Once sharding is allowed in Classic..

Well I have yet to see anything about it only being on starting areas all I heard is they want to make it authentic but they are wanting to add sharding for 2-3 weeks, which doesn’t tell us if its only in starting zones which was 1-5 or 1-10 areas its very bad for pvp and rpg servers not as much as pve servers even though it has its effects.

Hosting an event on rpg server where you are sharded in zone b while other people who want to be a part of it are in c.
PvP server walking into contested territory look around no one of enemy faction in area but perhaps there are people there but they are in shard zone z while you are in a no pvp happens pvp server identity destroyed.

The 1-10 starting zones are flagged as friendly, not contested, so there’s not much PVP there for sharding to destroy. PVP flagged friendly players and enemies could easily be forced into a unique shard if anyone actually decides to raid razor hill in the second week.

I Have had phasing issues in any number of instances in Wow in pretty much any zone you could think of it. Be it players or resource nodes. Asking for help and having someone willing only to be phased is pretty tough. (Had this issue while working on Loremaster achievements where I needed Lower Level ppl to help.) I agree that this Phasing Deteriorates the community. Even if it is just as simple as seeing someone with a particular armor or Transmog running past you want to look at or ask about. These Simple interactions is no different then real life when you see someone with a nice sweater you want to ask them about or compliment them on. And they POOF! and Vanish in front of you! Sometimes its the little things that really add up to big picture. Contacts, Friendship, and Alliances can and have been forged throughout gaming history. Wow is the Not the First game to make Legacy Servers Everquest has allready done this Successfully. The Population stayed pretty steady, but Not overwhelming. And everything despite competition was manageable with a little patience; with No issues Ever getting help for things. Which the Retail Version of pretty much Any Older Game has.

hehe, precisely.

Generally you don’t see that kind of behavior in a major appliance.

But if I’m right, and we can stop this thing…Lenny…you will have saved the lives of millions of registered gamers.

No sharding blizzard its not hard to understand.

1 Like

I don’t think the concept of physical server even exists anymore. Your server is just a set of preferred shards and rules on who you can trade with and what AH you use.

Seems like what they want to do is just create super servers, which is the same thing with out preferred shards and no restrictions on who you trade with and only one AH.

There would be some benefits to this, mostly that over time the population would seem to stay the same. No Dead servers and it would help keep the game feeling alive during the ebbs and flows as populations switch back and forth to retail after content updates. But that would require servers to be very large. I imagine they could probably get away with servers with 100’s of thousand of players and we wouldn’t be able to tell for a while.

But It would destroy community. Instead of the small town where everyone knows your name where back to being anonymous strangers on the streets of Manhattan.

1 Like

My fear is they’re going to just decide to keep layering going as long as possible rather than “just Phase 1”