Nobody Asked For This

“Nobody asked for this” It’s a phrase we hear all the time when something happens a portion of the community doesn’t like. We hear it now all the time in regards to covenants. You are right, nobody asked for these specific changes. Nobody ever really asks for any changes. Blizzard simply compiles a list of our complaints and tries to fix those issues.

Example:

People in the past had said rotations was too large, it was hard to really press everything even with keybinds. Blizzards solution was a massive pruning. Which wasn’t very well liked, and people say all the time nobody asked for it. But didn’t we?

Let’s discuss how this applies to covenants, the thing people are saying nobody asked for today. Think back and remember the days of WoTLK do you recall the death knights asking why they couldn’t just side with Arthas? Why couldn’t they just choose his faction? What about recently with Sylvanas? Pretty common theme over the years right? Ontop of this how many times do you recall people asking for a way to make their character feel more unique, or to have added ways to interact with their character? I feel like we did ask for this. Maybe it didn’t get delivered in the way we expected. Yet what we are receiving is what we asked for.

9 Likes

So, you’re saying that we should treat Blizz as if they’re malevolent djinn and assume any wishes will be twisted into something that’s technically what was asked for but not at all what was desired?

20 Likes

I didn’t think rotations were to large lol

1 Like

I honestly feel Gamers are a crowd that has a big issue dealing with change.

Games evolve, Devs detect degenerate playstyles and other problems and fix them, but because some were so used to using such playstyles they simply cant handle the fact that they are being removed and they need to adapt, this goes for some tryhards as well who simply hate anykind of change blizzard does simply because the game isnt a copy of 2004 anymore.

Newsflash, games EVOLVE and change direction.

I said it many times but if they removed DPS meters I would stop playing because the direction the game would take wouldnt involve my enjoyment but I would understand that is the dev’s direction.

Though some people much rather keep playing the game while demanding what they fixed gets “unfixed” for their convenience.

6 Likes

That’s a good take.

I personally have always viewed Blizzard as the monkey’s paw.

1 Like

What players didn’t ask for, in this particular instance, was a complicated system.
I think the poor choice Blizzard made, and what caused most of the outrage, is tying too much player power to the covenant system instead of keeping it simple and just focusing on the cosmetic/aesthetic benefits.
That’s pretty much it, really.

3 Likes

RPGs who are simply are boring af, you need many different skills, passives, systems to combine and play around if RPGs are meant to be fun, the boring homogenized “everyone get’s the same ability but with slight differences” does not work in RPGs, rpgs by their nature are not ultra competitive and balanced games.

Which is why I love how different covenant skills are, they dont care about playing it safe for the high end tryhard balance, they are going full on creative and making different unique skills which can be combined in many ways.

Maybe, but this is what happens when we are very vague with what we want. We can’t expect the developers to be mind readers. All they can do is take our feedback and then try to design something based on that. Which they done, generally it takes an expansion or so though for them to make massive changes.

1 Like

So…I’m a bit tired of the defense, ‘we didn’t ask for this’ . So what? Blizz created an amazing option, idea, etc…who are you to think your ‘ask’ was even game worthy?

Probably thinking about the bellyachers about Void Elves.

2 Likes

Let’s say we’re a million player , how many are actually vocal about it on the forums,social media , etc … 250 000 ? The : nobody asked for this , The : Community wants this or that , The: speak for more than himself poster …

Heck we have some of those here too , these are simply exaggerated claims to promote ones argument when there’s lack of proof or stats to back them up .

You would be surprise AF to see all the things requested in wow over the years, the nobody asked for this was never such a lie with how diversified wow players are :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No one asked for garbage expansion after garbage expansion though.

1 Like

Based on the forum covenant poll? around 2k lul

2 Likes

The problem is that the choice between covenants should be difficult because you can’t decide if you like zombies, angels, vampires, or fey the most. Instead, (even if you ignore min/maxing) it’s “do you want a boring covenant or boring abilities”? The better solution would’ve been to separate player power from covenant choice.

Let people choose the power they enjoy and the covenant they enjoy. Combining them takes what should’ve been two interesting choices and turns it into one unpleasant one.

3 Likes

my sides hurt from laughing >.> is that weird ? :stuck_out_tongue:

Sigh. Here we go again.
/press mute

3 Likes

That is a fair take, I wouldn’t personally consider them malevolent though. However being more detailed with what you want wouldn’t hurt.

That isnt much of a choice, people have a pretty obvious preference.

But right now you see people having a huge issue choosing because they want one ability, but they also want another for another content, then they also want X soulbind for this content and that general ability is also good for most content.

Power tied to them is what makes them an actual choice, the fact that people have such a hard time sticking to one for all content shows that Blizzard has achieved making a meaningful choice and people simply arent used to making those in WoW.

It really do be like that.

“We don’t like Titanforging”.
“Okay, we’ll remove Titanforging, and implement Corruptions which are WAY more RNG and have WAY more variation on character power”.

I feel like people were pretty explicit on why they didn’t like Titanforging.

Didn’t stop Corruptions being a thing.

4 Likes

It’s more so an issue of conflicting play styles

In this case one group who dislike it which includes a variety of players from all parts of content consumption in the game feel as if it’s an extremely negative direction to be taking and removes a large swath of player freedom and in some classes will make things more tricky than they need to be when doing different aspects of the game

The other half who think it’s alright wouldn’t even be impacted by this change and the only thing it would impact is their believe on how the game should be played

That’s basically it

1 Like

I’m playing Night Fae, and no one can stop me! :triumph:

2 Likes