One thing Classic chat has taught me

The thing I have learned today is never to get tired of the rather tacky sexually-explicit conversations going on in a public chat channel (ie Looking For Group) and dare to say you think it’s tacky. Because you will get insulted and have sexually oriented insults whispered to you.

I know, I could just put them all on Ignore, grow a thick skin, whatever but I’m an older woman player and frankly find it incredibly childish and daggy. I mean, make a discord if you want to share your thoughts on male anatomy, why does it have to be in open chat? And it’s a useful channel in Classic, I don’t like closing it off.

I don’t often report anyone but I did the person who whispered me because they seriously need an attitude adjustment, or possibly their fingers sewn together. I guess I’m just old fashioned, I don’t recall the game chat being quite as icky as it currently often is. Maybe they are all 14 year olds with over active hormones and the need to seem edgy. I just wish they’d be edgy elsewhere…

6 Likes

There are a number of gals that I use to game with who could Make a sailor blush with the conversations that took place in guild chat and in formerly ventrillo.

Only two things you can do, shrug it off or just close chat.

Welcome to the Internet circa 2004-2006

2 Likes

it was definitely better moderated before 2007. I mean, it’s ok in player owned channels, not so much for channels like trade, lookingforgroup and general, unless it’s barrens, that’s a staple there.

1 Like

Report it if you want it to stop. Ignore them if you don’t want to see them. Come make a forum thread if you dont actually want to do anything about it and just want it to continue.

11 Likes

ur right, it was way worse back in the day.

1 Like

What does this word even mean?

5 Likes

Oh my sweet summer child. I remember all the people using Prodigy for doing their “nasty chat” back in the mid to late 80’s. The ones doing that in WoW in 2004-2006 were those people’s children (or grandchildren lol).

Believe it or not chat is more tame than it was back in the day. Yeah it was always overtly sexual, but it also used to be MUCH worse when it came to racism, sexism, homophobia, and every other hateful thing.

I much prefer the edgey hormonal teenspeak than pure hate speech.

1 Like

Bruh I want to transfer to your server

Right Click their name → Report → Language

Then type in:

Sexually explicit language has no place in public chat. Kids are playing this game!

Problem solved. And before you say that Blizzard just ignores this:

If this means what I think it does, I’m guessing youre Aussie or Kiwi, and this is still super super crass, not sexually explicit I don’t think, but still crass. So I’m surprised to see you using this word in a post about not liking to see crass language.

2 Likes

Next time you get those types of whispers, right-click report. Every time they whisper, right-click report.

Soon they won’t be bothering anyone.

Remember BBS echoes, MUDs, MUCKs, and MUSHes? Fun times.

I would wager that they are teenaged girls trying to act “fierce” to appease third-wave feminist norms about behavior. That or they are other older women looking to provide proof of how bad men are.

Damn, it’s almost like that’s the general target audience of video games. Children, and not manchildren.

It’s kind of like people who misbehave on public buses. They get off on you saying something to them.

My tip is to make a separate chat window for just world chat channels and just not look at it when you don’t need it or it’s tiresome. If you are an aussie/kiwi playing on a US server, then you are probably online past the magic 3AM hour when otherwise normal LFG chat turns into after hours banter.

There are a few people who want an audience – they want to force others to listen to them “talk dirty”. They are exhibitionists. They are probably children or teen-agers.

They can’t get away with this in the real world, where they will be punished for talking this way. Most people won’t accept this or allow this, as you know.

They won’t go on a private channel becuase they WANT to force us to listen their sex-talk. They are exhibitionists – verbal flashers. Well, I don’t want to be “flashed”, so I report them to Blizzard.

That’s in LFG. I gave up on /2 (and /1 in cities) years ago. It seems like every day there are 200-300 people who want to use the channel normally, and 2-3 people who want to talk about donkeys.

Some guilds advertise, and right in their ad they say their discord is “NSFW”. Nice warning. Even without the warning, I may join a guild and find out that their guild chat is “offensive to me”.

I don’t complain. I just leave the guild. I’m the one that doesn’t fit in. Nothing wrong with people talking that way…to listeners that don’t mind that.