Opinion: You don't need to read/watch a guide before doing a normal dungeon

I’m going to say this op,you have not done enough dungeons and raids to even say you don’t need to review a dungeon to set foot in one. Each expansion is different the mechanics are not the same just blindly stepping into one is not a good option. Your last one was in 2016 .

1 Like

2016? That was… 1… 2… 3… Ok chums let’s do this… LEEROY JENKINS!!!

1 Like

Omg,LOL die dramatically! WEeee…

1 Like

Sometimes… you just gotta go for it…

1 Like

So, my last serious raiding in WoW was WoD. I did a tiny bit in Legion. I did quite a few Mythics in BFA. And, aside from that, I also have played quite a bit of FFXIV, doing Savages and Extremes (approximate equivalent to Heroic Raids, I guess). So, I don’t think I’m coming at this topic as a complete outsider or anything.

That said, 1) Where did you get the 2016 date from? And more importantly 2) My whole point is that I don’t think you need any qualifications to do normal content, so I think what content I have done / when is irrelevant.

Also, “You have not done enough dungeons and raids” is a very gatekeepery thing to say.

1 Like

Looking at you profile.It public info . So you said you did but it’s not there in you achieves which is shared by all your characters. So basically ,you are trolling.

i do because i am the healer and i’m not one to go in blind and cause a wipe and get harassed and kick or whatever. i also just like to know what to look out for.

…Why is it not good to play video games blind exactly?.. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I mean if say for example in my experience, instead of starting Dying Light 1 fresh slate, knowing nothing about the game other then what i seen from reviews, i just go ahead and look up guides like… “How to grind out XP fast per min”, “How to get the best weapons at the start”, “How to get the best build”, etc… Would i even love it the same, if that’s something i had to do in order to start playing? Or Remnant: From the Ashes?

Yes, fun is subjective and all… But i don’t think that reading guides on how to play the game before you start playing should be the default experience of… when you start playing the game.

1 Like

tell that to my 5 hours in vault of incarnates yesterday and only killing three bosses. 10 wipes on daetha , like 5 wipes on council, we unbelievably one shotted the first boss lol.

i left at daetha

If in a guild, or a group of friends, I recommend not looking up the fight strat.

But in this game, in PUG’s, you should at least have an idea of what each boss does so you can know what killed you so you can respond.

Just dying and not understanding why does no one any good.

2 Likes

Ah, that makes sense. Well, I guess that feature is problematic if you have more than one BattleNet accounts (like I do). I don’t think that’s too uncommon, btw.

Oh, I think it is! I love going into games not knowing what to expect!

However, there’s a broad difference between going into something blind alone, and going into something blind with a group who also depend on you. Your enjoyment of going into more difficult content blind can come at the cost of everyone else. That was my point.

If you’re doing raids or M+, there’s an expectation that you should know, at least on some level, what you’re doing.

I go through as Dps first, usually my warlock or hunter and memorize the fights, THEN after i am satisfied i have the flow of the dungeon, I use my tanks and that way I don’t lose the element of discovery.

1 Like

Agreed. Mythic is where you should know the main points before hand.

For raiding, it’s rude not to know mechanics in normal however.

I don’t know when the “go watch videos and study before playing” crap started but I have just ignored it. I don’t even use DBM or any addon of it’s type.

I want to play my way, sadly as a tank the occasional death to a mechanic I didn’t know about gets some major kiddy-rage from some rogue or hunter but, you know… thats the community of WoW.
WoW kiddos are Toxic in general everyone thinks they are the best at everything and funny enough 95% of the time is DPS complaining at heals/tanks when they have never touched one and have no idea how much more work we do.

If I can learn a new fight in a death or two IMO that’s reasonable for a new raid. The aversion to death and this elitist perfectionist crowd needs to stop diving into pugs… then again I am betting the adult guilds can’t stand them so shrug we are just stuck with it.

#thanksbllizforthecross-serverphasinginstantquetrashfestwherenobodyhastobenicetoprogress

2 Likes

I came back the end of Shadowlands so I knew no fights. I learned with DBM I actually don’t need to know anything.

Sure, first pull I may die if i have to do something specific. But for the basic , get out of fire, taunt, swap targets, etc, it’s so easy.

My personal experience has been that if I watch a simple video on the instance I do better. If I am unfamiliar with an instance, my first run or two is very ‘noisy’ and difficult to navigate.

I also do not want to be the person who slows down the group.

You see in the mad rush go go mentality we have today you have to at least review the strats of the mobs and boss use or you maybe wiping even at the start <not a good feel and embarrassing to say the least .You do want a smooth as possible run as possible for your group .

I refuse to look up anything the first few runs. It is insane that this is standard. Even for Raids. It is the equivalent of reading a book backwards. I hold nothing against those who do, but I will never understand the reasoning, or agree with it.

After the first few times, sure, I get it.

Bah, I thought this was your build code. I pasted it in and now my build is just… sarcastic… I don’t like it.