Oceanic Calendar

Fell victim to the calendar not being in the right time zone the day Pilgrim’s Bounty started, only to discover even though the calendar said it had started hours before that it hadn’t gone live yet. Quite misleading!

4 Likes

So Blizzard’s solution is to post all the events at the wrong time on the wrong day? I have to guess when events are starting/ending because there is nothing in the calendar to indicate which timezone is being used, and no clock setting to line up with the calendar. All I have is server time and local time, both of which are AEST/AEDT.

I repeat, due to the large time difference events are often listed on the wrong day.

If we want to catch a shorter event, or are trying to complete something before an event ends, then the calendar is not just inconvenient: It is actively misleading.

3 Likes

Working as intended?
in MoP when we got local realms… the times on the cal were right. they changed them back to US times and screwed everyone over, so yeah it should have been left where it was. I raised a ticket (which these forums are supposed to help prevent me from doing) got the answer i was seeking.

5 Likes

they changed them back to US times

Last time I looked, we dont use US times. Good grief…

1 Like

Can’t even give server downtimes listed in AU timezones anymore, as they used to.

Lazier and lazier.

I repeat, due to the large time difference events are often listed on the wrong day .

@Narull, Takralus et al

Can we get some details on this please?

1 Like

Adding on to this - it is pretty frustrating when an event says on the calendar it will start in the early evening, but wont actually start until 5 am. Then planning around an event ending at say 5 pm, but actually ending at midnight.

5 Likes

“/salute” - This is the best we get mate and you know this. And that wasn’t even in a recognition for of the actual issue it was posted in. It was in response to a MVP saying hello.

This issue in particular has been mentioned in so many threads and I have personally tweeted about this and put it in bug reports and more that it goes in the exact pile of ignored stuff that we as a OCE community have been pushing for.

Ion once suggested that when we point out an issue that we need to say stuff like “Hey this is an issue and it affects me in this manner” but EVEN when this method is used, it is pointless when the CM that is supposed to forward these on doesn’t acknowledge the issue or respond to the community in any meaningful way.

4 Likes

It is pretty frustrating this issue continues. Can understand events needing to start at the same time globally, but surely the calendar - like the in-game clock - can be set to display local time (heck, for OCE even server time would be an improvement… easier to allow for 2 hours here in NZ than 20 hours, whilst guessing whether or not the day is even correct).

It’s 9:16 am here at the moment. Going by the in-game calendar right now, apparently Timewalking just started over an hour ago, but I know it won’t start until the wee hours of tomorrow morning. Surely someone can devote half an hour to code this simple request? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

That might cost us a raid tier though, as blizzard is a small indi company.

3 Likes

The Sunday afternoon Fishing event is on at 7am Monday morning.

It really confuses me and I really hate Mondays :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sequential - Discord channel/Cutting Edge players dedicated to preparing for Classic wow looking for players interested in hitting classic hard we will be forming a Horde Guild on OCE upon release with 80+ members all ready! https:// discord.gg/yDqMUHF

If US servers (including the majority of WoW staff) were forced to view a calendar in Australian Eastern Standard Time, they would have fixed this issue a long, long time ago. It’s hardly game breaking, but it is incredibly frustrating, especially when the calendar and the clock underneath it are using completely different times within the same application.

It was also pretty embarrassing for an application to struggle to support time localization at the time WoW was created, let alone 2019.

5 Likes

Actually it, like any other event, can vary in starting time depending on whether it’s daylight saving time here, and whether it’s daylight saving time in America.
To make it even more complicated, the American and Australian time changes don’t coincide.

Not having time-zone specific calendars is incredibly lazy and primitive. Magic the Gathering showed time-zone specific times back in 2001, and this game used to show them. - Until the “break it and call the remains a feature” team took over.

The reason given earlier in the thread for the calendar change was silly nonsense, as the statement it quoted was only referring to event times, and has nothing to do with why we cannot see those event times correctly on our calendars.

Still an issue in 2020.

Edit: Sorry about NECRO but lets hope this gets fixed in SL

3 Likes

It’s not a necro when the complaint is as relevant as ever.

Twenty years ago games had the technology to show people all over the world the event times that were correct for their area.

Ten years ago, when I began playing Warcraft, the calendar showed the correct event time for whichever realm you were on.

These days all the calendar times for events on Australian realms are completely wrong, and each time America or Australia change their daylight saving status, the amount by which the event time is out changes. The time offset is anything from 14 to 17 hours, depending on the time of year.

Supposedly Darkmoon Faire ended midnight last night. It actually ended 5 o’clock this afternoon. Every year the new players on Australian realms want to know when the Winterveil event begins, because it does not start on the day our calendar states. Nobelgarden, according to our calendar, starts midnight tonight. But no, it will actually begin - I’m guessing - 17 hours later.

It’s hard to know whether this backward step and refusal to fix it is a result of utter stupidity on the part of Blizzard, or utter contempt for non-Americans. I suspect it’s both.

5 Likes

I still remember the days when it was normal. And I 100% agree, nothing like on Christmas morning going to the tree to get… nothing.

2 Likes

Yeah I don’t understand why its so hard to display events in local time on the in-game calendar. The explanation given by Blizzard as quoted by Kyzera in Nov 2018 is stupid. If I make an event in Google Calendar and share it with someone in the U.S. and they add it to their calendar, it expresses it in their local time so that they can join at the correct time. How hard is it to make the in-game calendar do that?

1 Like

I just got buggered by this with a Timewalking event ending 4 hours earlier than I expected it to, according to the calendar, it’s not supposed to end for another 4.5 hours but I knew that was wrong; anyone know of an addon that can display times in game correctly?

1 Like

Unfortunately not, mate.