking the form of a spirit wolf he would gain Roses trust by pretending to be the spirit of Dawnshadow and followed her closely for years. Revealing himself sometime later, he forces Rose to be his weapon on missions against the Horde knowing it went against everything she had worked towards as a defender. Seeing her in constant pain brought him some joy, though he had noticed how much she had struggled to continue doing what she had promised no matter how much pain she endured. In the aftermath of an escort mission where she had failed to protect a priest by the name of Faithe (an actual event that took place); Marico actually began to feel compassion as he looked at the broken body of his last daughter. Currently still trying to reconnect with Rose though after everything that is rather difficult. With the Kul Tirans able to be shamans, Marico may have a race change coming up if I really want to put money down on that heh.

And that is all of it. Right now it is up in the air if I continue this. The next xpac seems to have a lot dealing with kind of heaven and hell or dealing with sins or whatnot and would be perfect to add more to this story. However, it is looking more and more like I will need a whole new computer in order to play it. The changes and minor upgrades I’ve done have done nothing to improve my gameplay and right now much of the game runs like I was still on dial-up. We’ll see what happens. Hope those that took the time to read this enjoyed it and hopefully one day I can get back into writing something. Won’t be as big as this though, I’m not cut out for big stories heh.))

1 Like

((Thank you for sharing. I enjoyed reading this origin story.))