Ok, look. I love Jennifer Hale, and she's a great VA, but

Nah, his voice is easily recognizable without the Turian thing. He was in Fallout 4 and you could tell it was him right away.

Oh for the love of.

200+ hours in the Mass Effect Trilogy, probably more, usually playing Shepard as a female because Jennifer Hale’s performance has more emotion to it, and I never noticed she’s voicing Merithra?

I did know she voices Elisande, but that’s Legion and that’s like 8 years ago.

1 Like

I should go . . . I should go . . . I should go . . . do I really sound like that?

As long as I’ve known you . . . yeah

Now maybe we should turn our attention to this impenetrable vault we’ve been sealed inside?

Oh right! Glyph! Get us out of here! No one steals my ship! Not even me!

The Citadel DLC cracked me up so much.

1 Like

You run into her again during the Tyr’s Guard quest, I did the campaign in Emerald Dream and then did the quest for Tyr’s Guard and was like “Oh look”

It’s noticeable when you do different quests back to back.

She also voiced Sedusa in Powerpuff Girls

She’s been in everything

I am probably alone in this, but I actually prefer the Elder Scrolls: Oblivion NPC’s over the majority of the NPC’s that World of Warcraft offers.

(Sips :milk_glass:)

1 Like

I don’t play many other games, so I don’t really care what they do outside of WoW.

And I never really noticed the voice actors being other characters. I guess I get swept up in the NPC standing in front of me. I suppose I just assume video games use the same actor for many voices to be cost effective, can’t have a different voice actor for every NPC and Character.

I just wish the voice acting across all of DF was better. I know for a fact it is a voice director issue because Wrathion sounded WAY better in BfA than in DF lmao

is laura bailey still here?

I notice it if I like the VA’s voice and also recognize it from other media. I played Mass Effect as a female character because I was like, “idk how I want to customize my character so I’m just going to make her a black/Asian woman with green eyes so I can get into the game and see what it’s like and then tomorrow I’ll start over and try making a male character who looks like a more attractive version of how I look IRL.”

But then I ended up just sticking with FemShep because I didn’t want to replay the intro and I liked her voice anyway. And that ended up being the right choice because they made Garrus (a character I think Bioware didn’t expect to be so popular) one of the possible love interests your character can have in ME2, but only if you played FemShep, because it was 2010, and to avoid alienating their target demographic of CoD/Gears/Halo dudebros, they had to make sure all the human-alien romance in the game was str8

Jennifer Hale has also done games I played long before Mass Effect; I’m pretty sure she was Naomi Hunter in Metal Gear Solid, a PS1 game I really liked. Mass Effect is the main game I associate with her because she voices the main character if you play as a woman. And she’s like everywhere in WoW too

I don’t play many video games other than WoW, so I am not overly inundated by the same journeymen voice actors working all over the place.

I didn’t notice, but I heard Theodin from LOTR was Tirion in Legion, and Stannis from GoT was Daelin in BfA?

I suppose I don’t have as finely tuned an ear for it. I just enjoy ones that stand out, like Elisande. One could see it as a cast where people play different roles in the same play.

I think many people who watch lots of dubbed anime might also notice a lot of voices. I almost instantly thought of Roy Mustang from Fullmetal Alchemist when I heard Turalyon, and it turns out both are played by Travis Willingham (who had been doing WoW voices for years but I didn’t notice him as Gazlowe).

I knew Tyrant Velhari from Hellfire Citadel was Mary Elizabeth McGlynn instantly because I liked her voice as the main character of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (like really, if I were a woman I’d want her exact voice—actually as a dude I still want her voice); it took me awhile to figure out she was also Remornia though, and I imagine that’s been her most standout role in this game.

I think Lauren Bailey has prob also done some WoW voices although idk because I get her mixed up with Jennifer Hale sometimes

I think she’s also Aegwynn in Tomb of Sargeras and one of the generic female nightborne NPC voices. I was really hoping Blizz would get her to also voice the female nightborne player character

2 Likes

Oh she’s definitely not the only one.

As soon as Garrosh died, Patrick Seitz became every other big guy that they needed to yell. He’s also one of the generic Tuskarr and Dracthyr NPC voices in DF. Not that I mind hearing him because he’s great, but yeah sometimes it’s funny how much they use him.

I did notice as I was going through Shadowlands that they’ve seemed to branch out with VAs a little more though. I heard some familiar voices in there that haven’t really been in WoW.

Afaik they really only use her for Jaina. That said, she actually has quite the range so it’s not always obvious when it’s her.

1 Like

To be fair. He’s very good at it.

That “8 SECONDS. HRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH ILL OBLITERATE YOU”. Or the fact he Muda’d faster than the JPN voice actor

1 Like

Illysana is a Legion NPC you wouldnt have even remembered it was her if it weren’t part of the M+ cycle. Totally incidental. Elisande is also a Legion NPC which featured in one quest. Again, both are from the Legion expansion seven years ago.

The only main voice cast she has in DF is Merithra, and VAs usually have smaller voice sets for random NPCs to round up the VA sessions.

She’s not overused at all.

Its more likely its just part of her contract. Big studios also love keeping just a small group of voice actors to do multiple voices. I’d imagine it saves them time and money

We can always bring this back!

Is this what you want OP!?!

Is this the hill you shall die on?

X’D

2 Likes

Definitely the case, but again Illysana and Elisande are not even major NPCs (compared to Jaina, Anduin, etc) and were from seven years ago. They’re certainly going to bring her in to voice a character after that length of time.

Merithra is arguably her largest role yet and even that’s arguable as I don’t know if Merithra will be recurring. Laura Bailey will never get another major lore character voicing gig in WoW cause she’ll always be Jaina. Don’t think Jennifer Hale has that “voicecast” yet (unless it’s Merithra moving forward).

I could have sworn I heard Laura Bailey as that fishing lightforged draenei in dragonflight. But that might have been Tara Strong. Laura can do a voice very similar to Tara so I perked up hearing it possibly be her.

Jester the Tiefling for those that don’t Critical Role

1 Like

Yeah she might have had a few minor roles. I do remember hearing her sometimes.

Matt Mercer is definitely up there in recognizable voices, but only because I also watch CR and have heard him speak in all sorts of accents and voice tones lol. It took Fyrakk one sentence for me to be like “Yep that’s him”.

Maybe ol’ Blizz is just trying save some money, you know with the recession and all.