Okay, really struggling here with BM

I’ve made other posts, I’ve asked questions, studied the guides, simmed out the butt… I don’t know what to do. I am following the rotations recommended, keeping my stacks of barbed shot up etc. Where am I going wrong? My parses categorized by ilvl is only in the 35 percentile avg. If I have it show by Key instead of ilvl it says my dps is in the 90’s avg percentile for dps for that key. I’ve only done low keys but that is because I am really trying to figure my stuff out before I push higher ones. My boss damage was 100, so are my parses low because it’s taking stupid small adds into account? If so then I will never pull better parses because I have barely any cleave, SFE legendary just wouldn’t dop for me, I went with what I had.

I am simming at 3,585ish dps, and Details! is telling me that I am pulling either that or close to it (when I don’t mess up my rotation which does happen since I’m really ADD) So how are my ilvl parses so low?

I made sure to have tons of haste and crit, 23% crit base, 15% haste base, 24% mastery base and 9% versatility. I saw another BM hunter pulling bonkers parses on my server while having like 8% haste and 36% mastery, same crit and versa.

So what I want to know is, is haste really that good? Because I swear I was doing more dmg when I had more mastery and less haste.

Also, if I am pulling my sim amount then how are my parses so low compared to others of my ilvl? Does the Soulforge embers REALLY make that big of a difference? Yes I am using Killer Cobra instead of aspect of the beast but the difference for me was 15 dps, is it really that much? Also I went with Venthyr instead of Night Fae… If legendaries and covenant really impact you THIS much then I’m not sure how to feel… I want to enjoy the game, not be forced into something I don’t enjoy just to deal enough damage.

I skipped BFA but in Legion I was pulling purple-orange parses on normal and blue-purple on heroic raids… What am I doing wrong this time around?

Edits: Typos!

Don’t feel bad. Even 200+ ilvl geared BM hunters with right legendary/talent/covenant are still parsing 1500-2000 dps below top classes in H castle nathris. Blizzard can’t balance classes right even if their life depended on it. Funny they even nerfed BM further around prepatch cause they were doing so “good” /sarcasm.

3 Likes

Well yeah but, when you log and post it to warcraft logs it compares you to those close to your ilvl and spec… Like I said, my boss damage and dps % is high. Boss is 100, dps is 93%. I kept running Spires of Ascension and even gave up on uploading the logs after 2x because they weren’t improving after that point. But if you look at my parses based on my comparison to others my ilvl… It’s only 35? So that means even for a BM hunter compared to others my ilvl I suck. I am honestly not adapting well to the changes to BM. I loved the way it played in Legion, this barbed shot crap is annoying ngl XD idk… I am just worried that my covenant and choice of Legendary are really gimping me. But when I checked the raw power chart comparison for the legendaries rylak’s and dire command were pretty close to SFE, I mean… Not different enough to demolish me I didn’t think.

Your sims and parses are completely different. If you picked the weaker covenant and don’t have your legendary of course your parses are bad. Even with a perfect rotation that’s a lot of damage you choose to not have.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed the damage increase when buffed for mastery, also. This is just due to the way stats are early on in the expansion until you have the right gear. Any buff to mastery increases the damage of your pets, so if your character stats are not where they should be in terms of haste/crit for other attacks, it’s likely more is going towards frontloading mastery (you’re likely seeing a lot of verse/mastery, haste/mastery, crit/mastery gear instead of haste/crit), which will still increase your pet damage at least (and mastery has a huge multiplier). With the right talents, like animal companion/aspect of the beast, this can make a big difference. You can sim it to find out if this is the case and which stats you need to raise.

I know you are not talking to me but no way could I pick a fairy covenant with goofy mounts and armor. That’s why I picked necrolord over night fae. I will make up the dps loss with my knowledge of my class. It’s frustrating that they can’t offer the covenants to give all classes a balanced damage or healing abilities. Thank goodness I’m in a guild so I won’t have to worry about getting kicked from raids and mythics because I didn’t pick night fae.

1 Like

You refer to Night Fae as goofy yet you’re literally playing as a 3 foot tall fox person :joy:

9 Likes

Haha. Exactly. It’s a goofy cartoony game. I love playing with the fairies!

1 Like

Killer Cobra is good for single target damage, so it would make sense that your boss parses would be good. However, Aspect of the Beast will be much better for AoE damage, and a lot of your time in a mythic is spent AoEing trash mobs. Beast Mastery AoE is more consistent than bursty, so it can be hard to do really good AoE if the mobs are dying really fast, as on a low key. You can’t have Bestial Wrath or Aspect of the Wild or your covenant ability available for every trash pack, so just do your best, keep beast cleave up all the time, multi-dot Barbed Shot when you can. If the runs are successful and the packs are dying, you are doing your job, and just keep moving up the keys.

1 Like

I can, without a doubt say my covenant is what gimped my parses. I checked out quite a few hunters built exactly like me, they even skipped out on SFE legendary and went with Rylak’s, one of them wasn’t even using a legendary for BM. Their parses were all purple-orange. I noticed that they were stacking more mastery at the cost of versatility which I might do since I definitely feel like Mastery is better than versa in pve considering BM is so pet reliant and the talent trees as well. But more than anything they were all Night Fae, I didn’t realize just how strong the Night Fae ability is. Since Mythic + takes ALL your performance on trash included into consideration on the parses, it doesn’t matter that I am flawless on the bosses because I am completely lacking the massive AOE cleave that Night Fae gives me. I went Venthyr, which is my absolute worst covenant xD but I love the succ bois so much!

I mean druids and hunters are probably the ony classes that make sense for night purely off aesthetics

This is a great example of why all the talk around the forums of nerfing Night Fae kinda scares me. If it gets a big nerf, BM is going to be a dead spec unless it gets a equally large buff.

2 Likes

I quit playing the game

You make no sense. Night Fae is girly and retarded looking imho. I like the furry little fix in its necrolord gear.

Self-absorbed necros to five month old thread FTW.

If you can compare the logs, then you can also compare the actions. Compare how many kill commands, barbed shots they have. Compare the Beast Cleave uptime, compare how often DPS CDs and trinkets were used. Like I told a friend of mine, most of the time, the solution is simply using your abilities more often, no matter what.