Not Configured For GeForce RTX 2080

The game is not configured or optimized for NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 graphics cards; the graphics settings default to the lowest possible settings on my computer, which has an Intel i9-9900K CPU and dual RTX 2080 graphics cards with 64 GB RAM, and it barely runs on any settings above low. There is no overclocking being done on the graphics cards: this is purely an issue with the software and its configuration/optimization. This system runs max settings on any and all other games.

This issue is not limited to this particular Blizzard game: the same issue is encountered in World of Warcraft, Heroes of the Storm, Starcraft II, and Overwatch. Is any fix being planned for this?

1 Like

Can you post a dxdiag and we can take a look

DxDiag
1.Press Windows Key + R.
2.Type DxDiag and press Enter.
3.In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
4.Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save
5.Open the txt file above select all, copy and paste to this thread.
You can include the DXDIAG in a reply to the forum post. Place it between rows of ticks (`) for formatting:

```
Like this.

```
If it will not allow you to post the whole thing post it on pastebin.com just post the last section of the link see the highlight section below .

https://pastebin.com /y47kBy74

1 Like

We’ll want the info requested above. Apart from that though, have you tested with just one RTX 2080?

It’s worth noting that WoW is not optimized for SLI and that NVidia has (as far as I’m aware) not released any new SLI profiles for WoW since 8.1 dropped. At this point NVidia is encouraging developers to switch to Explicit Multi-GPU and not rely on SLI.

1 Like

I will have to check out just using the single card — I’m honestly not familiar with using two, as this is a new set up! The DxDiag pastebin link follows, thank you!

/3xnkJe7n

Hi Trollsey,

Regarding your comment “… not familiar with using two…” - I would be interested in knowing how your SLI setup differs, if at all, when one card is dedicated to anti-aliasing (at least that option used to exist back in the GTX 480 Ti days).

Relatedly, sometimes my system runs poorly when on lower settings, possibly due to hardware having to run less efficiently (?)

I’m using a single RTX 2080 Ti and my system seems to run OK; details below. To be clear, the 980 Ti is not in SLI.

I’m still tweaking settings. tl;dr triple-monitor while in Azurewing Repose drops framerate to ~35fps, but G-Sync makes it not super noticeable (many blue, such shiny, WoW). Can’t speak to large-scale multiplayer though :disappointed:

System specs
* Windows 10 Pro (single-boot)
* MSI x99A Gaming 9 Ack (onboard sound)
* Intel i7-5930k @ 3.5GHz
* Corsair 32gb RAM (quad channel)
* Nvidia GTX 2080 ti
* MSI GTX 980 ti (dedicated to PhysX)
'Non-optimized' settings (GeForce Experience)
Setting Value
Anti-aliasing CMAA
Depth Effects High
Display Mode Full-screen
Environment Detail 10
Ground Clutter 10
Lighting Quality High
Liquid Detail Ultra
MSAA None
Multisample Alpha Test Enabled
Particle Density Ultra
Post-Process AA CMAA
Projected Textures Enabled
Render Scale 150%
Resample Quality Bicubic
Resolution 7680x1440
Shadow Quality Ultra High
SSAO Ultra
Sunshafts High
Texture Filtering 16x Anisotropic
Texture Resolution High
View Distance 10
NVIDIA Multi-Frame Sampled Anti-aliasing On

Good luck!

I have two 2080s and the second card is not tapped at all no matter what the settings are, DirectX 11, DirectX11 Legacy included. And if you adjust the settings, such as fps higher or lower, or “Graphics Quality” higher or lower the second card is not used whatsoever–even if you max out everything and watch the temperature of the one card rise fast.

SLI scaling is controlled via “SLI profiles” issued by NVidia as part of the game ready driver. For an SLI Profile to exist NVidia must decide that the game scales with SLI and is worth their time. As far as I’m aware WoW has not had a valid SLI Profile since 8.1 launched. Without a profile the second GPU will not be utilized unless explicitly selected in game settings (don’t do this all it does is switch the render device).

As aforementioned NVidia seems to be pulling back on issuing new profiles as they are encouraging developers to favor a technique using DirectX12 called “Explicit Multi-GPU” a blog about which I’ve linked above. This technique is much more tolerant of heterogeneous hardware and can scale much better than SLI ever could. You could think of it as SLI where the game developer has full control over what happens instead of leaving it to the driver to guess the best course of action.

