NVIDIA DLSS support

I am curious about the chances that WoW might support DLSS in the future.

DLSS can result in some pretty massive framerate boosts. There is also the issue that DLSS 3.0 requires one of the newly announced 4xxx series Nvidia GPUs.

In my specific situation, I’m currently running a RTX 2080. It’s clearly the bottleneck in my system at this point as I can see the GPU utilization pegged at 100% far too often. I’m trying to decide if I should get something like a used 3090 Ti, or wait for a 4xxx series card. I think that something like a 3090 Ti should be plenty of extra raw performance compared to the 2080. But if the game ends up supporting DLSS 3.0, then it could easily turn into a big regret for not going with a 4xxx series card. Older RTX cards do support older versions of DLSS but they do not provide nearly as much improvement in FPS.

When I got my 2080, it was a debate between that or a 1080 Ti, which were similar performance and similar price at the time. Now that WoW supports Ray Tracing, I feel like going with the 2080 was clearly the correct choice. Based on that experience it would seem like going with the newer generation GPU (4xxx series) would be the best choice, but damn those 3090 Ti prices are coming down fast…

1 Like

It seems unlikely that they’ll incorporate DLSS. Not impossible - just unlikely. FSR is already implemented and has much, much broader hardware support. The visual quality may not be the same (especially if it’s only standard FSR instead of FSR 2) but for the most part that will be moot for people who are actually playing the game, rather than pixel-peeping at screenshots.

FSR (and older DLSS implementations) also don’t have the faux-frame feature of DLSS 3, which I personally consider to be a positive. It might not look as impressive in benchmarks but that floaty feeling of always having the action two frames behind is just unpleasant.

I cannot speak to the likelihood of wow implementing DLSS despite it being a massive boost to graphical quality (one of the biggest innovations in a long time IMO) but I can say I would not use DLSS 3.0 as a reason for buying a 4000 series vs a 3000 series GPU. The DLSS 3.0 system uses frame injection to add FPS. Aka, it repeats frames to increase the number but the latency suffers for it. Basically, it looks smoother but the information is delayed. So for moments where accurate timing is important, DLSS 3.0 (not 2.0) is a hinderance. I would suggest checking out the techonomics podcast, or the 2 dudes individual channels for more information (The good old gamer / Not an apple fan).

DLSS will not fix crowd issues as well. Thats CPU, RAM, storage speed and networking.

1 Like

Just here to say that DLSS is still not supported. :sob: My aging 2070 would really appreciate DLSS support, bliz.

1 Like

do you at least have reflex + boost turned on?

I had no trouble playing WoW on my dinosaur RTX 2060. WoW is the last game that needs upscaling, but the least they could do is upgrade the FSR 1 to FSR 2. FSR 2 looks nicer than FSR 1 and it doesn’t require any kind of special chips on your card, unlike DLSS. DLSS looks a bit better than FSR, but it requires Tensor cores on a GeForce card.