OK, this is a little scary

From AltruisWoW, Executive Producer:
We’ll use layers to help improve performance in the short-term if large groups of players cluster in an area.

Did anyone else pick up on this? Does “short term” only mean Phase 1, or does this mean a “short term” any time there will be a city raid, Hillsbrad battle, etc?

7 Likes

RIP World PVP

It shouldn’t come as a shock. They did the same thing to World PVP with “phasing”.

1 Like

They were pretty clear in the AMA that they will remove layering for phase 2.

22 Likes

I mean correct me if I am wrong, but isn’t that literal sharding? i thought layering was for entire continents so more people could fit on a single server.

5 Likes

It says elsewhere in the AMA that they’re removing it in P2. Did this really need its own thread?

8 Likes

“We’re absolutely committed to reaching one layer per realm by Phase 2.” - Pazorax, r/classic AMA

I would think, as he says it right here, only in Phase 1.

7 Likes

Then why specify “if large groups of players cluster in an area”? If everything will be layered in phase 1, wouldn’t it be redundant to say they’ll do it when many people are in an area?

1 Like

Because large groups clustering in an area generates the most lag?

People just looking for excuses to whine now. They couldn’t have been more clear that layering will be gone by Phase 2.

7 Likes

AQ opening event will likely be a good candidate, based on what happened in vanilla.

I think they were referring to the surge of players in the starting zones at launch.

Look at all these new players citing Blizzard’s promises as if they hold any water. lol

They’ve already walked back on their #nochanges stance because of ouch words.

1 Like

Look at all these little chickens running around screaming that the sky will fall.

2 Likes

Sorry, but this is like announcing you will be drinking beer all day today, and then saying that at noon I will be drinking a beer.

Making a “the sky is falling!” topic like this should get you banned from the game for a week.

1 Like

Such dramatic posts, it makes me want to light myself on fire!

(What else will entertain us while we wait for Classic? Threads by level-headed people are not nearly as theatrical nor entertaining.)

4 Likes

I don’t follow your analogy. From what I understand, layering isn’t something that activates if there’s a surge of players in one particular area. It’s like an overflow server. When one layer fills up a new one is created and people who log in are placed on that layer.

If it keeps the Goldshire Inn quiet …

I’d have to see more of the context, but the question would also be what they mean by “large groups”.

They’ve talked about initial launch layers being close to vanilla launch population numbers. Think with their 2.5k-3k numbers which would be an average of 500 people per tiny starting area.

Now, is a city raid or a wPvP battle (or a large “dueling tournament”) with 500 players in a small area - attacking, defending, or uninvolved - large enough that they’d short-term add a layer to avoid performance issues on the server?

I’m glad you said something. I can’t quite understand the analogy either. Who is the beer? And what is you that is drinking? Is layering the afternoon or the day? Explain this please.

no matter how many times Blizzard says that there will be no layering past Phase 1, we still get nonsense threads like this.