Officially confirmed: x470 and b450 are Zen 3 compatible

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/gmp45o/the_zen_3_architecture_is_coming_to_amd_x470_and/

They showed reason why it wasn’t able to do so in the first place, but will let said owners run Zen 3

The ones thinking “lul AMD bad!” Will never apologize for their outburst however, most likely will never believe this official statement either

Least AMD will listen vs Intel’s kaby lake to coffee lake issue

1 Like
  • We will develop and enable our motherboard partners with the code to support “Zen 3”-based processors in select beta BIOSes for AMD B450 and X470 motherboards.
  • These optional BIOS updates will disable support for many existing AMD Ryzen Desktop Processor models to make the necessary ROM space available.
  • The select beta BIOSes will enable a one-way upgrade path for AMD Ryzen Processors with “Zen 3,” coming later this year. Flashing back to an older BIOS version will not be supported.
  • To reduce the potential for confusion, our intent is to offer BIOS download only to verified customers of 400 Series motherboards who have purchased a new desktop processor with “Zen 3” inside. This will help us ensure that customers have a bootable processor on-hand after the BIOS flash, minimizing the risk a user could get caught in a no-boot situation.
  • Timing and availability of the BIOS updates will vary and may not immediately coincide with the availability of the first “Zen 3”-based processors.
  • This is the final pathway AMD can enable for 400 Series motherboards to add new CPU support. CPU releases beyond “Zen 3” will require a newer motherboard.
  • AMD continues to recommend that customers choose an AMD 500 Series motherboard for the best performance and features with our new CPUs.

LOL what a :poop: show.

Title of this thread is a lie.

Enjoy your beta bios, whenever it comes out (if it ever does for your mobo), that you have to get approval from AMD to even DL, that will make your mobo unusable for other CPUs (and given AMD’s software bug history, might make it unusable for your new CPU, too)

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-reverses-course-will-enablxe-zen-3-support-on-b450-and-x470-motherboards

2 Likes

It worked for x370 owners and zen 2 users so :man_shrugging:

But you’ll look the other way when z370 owners had a difficult time when 9900k wasn’t working properly at launch so…

You mean… Downloading the correct BIOS file from motherboards website with an automatic checklist?

Griefs didn’t read it fully, just looked at bad parts of the statement so he can criticize with no purpose

It cuts out support from older CPUs the moment you flash your BIOS to the newest update, even warns you before you decide to flash, of course it wouldn’t work

Intel does this too but he looks the other way regardless

Poor Griefs, doesn’t understand how a bios update works :sob:

If only Aribeth was here to rip up his post

So you may or may not be able to get a bios update that will have questionable results based on your manfuacturer

Exactly. And 300-series mobo owners still got lied to

Griefs doesn’t understand that it was the motherboard brand companies that made the decision to support zen 2 on 300 series not AMD

He didn’t say a word when zen 2 compatible chart was listed and said no zen 2 support on b350/x370, but suddenly wants to make a mountain out of Zen 3 :thinking:

I don’t think they should have backed down, IMO.

They had perfectly justifiable reasons to require a new motherboard.

Now, troubleshooting forums are going to be even worse than they were in the past.

I supported their move to cutting off 300 and 400 series boards.

See now your reply is a reasonable response unlike others

Yeah I too thought about the hiccups, that’s why zen 2 wasn’t really officially supported on x370s and b350s, AMD let them have the option, and they did allow it

The main reason why they didn’t want to is because the ROM size of supporting too many CPUs they said

That’s why when you do a bios update for x470 and b450s for the upcoming zen 3, it will remove all recognition of zen+ and below, so when you try to troubleshoot later down the line should something happen… You can’t just pop in a cheap 2600, it won’t recognize it.

It’s up to motherboard manufacturers to decide if they want x370s and b350s to support zen 3 now, they might do it they might not

Intel does this too in the past but some people look the other way when this is brought up

I have no problem with requiring new motherboards more often.

People who upgrade CPUs too often generally make poor initial purchasing decisions (example, buying an i3-8100 or Ryzen 3 1200 with the intent to upgrade later, which is a foolish waste of money).

Buy the best you can afford today with what’s available today. Worry about a new $150 motherboard in 5 years, not obsess over why your $85 B350/H310 won’t support the latest/greatest in 2.

Cynical response, they want people to brick their boards.

AMD fanboys are really the worst.

I can admit that Intel is losing in the productivity/rendering department, but in gaming, they are still the reigning champ.

I got into an argument on a youtube comments video about how that seeing the i5-10600k reviews (basically 8700k with MCE on), and how it still matches or beats the 3950x in gaming, it was an amazing product in 2017 and it is clear today in 2020 that it was the right choice over the 1600.

Comments basically from fanboys boiled down to:
the 8700k was twice as expensive! (ignoring it was 40% faster than the 1600, still faster than the 2600, still faster than the 3600, two generations later, or ~$600 in upgrades later)
the 8700k uses too much power! (meanwhile same users buy AMD GPUs over nvidia…because power consumption right)
the 8700k sometimes loses to a 3950x in games with tightly tuned/fast ram! (meanwhile ignoring the fact its 20-effing 20, (three years later) and needs overclocking/minute management to even come close)

yeah. the 8700k was a terrible buy in 2017 and anyone who says otherwise is an Intel shill.

AMD fanboys are bottom barrel.

2 Likes