Not to be a, "Meta-Slave", but

I’m not one to chase what is seen as, “The Meta”, but I do prefer to remain in a competitive spot for as far as, group composition and functionality for the content I enjoy, and that is Mythic+ Keys.

So I am looking for a solid class/spec that will allow me to climb in Keys and alike, maybe something that has the ability to fill more than one role like dps/tank or dps/heals, ect.

What are your thoughts?

To be completely honest, what you enjoy playing and how good you are at it matters more than what any theoretical sim or benchmark will tell you.

It’s always been true of WoW that skill > gear > class. If you want to set world records for the highest M+ than spec/class is relevant… but if you are content doing +15 (anything after that is only bragging rights; no rewards) then truly any class is capable of it if you have the right skill.

PS. And I say this only having done the +10 to +11 range, on a toon that I think is in the current meta. So maybe I won’t appear to have much credibility. But that’s just because I’m casual and don’t play WoW like I used to.

1 Like

I understand what you are saying, and normally I would agree. However to remain competitive with peers and being able to get into PuG Mythic+ keys, I need something that is atleast percieved as good.

2 Likes

The thing about chasing meta is that you never truly stop. If you’re wanting to chase meta, be prepared to level one of every class so that in case and inevitably when the meta shifts, you’re able to quickly follow it and be in a good position to push once again.

There are a couple problems with the average person chasing meta however.

1. Unless you have experience on all of these classes, just playing it won’t let you emulate what you see in MDI or on streams. You can squeak by and get some good parses, but it takes practice to play any class at a high level.

2. Before anything else, pugs will look at IO score. Playing a meta class won’t simply flip a switch and get you invited.

So my suggestion is similar to Dahk’s. Pick something you love to play, and master it. The better you play a class, the better chance you will have going far with it. Eventually it will come into the meta and you’ll have an even easier time at it, but you have to walk before you run.

As specific as I’ll be able to get really is just to say try and pick something with multiple DPS specs. The pure DPS classes such as Mage or Rogue being the best options. You have a much better chance at one of their specs coming into meta than if you picked something like Ret Pally with only 1 DPS spec.

If you prefer to main tank or healer, literally anything will be fine so long as you know how to play it. It’s much more rare to be turned down as one of those roles unless you are severely undergeared, or have an extremely low IO score.

This. The meta will always shift.

1 Like