OOTL - Why are people hating on Covenants?

I don’t really care that much about them but i want my class/spec to stand alone without needing gimmicky abilities and alternate borrowed power systems just to feel whole.

6 Likes

The people who want to stick with a covenant are free to do so, unless of course they’re the ones who actually have commitment issues.

3 Likes

It’s an extremely convoluted system and you hardly know anything about the abilities and talents you’ll be learning when you lock yourself into your covenant.

Aesthetically, they’re awesome. But the power tied to it is just a mess.

5 Likes

Lol

“No U”

Nice argument.

In any case, it’s insignificant to everyone except the people competing in e-sports. I assume you are currently planning to go into a tournament, yes?

If not, it will never ever be consequential, I’ve grouped more with people that don’t care and have cleared the dungeon than people that care way too much and wipe multiple times.

With that in mind, the true minmaxing is not giving a crap and playing the VIDEOGAME.

2 Likes

Faction 6: WE’RE TIRED OF BORROWED POWER! HOW MANY TIMES MUST WE TELL YOU THIS?!? CLASSES AND SPECS SHOULD BE COMPLETE IN AND OF THEMSELVES AND NOT NEED RENTAL POWERS TO ACTUALLY FEEL VIABLE!

I… actually feel this one though. It was nice back when you class was your class, and that was that. I can understand why this is a concern. Thank you.

2 Likes

I mean, it’s the same argument as the noflyers

If you don’t want to fly, don’t fly. Why try and take flying away from people who want to? If it breaks your own immersion, don’t do it

6 Likes

That argument also ignores what it means if you choose to not fly in a world of flyers.

So what’s the solution? Don’t join anything till the first few weeks? Asking for a friend.

Not at all.

My contention is that there are all of these things tied together. It’s a package deal. Blizzard talked about it like a subclass, but it’s more than that. It’s choosing a subclass, and having that also decide what your base looks like, what weekly event you get, what your gear looks like, which quests you do, etc.

I could deal with choosing ALL the non-power stuff permanently, even tied together. But tying the abilities to it is a bridge too far.

Imagine wanting to do the quests to find out what happened with the Night Elf souls from Teldrassil but you can’t because you have to pick a different covenant for their ability, or you hamstring yourself in raids/PvP/M+.

7 Likes

I mean, you set it up as a personal attack for those who are against the current system. So don’t go throwing any rocks in that pretty little glass house you’ve got there.

9 Likes

Because progression means instant-gratification and having the best ability at all times. What is challenge to a progressive raider obsessed with only numbers?

You could put them in front of a calculator and they would not tell the difference between that and a Mythic Raid.

Because progression means becoming so robotic that every Mythic pull is choreographed to every step, DMB telling them what to expect, and the plethora of timers vomiting all over the screen.

What is this RPG these casual peasants keep talking about? WoW has always been a psuedo mobile game in the likes of Raid: Shadow Legends.

1 Like

Someone tell me when the 1% became the 50%.

2 Likes

I’m trying to figure that out myself. Toying around on the Beta, that seems like the best thing to do because of how much room for error there is with all the spec/conduit/covenant ability combinations. The likelihood of one getting either over nerfed or over buffed (think echoing void) is very high.

2 Likes

Is it weird that I picture people who say things like this to be senior citizens that are often standing in their front lawn yelling at clouds?

5 Likes

Where’s the lie?

First it was professions. Then it was racials. Then it was Legiondaries. Then it was Azerite. Then it was Corruption.

Covenants are the next expansions scape-goat for progressive raiders.

Why is it, considering WoW was designed from the very beginning aimed toward casuals, that I imagine people who pay $15 a month to work at a videogame to be adults driving children out of a McDonald’s ballpit.

1 Like

Serious question here why would I care about wow lore? We just saw a living avatar of a god get beat down by one sassy undead boy. We have seen night elves be raised as completely loyal to sylvanas without mind control because she is just so kewl. I will start caring about wow lore when the people in charge of it start caring. Until then yeah gameplay matters more.

5 Likes

Things casuals have also complained about alongside normal raiders, hardcore raiders, etc:

Legendaries
Azerite
Essences
Corruptions

and I’ve just never really seen anyone complain about racials

It’s almost as though the definition of casual is fluid and only your demographic of casual gets offended that someone is better at them at a video game and chooses to insult them for it.

WoW being “designed for casual” was relative to Everquest. By comparison, it was more casual.

But the game has evolved. I’m sorry you haven’t been able to keep up with the addition of mechanics over the years. Don’t take it out on me.

7 Likes

Better at what precisely? Figuring out which number has more value?

1 Like