O.o What happen on Khadgar? Madseasons Video

I worked events for years, and I would live in sheer terror of waking up to an email that amounted to “this whole thing is effed” so, my sympathies go out to that team working to fix this.

Everyone else, they’ll fix it, chill out.

9 Likes

Actually, as I understand it the problem is that it DIDNT merge, thus chaos ensured. The server merge was not completed successfully the first time around.

Almost feels like you try to merge 2 databases only to find its not merging but duplicating and all the backup systems try to do their best to reconcile the data mismatch and before the engineer notices the log scrolling past him he spills his coffee and yells OH &^#@!!

Holy run on sentence Batman!!

2 Likes

I thought this was another what happened “to” Khadgar thread since he’s been hiding in his library all of BFA. I need to stop skimming when reading apparently.

Yeppers, folks on Khadgar have got to be unhappy campers right now.

2 Likes

Lol! I thought the exact same thing! :slight_smile:

I love this totally reassuring, non-panic inducing message lmao. I feel for Blizz for having to deal with this obvious accident, but saying “it could take weeks” really doesn’t seems like a super poor choice of words.

Edit from Vrakthris: As I was responding to a specific user who used that timeframe I wanted to be honest and use the timeframes they stated. I don’t believe it will be weeks, likely a few days, but I can’t say for certain as I’m not familiar with the system or, you know, a system engineer or programmer. ~Vrakthris.

1 Like

The sign in front of the developer’s conference room is one never ending LUA error text. :joy:

1 Like

shudders
I too know this fear.
I hate those phone calls. That drop in your stomach as you try to remember every single commit and piece of code merged into prod before end of day.

Dark nights, man, those are dark nights.

3 Likes

To be honest, it’s better to not promise anything that the player base will hold them to. Even if it runs past launch date. This is a level 10.0 magnitude problem IMO that will have people doing overtime to asses and fix. This is the one issue we as a community need to give blizzard a break on and not rush it so they do it right.

Edit: grammar, big thumbs on phones are dumb

Cackling over level 89s in Mythic Nya gear. Greatest opportunity to twink IMO.

I imagine that the server (or many servers) will be unplayable for a LOOONG while.

3 Likes

No, I get it. I just didn’t think saying “it could take weeks” would really be an optimistic, calming response.

It’s definitely a crazy situation! And I hope they’re able to find out what’s up soon.

1 Like

:raising_hand_man:t2: …yep.

6 Likes

My guess khadgar the mage was busy.

He’s starting to get a bit crazy locking himself up in Karazhan! Needs to get some fresh air that’s not in Deadwind Pass.

1 Like

Diet Pepsi just nearly covered my laptop because SOOOO true!!!

2 Likes

This is why I’m quite happy to remain a front end/client dev forever. Damage can still be done, but it’s much more limited, and because of App Store/Play Store review times there’s no point to midnight calls.

1 Like

What a nightmare for the engineers to walk into. There will be backups, one hopes, and they will get it fixed.

Sadly, right now I am in Medical/Pharmacy and if I pass something that goes out and suddenly thousands of pharmacies can’t process things.

Ok. . I need to go lay down in the corner now thinking about it.

1 Like

Maybe the server shard crashed or they merged part of some old data. Imagine losing levels and achieves, mounts, toys, xmogs - thats alot of stuff to lose.

haha! I too am now a front end dev. Happy with accessibility testing and css whispering. No one calls you at 3am because their image doesn’t have the right margin.

And man, those delays in review from app and play stores can be a godsend sometimes.

2 Likes