Onyxia threat in Phase 3

Seems buggy as hell.

Some theories floating around my guild are if you get targeted by the fireball in mid air it wipes your threat completely.

Using a fire protection pot counts as healing threat for all the damage it absorbs.

Something is deff fxcky with the fight and it’s annoying.

When Ony is landing, 39 people pop a LIP. it counts as a bubble and temporary threat drop so the tank has spare time to get threat.

I just tell everyone with aggro to run north. Mages can ice block, Paladins zap people with BoP. A bunch of people die, and it hardly matters that they do.

LIP has pretty cool merits for when we split off and start farming her in groups of 20 for more loot, though. Can’t really afford to lose a ton of people that way.

My guild was also having this problem tonight. Eventually both tanks popped Recklessness and - after losing a couple DPS when she landed in phase 3 - they were able to picked her up. In previous weeks we were able to do phase 3 with very little difficulty with the same two tanks.

You would not be having this problem if your tanks are dual wield fury/prot. Better TPS and DPS with this build.

The fireballs definitely do something to aggro, it seems to me its just best to have 3 tanks spread out on the aggro table and she’s bound to pick one when she lands.

You need more DoTs during phase two.
More DoTs now.

That will do it

Just wanted to follow up with my experience…

We have our MT get a massive lead in phase 1, and stop all dots around 45% in phase 2 using single target attacks to bring her into phase 3 at 40%. Our MT can bust a full rage bar with no luck, most of the time a tank picks her up its an off tank who was way down on the threat meters.

Is something funky going on with the threat here? I can see a dps picking up aggro, but why is she constantly going to an OT who is way down on threat?

Just looking for solutions.

Pop every dps CD you got and DONT FORGET to switch to def stance before spamming Heroic Strike, when she comes to u start sundering while running back to the wall. If you your dps is smart and/or u got someone calling threat, nobody dies.

My guild is using LIPs in the p3 transition so she has to go to the tank.

I’ve always suspected it has something to do with her landing. I never got aggro in Vanilla, but my first kill in Classic had me as the closest to her landing point. I kept very low on threat on Phase 1, didn’t even help with whelps in Phase 2 (never got hit with a fireball), and all I did was use Berserker Rage to ignore the landing fear. I got stuck with aggro until I died.

I don’t believe her fireballs wipe threat, though, since she didn’t even CAST enough of them to hit every person above me on threat (about 14 people or so) during the entirety of phase 2. So, I think it may be tied to the fear and landing. Allegedly, our MT broke the fear, too, but there’s just no way I ever passed them on threat before the first transition completed. They picked it up immediately after I died.

Observations from a failed raid night on her.
-We had our Main tank go completely ham on her at landing, 2 full rage bars and nothing, went and flamed our entire ranged camp.
-The feral druid down the agro table “worked” after a few mage snacks. Still flamed our ranged group.
-Only “clean” pull we had was me earthshocking her in P2 because im not a muppet and know to be standing where shes going to be.
-The problem seems to be mages nuking the scales off her, 99% of the time they’re the ones getting threat with odd times it’s an OT or our feral or other person.

Edit: Fireball wipes threat, but I think she’s gotta be in the air first. (We had one attempt where she tossed out a fireball before she took off.) If you go to damage taken from Onyxia in your logs and look at fireball it’ll be the main tank 1 or 2 then other high threat targets. And with sticky threat it’s also possible a fury war was at like 105% of the main tank without drawing aggro but yah, fireballs go at top threat targets first then wipe their threat. This also means it’s safe for healers and hunters to clump up if you push P2 fast enough!

Also she will sometimes cast a fireball at someone 2-3 times before moving on, dunno if that’s a bug or intentional but yah.

OP:
I have video and logs that … I can’t figure out what she’s doing.

htt ps://www.warcraftlogs.c om/reports/1HDM48NXCzThmyWR/

So wipe 8 or whatever last one is she does a fireball at yangkuo, a fireball at drownball, lands, and then targets Ravi during the middle of a roar, then deathbypuppy , guacamole, jaka, humanmage, tjogarge, Christianity, luthienne (feral druid tank), goaraxe, humanmage, vanillaman, luthienne, christianity again for like 10 seconds, and then drownball right before he dies and at last, the main tank robotomhanks.

Ravi might have had it coming, but deathbypuppy in the log at least did NOTHING to her for like over a minute and she came for him second.

In the log drownball gets hit at 4:25 so that’s when she lands.

Oh and this is weird too…Deathbypuppy gets hit by a fireball at 2:25, which with my video is right BEFORE she even takes off!

And then if you go to damage done to Onyxia by Deathbypuppy from 2:18-4:25 he literally isn’t even on the graph. So something is super screwy, although I can’t rule out that it’s just the combat log.

If she fireball’s a tank during p2, they will lose so much threat that it’s not even worth trying to start over.

Whichever warrior is next on threat is your new substitute tank. Look after him.

My guild has one of the fastest kills on Herod for Onyxia.

The fireballs she shoots out in P2 are threat dumps that targets the person at the top of the threat meter, just have OT/MT (Whoever you plan to have tank her in p3) generate enough threat to be around 5-10 on the meter and have DPS stop during the landing, your tank should be able to pick it up very easily.

2 Likes

Even that doesn’t fit my log, because she hits a fury warrior in my group Before she even takes off, he literally does nothing to her the entire time she is in the air, and then she chases him until he dies when she lands.

I’m not about to pick through your log when you’re wiping 6 times to Onyxia, there’s alot more going wrong then just your tank transitions.

I’m telling you what works for us, just look up the log.

yah…there’s plenty of that too :slight_smile: Feel free to make fun of my hideous UI and running around like a chicken with my head cut off as well. Not my finest raiding moment…but her aggro is still super weird regardless.

Took a quick look at the log you linked above actually and just seeing what I can assume is your tank in p1 is doing around 58 dps for one pull and in your last attempt he’s doing 38 dps, I think your main problem right now is your tanks don’t generate very much threat.

At 30-60 dps it isn’t a leap to imagine why your tank is losing threat to warriors auto attacking in p1.

Get a Bear threat problem solved. Ony hits like a wuss.