Obtaining Rank 3 Essences on Alts

Given normal Blizzard testing, it makes sense that so much doesn’t work haha.

Yes, but Blizzard are azzholes and instead of a simple pop up announcement ingame the week before the feature goes live, they choose to make a passing comment on a subsection of a forum.

Negligent amoebas is too generous a term for what this expansion’s features have turned out to be.

I’ll also say it’s pretty laughable that 240 echoes come from a +12 mythic key while the weekly assaults in all their braindead capacity give 375 total and it takes 500 for a single rank 3 essence.

To hell with this expansion, and not looking forward to more of this garbage in Shadowlands.

2 Likes

I think I may have screwed up? :man_facepalming:

Logged into my Alliance alt first today, which mostly has blue essences. Was the last toon I was running some bgs with last night, so that’s where the landing page took me.

Logged over to my Horde main (he has all the good stuff/rank 3’s/rank 4’s), and received “Echoes of Nyalotha” currency…

Does this mean the system “registered” my Alliance alt as my main?? Please no… what did I do :tired_face:

Any way to “reset” this choice of what the system sees as your “main”?

WoW’s continued refusal to make many aspects of the content shared between characters is long outdated in the MMO world. The essence and cloak system, and all of its related content, is boring and tedious, to the point where I no longer have much of a desire to log on. For this reason, Shadowlands is the first XP I have not pre-purchased in a long time.

A better solution would have been to make Heart power level, Heart essences and Cloak ranks account-bound, so that as soon as you earn one, it can be used on ALL of your characters, free of any restrictions. In addition, the cloak should be granted to all other 120’s on your account, without having to do the cloak unlock and obtain on each alt. This way, if I decided I wanted to play as one of my other 120s, their cloak, Heart and Essences would already be good to go, and I wouldn’t have to grind all of that over again PLUS grinding gear.

This Ny’alotha “catch up” system they are putting in now is too little and very much too late. It simply makes that same tedious, boring grind marginally less so.

I hope we can discard concerns about “alts” and “mains”.

Before the game will begin awarding any character Echoes of Ny’alotha, you want to first log into a character (or characters) who have Rank 3 Essences. That’s it.

Once you’ve logged into a character who has a Rank 3 Essence, all of your other characters (that are eligible) will begin seeing Echoes as rewards.

Thus, if you have two characters who have different Rank 3 Essences, you’ll want to log into both of them first, each unlocking the Echoes for the other.

1 Like

Top. Men.

Way to go, triple A gaming company. The route this development team is going you have to believe there is an internal competition to find every way possible to screw up a winning strategy.

2 Likes

Knowing this will information now is great, however getting the response of “tough luck that you didn’t instinctively log on to all of your characters to link them together so that they all receive this currency” is pretty terrible from a
Customer service point of view.
I was excited about this new way of catching up alts because it still felt like progression but this definitely have put a sour taste in my mouth.
If mistakes are made it’s acceptable, but at least provide legitimate solutions to those that it impacted.

6 Likes

All you needed to do to avoid this confusion was to include this information in yesterday’s post explaining how this system would work.

That’s it.

The single most crucial bit of information you could provide to players about this, which is what limits or provides the system/currency to players’ alts, and you neglected to mention it. Or downright didn’t even know yourselves – I guess we’ll never know. The fact that it took almost an hour after the system was live for you to mention this, and then tweet it and post about it and act like it was players’ faults for not know how a brand newly implemented system was supposed to work … that just screams of you not knowing yourselves.

Once again, your communication to your player base is sorely lacking. At this point you can’t wonder why your players are losing faith in the company’s ability to put out a solid quality product like Blizzard pre-2008. You know you should be doing something to restore echoes to players who didn’t know about the ‘catch’ to the system – even if it means you blanket award hundreds of echoes to every player. What could it possibly hurt, that your actions today haven’t already hurt?

18 Likes

Still don’t understand why havent you nerfed the amount needed for eternal palace essences.

5 Likes

Seriously. This so much. So, so, so, so much.

Was not announced with this:

Which is why people who lost out on hundreds of echoes should have them reimbursed.

Simply put, it should not be on the player to fill the gap in a system the provider built, especially if you decided to notify the players the same day the new system was introduced.

I don’t want freebies but I’m pretty avid about getting what I’ve earned. I did the work on 1 character to earn the essences which I was already ginding toward on my 2nd character. I also did the work of pushing my mythic keys (12 on both). But here I am, empty-handed because your system can’t associate 2 characters on the same account, on the same realm?

That’s some low-bar implementation.

11 Likes

If you’re not even planning on playing at a heroic level… Then stop worrying about essences. I’d even stop worrying about upgrading the cloak.

Yup, we tried that previously. It was called WoD. People really really hated it. There was nothing to do and people could maintain 10+ heroic/mythic ready alts easily (I did…).

I work more than 40 hours a week yet manage to find the time? A week has 168 hours in it. I’m sure you can make room for 2 of those to be dedicated towards upgrading your cloak.

And if you’re not planning on playing at Heroic/Mythic levels? Why in the world are you no life upgrading all of them…

Having said this, I’m not completely unsympathetic to your cause. I’m actually with you in feeling that alts should have a dramatically reduced input relative to your main. For instance 4 clears for the rank 15 cloak on main, 2 clears on first alt, 1 clear on rest. My only point to you was that this compromise they just put in is actually relatively fair. And it looks like you’ll be able to upgrade multiple essences to rank 3 within a week. It does however insist that you actually play the darn alt…

I shouldn’t be no life upgrading them is the point. Alts are for casual fun play. Unsurprisingly being able to enjoy the fruits of your labor of time spent on your main to casually play your alts in random bgs or lfr or whatever is important to some. Do alts need them? No, not really. Is it more fun with them? You bet. It makes playing them a lot more interesting and worthwhile to me.

Doing the main+minor assault and a vision is playing the bulk of 8.3 content. That to me is reasonable and time-wise acceptable. Doing anything on top of that is pushing it, especially when you are still doing things on your main

2 Likes

I am very happy to see a wide range of activities that provide the currency. I think it’s a pretty good compromise. I do agree with others that said this should have come sooner, but this is definitely a decent design choice in terms of allowing alts to get essences. Please remember systems like this in the future. I like being able to earn things by doing the activities I enjoy.

What about the essences from najatar and mechagon? the original post said they wouyld be avail to anyone who had any level of them but i have not gotten any of the currency

Seems legit. I might actually play my mage again.

Why on earth would they fight people on this, is it worth giving up even more player trust over an imaginary currency? How many people logged in today to try out the new system, only to deal with bugs/confusion/blizzard ineptitude, and blizz blaming us for it to boot.

Blizz, you made the mistake in not implementing this correctly or at least alerting us to your poor job of handling it, take responsibility and give people the echoes they earned.

9 Likes

You mean the messenger who failed to deliver the message? The messenger who told us to go f ourself? The messenger who never apologize?

2 Likes

I forgot the part where Kaivax said “lol jokes we knew you had to log onto your main first all along. We deliberately didn’t tell you so you would all miss out! Hah!”

They gave the message they were given, that is their job.