I feel very silly: After literally just changing up some physical connections, the game seems to run well enough even with SLI enabled. It’s still not suggesting max settings because it seems to just be using the primary card, as you mentioned above, but it suggests “High,” which is a welcome improvement from before. Sorry for jumping to conclusions!

If you have other suggestions, though, I would still appreciate them! How exactly do I use DX12 for this explicit multi-GPU function? The link just seemed to be a technical description, but I didn’t see how to IMPLEMENT it (sorry, I work with plane avionics, but am pretty bad with computer stuff. You’d think the opposite would be true).

Thanks again, all!

Honestly, I’d just like to know what to do to get the Nvidia control panel to allow for SLI. I saw on a recent video a guy with two 2080 RTX cards in SLI and the Nvidia control panel he had there had SLI settings. Mind doesn’t. I have uninstalled and reinstalled all of the drivers. I’ve established that both cards do work–when using two monitors. Hence I would just like some technical assistance if anyone knows what to do to get that second card to work in SLI.

Unfortunately implementation has to come from Blizz, I wouldn’t be surprised to see it in the future (it allows better results on switchable graphics for example). But it’s not currently available as far as I’m aware. That said they’d need to provide some sort of way for you to indicate which devices to use for rendering.

Understandable, DXGI (DirectX Graphics Infrastructure) exposes each device independently to the game. As a developer I can enumerate the devices in your system and query for their capabilities. If for example I detect that you have two of the same device I could auto trigger code to grab both and then using the existing tools from DX12 split the workload across both as described in the article.

Currently WoW just uses the device that you select in the options or the system default (usually the one connected to your monitor(s)).

As aforementioned having cards in SLI doesn’t mean they will be usable in SLI to any given game. NVidia decides which games get SLI profiles and which don’t. Game with SLI profiles don’t see the SLI per se, they just see a primary graphics device. The driver then scales that across GPUs.

Because this is less efficient, and sometimes less performant than single GPU. NVidia has been encouraging developers to not rely on SLI profiles and to make the transitions in their own codebases. This will take time however.

My problem is solved. Apparently you have to use a lot of force (ugh) to get the NVLink all the way on. Doh! My system is now using both cards when playing wow. Yaay. Funny but both Wow staff and Nvidia staff (and a lot of posters in these forums) are under the false impression SLI does not work with wow. It actually does.

There is a difference between what you’re seeing and proper SLI. Just because you’re seeing usage of both cards doesn’t actually mean that it’s proper SLI. When the cards are configured in SLI mode the memory on both cards is mirrored, this causes some over head that may appear as SLI but is not. It is possible that your install is using an older SLI profile for WoW as well. However as mentioned no new SLI profile has been issued or certified for 8.1 or newer as far as I am aware.

Heya Trollsey,

Be sure to also ensure the Monitor is plugged into the GPU rather than the Motherboard port. If the computer is running off the Intel UHD 630 instead of the RTX card it would be normal for it to default to low stats.

It should look something like this.

And if using multiple GPUs, then plug the monitor(s) into the primary one(s). Typically, traditional SLI is pretty specific on this, but in my system I noticed the following:

• Primary non-SLI GPU is running three monitors as Nvidia Surround (7680*1440)
  • Secondary non-SLI GPU is dedicated to PhysX
  • Plugging all monitors into the secondary GPU …
    • … displayed higher framerate in WoW (using ctrl+r).
    • … was obviously more laggy/lower framerate.

Good luck!

I have a laptop running a RTX 2070. It worked fine until windows did an update at which point the video defaulted to the onboard graphics on the CPU which dropped me from a 100 plus fps to around 20 to 25 fps. I was using the software that came with the laptop. After I did a clean install of Windows 10 everything went back to normal.

It actually doesn’t there is no marked improvement with SLI over a standard card. WoW has and probably never will benefit from SLI, just because the game runs while you have SLI enabled doesn’t mean that it supports it.

Edited by Blizzard - this topic is being locked as this is an old post which was bumped. Please create your own thread or contact support.