Odd shadow glitch

So occasionally when i boot up the game there seems to be a weird bug that happens where different parts IE: Hair/Horns/weapons will start having weird shadowy effects on the characters. Only does it stop once i start playing with the shadows option. I’ve only recently been able to come back to play due to a power supply needing changed out and made sure all connects were tight and correct accordingly, however it’s a fairly new graphics card only bought it in February and never had any issues with it prior to 8.3.7. Nvidia Geforce 1660 Super is my current card. I was wondering if anyone else was having these issues or if it’s just me.

1 Like

I’m seeing the same kinds of things since I came back a bit more than a month ago after taking a year off. Hair turning black, usually on the character select screen or in-game character portrait, sometimes on an NPC’s portrait.

Single objects, or entire connected elements on the loading screen flickering between solid black and their normal colors. Sometimes random ground clutter flickering between blank black and normal.

General lighting flickering. For some reason this happens especially often when playing my Lightforged Draenei priest. She arrived in Stormwind Trade District, and while simply standing in one place the paving stones alternated back and forth between their normal appearance and looking like they were bathed in purple light. There was nothing going on (fireworks, weather, other effects) that would account for it.

I have screenshots of all these things.

This is happening on a newish Windows 10 PC that I bought in advance of BfA’s release (I had previously been playing on the same old iMac I’d been using since Wrath, which wasn’t going to be able to launch BfA). None of this was happening prior to my break from the game.

Running latest version of Windows 10 (2004)
16GB RAM
NVidia GTX1050 with current driver (451.67)

1 Like

Okay, since when can’t I post links to screenshots? I just spent time adding screenshots I’ve uploaded to Imgur, and then it tells me I can’t include images in my post. Fair enough. I removed all of the [ img ] tags
to provide plain links rather than embedded images, and now it says I can’t include links in my post.

1 Like

Yeah it’s odd, i played with the settings further, having to keep shadows at max settings as well disabled triple buffering seems to have kept it at bay for me for now. I certainly hope it gets fixed soon, and glad i’m not exactly alone in this!

Are we all using NVidia GPUs? It might be a driver bug.

1 Like

No idea if we are or not, however, it may be possible that it is a driver bug. I’m hoping that is all it is and can be fixed sooner than later!

There’s an update available on geforce experience, and so far so good. it released yesterday 8/17/2020, so i’m guessing it has been a driver issue, vs an in-game bug, more testing will need to be done to know it’s eliminated but so far it looks very promising! knocks on wood

Yep. It will take some time to be sure, though, because in my case at least, it wasn’t happening all the time. It felt like something external was triggering the glitch every now and then.

1 Like

Aye. When I put my shadows on ultra high, it only occurred randomly as well, prior i wasn’t able to put it on low due to it triggering quite often and annoyingly so. but so far i’m able to play on my preferred shadowsettings and no issues yet continuing to hope for the same as i play more! :smiley:

I’ve been playing with all of my graphics at max for the last week or two, and it was still happening now and then. See what happens with the new driver!

1 Like

Yeah, had to disable triple buffering too to help quell it as well, not that my gpu needs it, but still had to jump through hoops to try to get it to stop doing it frequently, now so far the new driver seems to be holding it up even with shadows turned back down :smiley:

seems with whatever mini update recently blizzard did, broke some of it again lol. the attack of the weird shadow glitch has returned.