Often the same Opponent

So I’m doing pvp battle pets and just wanting to go through the win 10 games with x party, but it tends to give me the same person over and again. Which can mean easily kills, or defeat over and over. Either option is bad. I hate beating someone again and again, feels terrible. Is there a way to avoid fighting the same person so many times? Is there just not enough people queuing?

This is a long-time complaint. Lot of the Pet PvP’ers aren’t really into it for the fun and challenge, they just want to log another win. At any given time there are well known meta-teams and strategies that lot of different players all use. Unless you can identify opponent because of how they named their pets, good chance it isn’t same person over and over, just bunch of people using same teams.

This sort of thing discourages newcomers trying out Pet PvP and they give it up, meaning not a whole lot of folks doing it at any one time. So long queues, and sometimes same opponent is only one out there.

I see, yeah pet nicknames give it away. I was always intimidated by pvp pet battles. So only started a day or two ago. I just hate seeing the same person over and over again. The worst I had was one I beat easily multiple times in a row. I tried two more times, got them and just fled. I hate it when it’s a far swinger pendulum. You either win by a heap or loose by a mile. It almost felt like bullying that player.

I used to do that with 3 hermit crabs, I’m a bad person.

Actually what Nodoz said is not entirely correct.

There are plenty of people queueing, especially during pet battle week.

The issue is the Find Battle grouping and matchmaking system.
We are all arbitrarily placed in different “battlegroups”, some are active, some are inactive. The active groupings will see a good spread of opponents and instant queues, the inactive you will get long queues and likely face the same person over and over.

The Find Battle system is highly dysfunctional and Blizzard have not addressed it.

4 Likes

What constitutes inactivity and activity. Do you mean out and about in the world doing things, or is it another arbitrary factor?

you have been placed in a pool of people for Find Battle
whatever you’ve got- you’re stuck with
so you just have to make the best of it

for Family Brawler, I strongly recommend working on several at the same time- don’t try to muscle through ONE family in one go
if someone plays elementals when you’re trying to do Mechanical Brawler, switch to your aquatic team.

1 Like

Personally I dont mind if someone beats me easily a few times. Most of us are just trying to get our wins this week. It’s along haul. If I’m helping someone get closer, that’s fine by me.

Maybe there are a few people like you out there. I couldn’t understand why someone would keep queuing the same battle they know they are gonna loose.

my queues have actually been pretty good this week

(but it is critter week)

I tried it early on this week, but got the same opponent. I also realized my elemental team and critter team are seriously lacking. I just leveld ones that were cute, but not able to battle well. I have been just leveling more pets and alts at the same time instead.

I have played with this and the system is ridiculous and broken. I too am doing the family brawler and I’m down to my last 2 familys. I’m not saying I am a great battler but I’m not terrible. But changing just one pet out can entirely change your pool of rivals. Its stupid. The system is actively discouraging. Take last night for example I got nothing but dragonkin groups and I had all flying so loss for me every time. Usually having taken out 2 of the dragons, but still just a 66% bad odds for me. -33% damage done to them and +33% damage bonus against me. Not fun logged out. Tonight started out like that but I did some pet swapping and finally got in a group where I wasn’t constantly losing. But then I got in to the pool of AoE ers. Litterally used an undead with a spammable aoe that they get off 5 times for 200hp each before I can kill them, and then twice more on their rebirth (can you nerf that crap please? Why does it not have a cooldown???) So I get rid of him and the second aoe pet but then my pets almost dead and my backline is dead all without a chance. If my main pet blocks the move it should block it for the whole team. My backline has NO defense! HOW do you justify the other team being able to just spam an aoe move and then win with no real effort? GAH I’ve been mad at this system for a while. Why cant we just get random battles?

you are getting random battles, however people in the queue see your team and swap in a team to beat yours.

doing family brawler it is highly encouraged to do all families at once instead of trying to muscle 10 wins with one family-
the guy probably ran dragons because he saw you running flyers
you shouldve switched to humanoid or undead team

also, if youre struggling with AOE teams, make and use a sandstorm team and chase them out of the queue.

2 Likes

What would be your suggestion if they had their humanoid and undead team already done? I don’t think that is really a solution at all. It’s working with what ya got, but not actually solving it. If the queue was more diverse, you wouldn’t be able to run into the same person preparing teams on you like that. It’s clearly an issue here.

there definitely is an issue with the battlegroups and the Find Battle system

but banging your head against a wall and getting frustrated isn’t a solution

download Rematch, save a few different teams and when someone is countering you, change teams.
you will start to have fun too.

you cant complete family brawler in one sitting

1 Like

Oh yes of course not, didn’t mean to make it sound like I was implying that. I get that you are trying to make the best out of a bad situation. It’s all we can do right now. Still I’d like blizz to take it seriously and fix the issues, rather than having work arounds.

1 Like

me too.

I’d be overjoyed if Blizz paid a bit more attention to pet battles but it doesn’t seem like they are.

The SL content looks small and rushed, no new features, no more dungeons, minimal tweaks.

I’m not buying SL unless I see a good review, just going to continue playing classic.

2 Likes

Yep, I get that. It’s like they introduced something, thought it was just gonna be a gimmick, but they actually made something fun and people like doing it. Now they wanna back peddle on it.

It might because of the group of people who were very out spoken against pet battle. Tbh originally I was against the idea. I used to wait for a dungeon queue, while playing pokemon on my game boy/DS. But I don’t feel pet battles are anything like it, beyond being a companion turn based game.