Old School Dark Age of Camelot?

Hi guys. I’ve got a friend who looking to play WoW for the first time. Hes played many MMO games but he is an old vet from Dark Age. He’s looking for a class that is similiar to play style and skills his melee Ranger class had from that game. Hes said he was high relm rank. Any Dark Age players in here that could give me some insight? Or anyone else?

1 Like

Rangers are basically just Hunter’s in WoW. He won’t like the stealth loss, and the pet may be jarring though. If he liked the stealth mechanics better it’d be better for Rogue of course. If he was one of the rare melee rangers then Survival Hunter may also be an option for him, again if he wants to keep the stealth Rogue it is. Combat rogue would likely be closest in this regard.

1 Like

Yo. DAoC great mmo… even still… I still play here and there. By play I log in every few months now. lol

A Ranger. Hmm

Hunter is best bet. Spec Marksmen is closes but you don’t have any melee attacks. If he spec Survival then he will be melee. Then you mostly use a polearm (and pet)

Next be Rogue if they going for stealth. I have no comment as I don’t play rogues.

bonus
Warlocks is a bad mix of SM and locks from mid. If he wants go that root and class

I played DAOC every day for 3 years, then tried WoW and switched games (Nov 2004). One of my characters in DAOC was a Ranger. But your friend says a “melee Ranger”, which means a Ranger (an archer with no pet) who has built up his melee skills, even though he has weak (leather?) armor.

WoW has 2 subclasses for each class, and uses the same classes for both factions and most races. Here are the 2 closest ones. I think Rogue is the closest:

Choice 1: Hunter (subclass Marksmanship) - lots of bow skills, leather armor, no stealth, can melee but has no melee skills. A 10% damage bonus when petless, or can have a pet with a few skills to tank for you when you solo (and you can heal the pet).

Choice 2: Rogue (subclass Outlaw) – no bow skills, but you can pull enemies with a bow. Best stealth in the game. Leather armor. Good melee skills. No pets. Unlike the other 2 Rogue subclasses, Outlaws are good melee fighters (not sneak-attack poisoners), and can use 2 daggers, swords or maces.

WoW’s hunter is similar DAOC’s Midgard “Hunter” class – it has no stealth but it has a pet.

But all archer classes in DAOC can train (get good at) melee skills. WoW hunters can’t.

Thank you everyone. This helps a ton!

Just want to say I enjoyed killing Hibernia rangers with my Albion infiltrator (broken OP) back in DAOC.

People complain about CC on WoW and my infiltrator had a 9 second stun.

And the only CC break in the game was an RvR ability purge on a 30 minute cooldown.

My Furbolg Bard laughs at your Infiltrator’s stun as he CC’s all 200 of you with Captivate Army.

Perf Artery -> creeping death (6s stun) -> stunning stab = dead bard.

Ah, this takes me back to the days of 2nd account buff bot clerics and roaming Emain Macha (probably misspelled).

You’ll never get past my Valewalker buddy’s toadstools! :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom: :mushroom:

Those were in the shrouded isles or the expansion after?

I had stopped playing after shrouded isles ended, but I can vaguely remember guard type drop things like that.

Shrouded Isles gave Hibs the Valewalker. The next expansion gave Vampyr, who would simultaneously cast spells with the left hand while meleeing with the right, so you had to track 2 sets of abilities and cooldowns simultaneously. Oh and the Banshee, which had a continuous PBAOE.

1 Like