Nvidia RTX 2070 Super Issues

For a few months ever since Blizzard released one of the initial updates for Shadowlands Pre Patch, I have noticed a significant drop in frames per second while in game. I am running a 1 TB SSD, AMD Ryzen 7 3700x, 16GB RAM, and Nvidia RTX 2070 Super graphics card, I’m pretty sure I should be able to operate effectively on higher then setting 7 in game without dropping below 40 FPS in major cities… Please provide some sort of information on this.

Thank you.

Try updating your driver

I second the driver as the probably cause. I’m running the 3700X as well except with a 1660 Ti and I get better frames than that on max settings. If you don’t already have it get the GeForce Experience and let it handle the drivers and update them whenever they are available.

Yes, I have the most up to date drivers available. I am very familiar with geforce experience, and have been using it for years. That’s why I cannot understand what is happening.

You are right, you should be able to run at max settings with great framerates. Try doing the following:

• Download Bug Grabber addon and see if there’s an issue. If you notice that an addon(s) keep reporting error (especially multiple times), try turning that addon(s) off.
  • Turn off all your addon and see if that fixes the issue. if it does, start adding a few back at a time to see which addon(s) is/are affecting your framerates.
  • Move, rename or delete your WTF and Cache folder in the WOW folder. A lot of times old saved variables are not working as intended especially if an addon author modified or updates their addon’s LUA to the new Blizzard LUA changes.
  • Lastly (small chance of actually being the problem) is to make sure your motherboard’s BIOS is up-to-date and installed properly (basically reinstall the BIOS). Sometimes an older BIOS or bad BIOS image causes problems with GPU/CPU bandwidth.

In most cases it’s an addon(s) that is causing the problem. Especially one that is reporting so many errors that it’s hogging up resources. Another might be due to non optimization to the new WoW build of addons that downloads, scans, and reports lots of data (i.e. UI addons, Damage Reporting addons, etc.).

An example list of addons that is known to drop FPS:

• Elvui
  • Z Perl Unit Frame
  • Recount
  • Plater Nameplates
  • TradeSkillMaster
  • RareScanner
  • Azeroth Auto Pilot
  • Zygor Guide
  • …and others of the same types

Hope this helps.

Tbh if you really are on the latest driver I would suggest leaving it and going back to the last one that worked well for you if you read here:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/407202/geforce-45730-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/

The latest driver is a disaster in performance and in reliability. I personally run 442.50 and have zero issues on a 2080 ti ftw3. I do hope you give that a read though, Also not a fan of GFE. Best advice I can give is to remove current with DDU and install the stand alone driver for your card, not the DCH Driver the NVCP from windows store sucks.

Edit: I know this guy has a 1070 but he also has a 3700x and had the low fps and frame rate left latest driver and it resolved, so it is worth a shot if nothing else works. https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/game-ready-drivers/13/407202/geforce-45730-game-ready-driver-feedback-thread-re/2915370/

Nvidia’s 457.30 is working fine for me. /Shrug

You are very lucky then take a look at their forums.

I did. But, that happens on most drivers. Some people will have problems somewhere. All computers are not the same. You just don’t see the people who are not having problems posting.

I know this very well, However he is currently having a common problem shared amongst a few on it, Since this is a community help based forum I offered some help if he chooses to do it or not is up to him.

Oh, I’m not disrespecting your help for him (sorry if it came out that way). But, usually it’s a trend with addons and framerate issues when a new patch comes out from Blizzard.

You are correct in that statement, I just have been dealing with Nvidia drivers issues in excess since the crap from the 445.xx line came about in wow flickering back with najitar then the greatness of 451.xx line and now they are meshing the 3k in. Brings me back to right before the RTX 2k line launched and 399.24 stayed as king until 417.xx The ARK crashes was real…

You know what they say about drivers. Unless something clearly is not working, don’t update it :slight_smile:

Yep, something we can both agree on.

Guys, I want to truly thank you all for the detailed, and informative responses. i appreciate you all taking the time to list out solutions / suggestions as you did. I will be trying these, and will report back if any solved the issue, and on the status of my gameplay.

Thank you again.