Obliterum and other upgrades

I am working in Legion with the new leveling system and have ran in to an issue with my crafting and gear in general. When I upgrade gear with obliterum or even when gear gets and upgrade by chance the stats have no change at all.

Is this some kind of cap making chance upgrades and profession gear useless or some kind of bug?

The problem is the stat squish. Kind of like how low level stuff was after the last squish where you get a piece of gear in a starting zone and you get something that is supposed to replace it but it gives only 1 extra armor or something. The minor upgrades are probably not going to do much at low levels. It may even take a few to notice at higher levels.

So is crafting gear for leveling obsolete then? Quests give gear that are iLVL 55 right now, the crafted gear starts at level 50 for the upgradable Oliterum or BFA gives iLVL 52 so if 2/10 does not give in any better stats it will never get to an iLVL of 55 with matching stats and any other gear above level 55 requires you to be level 50.

If you are at the level where you are getting ilvl 55 gear then yes there is no more gear you can make for leveling. The Obliterum gear can probably be upgraded above ilvl 55 (can’t get wowhead to show stats with higher Obliterum levels) but it would probably be better to just reach level 50 and make/acquire that level gear. Btw, the Obliterum pieces only require level 45 normally (don’t know if it is different when viewed in Chromie Time).