Old rune system

Is it worth asking for the old rune system that we had in Cata, MOP and WOD to return? Or is that a something that would be too inconvenient?

5 Likes

I personally do not think that the old rune system has to come back, it would be complicate the game unnecessary, and I think it even could affect the balance in the damage of the skills.

I actually really liked the old rune system. That being said, with how the game has gone, there would be no point to go that way unless we had a ton more of our old school skills returned.

Just make Death Strike cost Runes instead of RP, The new Rune system is dumbed down but it’s fine really.

5 Likes

I WISH they would do this.

3 Likes

I prefer the old rune system; I thought it was more intellectually engaging than the current system (which I find more boring). Even better if we had the WotLK rune system (where runes cooled down immediately instead of one-per-pair at a time).

But I don’t think they’re going to bring back either because new rune system is probably way easier to manage during development, balancing, and tuning.

2 Likes

if the runes cool’d down immedialty instead of 3 at a time it would help with our downtime some, but people dont like that

its the time to try n see what elese we can get them to give back

Making things more complicated could be more beneficial than just spamming. I agree that the old WoD system was a bit annoying at times, but made you think about what you had to do to achieve max dps. I do see your point though. The new system is more welcoming to new players.

Shadowlands is bringing back the old spells. This would be the time to go back and be unique again.

110% god please!

They should bring back the Wrath style. Would make downtime flow better and add a little uniqueness back to the Death Knight class.

The reason I would want the old system back, that being Blood, Unholy, and Frost runes back is to make the Death Knight feel more like a class rather than a spec. The current system is all Death runes which is fine but it makes each spec feel like a loner which isn’t unique. Plus this just adds to the fill and spend which all classes have it the moment. I felt like the old system was more rewarding to people who played correctly.

I do agree though, the runes need to come off this three charge at a time nonsense. They should start recharging right after they are used.

5 Likes

Please no the current rune system is much easier to build around than the old one. God please no
Bring back some auras, make some pvp talents baseline but please god don’t bring back the old rune system.

Off topic ; I wouldn’t mind if they baked some current Azerite traits into the rune system so we could choose from 1-2 to have on our weapon.

1 Like

Ok, newer death knight from this expansion… what was the older rune system?

You had four types of runes. Blood and Unholy DKs had two Blood Runes, Two Unholy Runes and Two Frost Runes. Frost had Two Unholy, Frost and Death runes. When you used a rune it would go on cool down and when it recharged it would be converted into a death rune.

Death runes counted as any rune. For example, Obliterate required Frost runes but death runes could replace that cost. It was less spammy and reward good play. Or if you sucked at rune management, your dps would suffer or survivability was placed in jeopardy.

4 Likes

Sounds a bit confusing, but likely something I could gotten a grasp of with time. Thank you

2 Likes

I thought it was a little confusing at first, but like anything else, you get better at it with some practice. I thought it was a fun mini-game.

1 Like

After reading about these old runes I would rather not having them back, the game is much more fast paced than before and these different runes would only make it harder to understand the class.
We are already underrepresented as it is, stop asking for more inconvenience

A paladin practicing necromancy?

I’ll tell the Light’s Hope about your heresy.

4 Likes

If we had more than 2 for each and death runes were a free use for all abilities

Do you all remember when we had a talent for a seventh rune?

Those old rune systems do not need to come back. Blizzard hit it right on the head with this rune sustem. Perfect. Balanced. Fits the game play. Now they just need to give some dks more moves and not try to stick with this your unholy you can only use unholy moves.