Nochanges means addons too

not spy, HonorSpy it shows the honor of everyone on the server in a list and it works through chat channels. Something that you used to look up on the old offical site in 2005.

2 Likes

was referring to their statement about how blizzard breaking spy was wrong, I do believe there should be a leaderboard of sorts on the site but anytime someone complains about breaking addons and spy being broken is just stupid, it’s an addon that paid attention so you didn’t have to in pvp.

Hate to tell you these addon capabilities are from retail there was no reason for them to maintain two baselines of addon code since they made it secure and efficient for WoW usage

Sorry yeah I didn’t read the whole thing, Spy nerf should of happend totally the only reason spy was how it was is because of the legion client massively increasing the range of the combat log and it picking up people’s buffs from miles away.

but HonorSpy is just a bandaid for something 2005 blizzard already had a solution for which is rather important considering BG are out tomorrow and people wont know how much they even have to play for brackets.

2 Likes

Whoa there, if you have information, you might not blindly play for a few extra hours, and blizzard needs you for user metrics, so do your part by just playing a few extra hours since your actual progression is obfuscated.

This is from the blue sticky at the top of the forums regarding the new patch tomorrow and updates:

" The lua API has been modified to prevent some addons from using communications channels in ways that are contrary to the spirit of the game."

I’m not sure which add-ons this will effect. I don’t think I use any that use these functions.

Edit: If you click on the “modified” link in the quote I posted, it goes into more detail explaining what will be broken and what will work.

2 Likes

i’ve been reading in other threads since i made this post about an addon called “honorspy” which i had no idea that an addon that did that existed. i imagine that will be broken tomorrow.

I could care less either way. But if they are going to keep making nit picky changes about what can and can’t be used, that’s no longer no changes classic, it’s their personal version of classic. And that bothers me greatly. Old addons that called out casts and abilities from the combat log offered you a similar advantage as spy. Now from what I understand Spy was mostly a problem because of the combat log range being too big. And that’s a small change. But it’s these little changes focused on addons that are getting me very frustrated. We were supposed to have a keyring already and so far no keyring.

So they are wasting time piddling with addons instead of fixing the client.

I have heard of that add-on, but don’t use it. If it doesn’t get broken, it sounds like some functionalities of it might get broken like they did with the LFG add-on and Spy add-on. That’s my guess, but don’t know much about those add-ons honestly since I haven’t ever used them.

Ahem… So then I should by this logic then be able to run FULL Heal bot that was TRULY a bot…

I should also be able to run FULL Decursive that was a true bot…

Hell by this standard even a kick bot would be considered 100% legit.

From what I can tell reading that, most addons won’t be affected by that change.

It’s only restricting addons from using custom/player-created channels, basically any global channels. Anything in guild/party/raid will be fine.

Yes, it will likely break honorspy due to how it communicates, but a majority of addons people are worried about (at least in the linked post), like boss mods and threat meters, will be fine.

The real problem will come when addon authors combat this change and Blizzard has to go further to break this kind of functionality; that will start to affect other addons that would otherwise be left alone.

The combat log range was dramatically increased in legion, it was never like that in vanilla and only there because of the carry over from the system overhaul they had to do. that is in no way a “personal version” of classic, it removes some of the stuff that was changed that was never there before.

Pretty sure you could increase the range to 200 yards via console command in Vanilla.

1 Like

If we weren’t on 1.12, the original version of those addons were neutered fairly early on in the life of wow, it would be neat if they let us use the OG version until the phase drops where they did break them, but none of the content requires that accurate healing.

There are several other addons that are just not possible in BFA’s client nor in this one that were 100% possible in Vanilla.

According to the OP’s logic that sort of automated play should be 100% ok.

Let us not forget scripting that was also 100X more powerful in vanilla than it is now in Modern wow / classic.

/combatlog 200
/combatlog
Then you could enjoy a giant stream of junk.
You still can actually, at 200 yards too.
Throw it on your 2nd monitor in a live parser, and set triggers, or get fancy and set up an eggdrop bot and do live raid broadcasts on IRC
if that is still a thing?

1 Like

I just dislike addons in general tbh. Part of me feels like they are all just crutches

And what about Honor spy? Or the LFG addon? These are not addons that abuse issues with the client, but just use what was naturally there to do something new. I personally never used the LFG addon, but the issue here is letting Blizzard pick and choose what is and is not acceptable for the “spirit of the game” based on outrage, the SAME THING that all the no changes people claim is what killed the game to start with. It’s no longer a problem of a potential slippery slope anymore. It has now become a slope we are currently sliding down.

1 Like

I’m not against honor spy, we had leaderboards in the past that we should have now so honor spy isn’t needed but the complete lack of an LFG tool was a huge draw of classic, it makes sense they wouldn’t want that with their expanded addon features they have.

I don’t want no changes I want classic+ many people who signed the petition feel the same way, though i want to go along side vanilla not replace it. The alternative to classic+ is expansions and that will sever the community again and again. That would be horrible.