[Open World] Sharding vs Dynamic Respawn (Classic HC)

I’ve been trying out Classic Hardcore on the PTR, quite fun and it’s interesting to change on how you normally play WoW. One thing I’ve noticed is that Classic (at least the PTR) is that it’s utilizing Dynamic Respawn, aka that there has to be an X amount of mobs in a certain area. I understand that this is implemented so that people don’t have to wait for spawns as long but this has already during the PTR caused several deaths for me (and probably many others).

As an example, in Elwynn Forest, you get a quest to go inside the Fargodeep Mine and kill Goldtooth. However, there are times where mobs you kill inside the mine instantly respawn on you. This can happen several times in a row which often time kills you (as you’re out of resources).

While this mostly is an issue inside caves and other more closed-up areas, it still happens in the outside world as well.

I have no idea to the extent Sharding is used on Classic and while I understand that it ruins the feel of a new server launch, I’d argue that it’s more healthy here as you are just one bad dynamic respawn away from losing all progress you’ve made.

1 Like

As the role-players prepare their HC characters, we remind them frequently do not go into caves. We learned that in SoM very quickly, especially because we want to last a bit to get a chance to RP characters we built a backstory for. That and watch out for the UC elevators … and don’t fall off of TB.

But caves and mines… don’t go too deep in.
~Okwaho

1 Like