Opinion: What is Considered Bad Behavior in Today's Society?

canceled, you literal murderer.

2 Likes

It’s just garlic, grow a thicker nasal cavity…

2 Likes

so i can put the clove inside?

2 Likes

This comment and similar ones always remind me that currently there are a large bunch of people that need to be sent to GTMO. Too bad I don’t have the power to do so.

I tried being a people-pleaser before, and it’s exhausting. Just be yourself, respect the cultural environment you’re in, find the people that you vibe with, but don’t harm others.

You don’t have to like everyone. And not everyone has to like you. Be comfortable with that.

I found my own self-respect in knowing that being ‘you’ means stepping on some people’s toes simply from how you express yourself. Most of the time it’s a matter of incompatibility, but sometimes it is good to be challenged, and to expand your knowledge because there can be cases where what you perceive as normal is actually not okay to others, and it’s good to question that to figure out whether it’s actually harmful, or a matter of cultural or language context.

After all, we grow by being uncomfortable.

But if it turns into an ego-battle, then learn how to identify that and not waste your energy.

4 Likes

Being non-white or gay/trans at certain times (or even now in some instances) gets you physically cancelled. Cry me a river.

4 Likes

Yea but some rando on twitter said they hate white people

CLEARLY the same thing

3 Likes

For me the bar is “common decency”, which is just some indication that the person in question has put a modicum of thought into what they say, taking into the account the bubble they live within (everybody has a bubble to some degree) and that the things that are acceptable within their circles aren’t necessarily acceptable in those of anybody else. Basically, just don’t make assumptions about the norms of the world beyond your bubble and you’re mostly good.

Part of being a functional well rounded adult is disconnecting one’s mouth from their lizard brain so their words aren’t a product of impulse so I don’t think this is too great of an ask.

3 Likes

I blame Johnny Knoxville.

2 Likes

Not really. Not in my experience. Treat others as you would have them treat you. If they’re jerks, that’s their problem. Don’t make it yours. Ignore them. Walk away. You honestly don’t have to engage in tit for tat cruddy behavior.

3 Likes

You find out when you get banned for it like the rest of us.

2 Likes

smacks self I totally forgot white Christian men were clearly the oppressed demographic. Silly me, I hope they forgive my ignorance.

/s

6 Likes

Interesting

Interesting

So, because two opposing opinions toward one another, and because each “side” takes a stance, and it is not agreeable, is it bad behavior?

I am of mixed race, straight, old, conservative and middle-class. To someone, somewhere, any of these things could be a separator, a dividing factor. Do any of these qualities make me inherently bad?

8 Likes

Existing is not bad behavior, but acting like you are an oppressed class because of someone’s words is ignorance I am not going to let slide.

9 Likes

Nobody is born bad, your race/gender/orientation doesn’t make anyone bad

Their horrible opinions is what do

6 Likes

Exactly.

More to the point, the ACTIONS that come along with the opinions.

1 Like

Yea I’ll give that

Someone who acts on those opinions is noticeably worse than someone who merely has them

But having them doesn’t make you innocent since you’ll help spread it around

1 Like

Yeah, that is precisely what my answer in this thread was.

People have always been, and probably will always be, terrible to one another whenever circumstances allow them to be so with no fear of repercussion. Look at pretty much the entire history of the human race since we came out of the oceans (a bad move) if you need proof. And yeah, I’m as guilty of this as (almost) anyone, I’ll admit it.

The internet is pretty much a consequence-free environment for the most part and so festers this type of toxicity. It’s a good thing that it is impossible to do physical violence to another person over the internet.

The only thing any of us can do is to try to be the best person we can be, and accept the fact that we cannot control the actions or beliefs of anyone else.

2 Likes