No Sound In-Game

I’ve just recently returned to WoW and last played a couple of weeks before the prepatch was released for BFA during Legion and I’ve been having issues with sound in-game. The sound works fine for the log-in screen and character/realm selection screen but once I’m in-game there is only ambient noises and no other sounds. At times, the sound has been working fine for about a minute or two after logging onto a character, but then it just cuts out, with ambient noise being the only sound existing. Other times there is only ambient noise right after the loading screen finishes.

I’ve made sure that everything isn’t turned down in the menu and that WoW isn’t turned down in the volume mixer in windows.
I updated the driver (Realtek High Definition Audio) and that didn’t fix the problem. The Game Sound Output is set to the system default, which I’ve made sure is the Realtek High Definition Audio.

There has been that green circle on the top of my screen while I am in-game that says that something is downloading in the background, however, when I open the battlenet app there is nothing downloading there. I’ve also been having random freezes, especially when I was changing between the system default and Realtek High Definition Audio to check the sound.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Lets go ahead and post a Dxdiag so we can take a look
DxDiag
1.Press Windows Key + R.
2.Type DxDiag and press Enter.
3.In the DxDiag window, click Save All Information.
4.Name the file “dxdiag” and click Save
5.Open the txt file above select all, copy and paste to this thread.

The DXDiag actually looks ok. Do you have any other sound devices connected to your computer? Lets start with resetting the game to default and see if the issue vanishes. with the game closed Cut and paste the following folders to your desktop. Interface, WTF and cache they are located inside your game folder. Test the game.

I’ve been playing for about 10 mins now after doing what you suggested and the sound seems to be working fine. I tried resetting the game two ways:

1. I tried first resetting the game to default through the blizzard launcher through Settings/Game Settings/Reset to Defaults which didn’t fix the problem. A message did pop up when I got onto the character/realm selection screen that said something along the lines of some of my addons weren’t up to date and were affecting the interface (very paraphrased, I should’ve written it down). I updated them a couple of days ago so I was a little confused when I got that message. The sound was still not working properly, and I was still having the same issues I stated in my OP.

2. I reset the game the way you suggested and now the sound seems to be working fine. The only difference I’ve noticed between the first method and this one is that all Addons have been completely disabled and the option for Addons has been removed from the character selection screen and from my menu in-game. My Addons were still enabled when I did the first method and I still had the option to disable/enable them in-game and on the character selection screen

This leads me to suggest that my Addons could be the issue. How would I go about fixing them?

Update: The sound is no longer behaving as it should. There is ambient sounds as before and the mount/dismount sound but I can’t hear any dialogue from NPCs or emotes. There is also no noise when I open and close my bags. Dialogue is toggled all the way up.

Hi Wowsbsthnter,

Emotes are controlled between three options:

• Dialog (under the Volume section)
  • Emote Sounds (under the Playback section)
  • Dialog (under the Playback section)

Be sure that all three options are enabled (one is a slider, as you know.)

As for the bag sound, that’s a simple sound effect controlled by two options:

• Sound Effects (under the Playback section)
  • Sound (under the Volume section)

Some people have reported success by increasing their Sound Channels under the Hardware section. I run at High (64), but you can increase it more, if necessary, in the Config file.

Make sure in the sound setting the type of speakers is correct. If you just have stereo speakers and have it set to sound speakers it can cause the issues you are having

I’m using a headset. How do I check that I have it set right?

In control panel there should be a icon named Realtek HD auto manager. Open the audio manager click on the speakers and make sure the proper speakers are selected. Depending on which version you have it may have speaker type or just surround.

They are set to stereo in the Speaker Configuration tab. In the sound settings in-game, under Hardware, the sound channels is currently set at Custom. Should that be changed?

Sorry for the late replay took a trip and got delayed because of weather. I would change it from custom to the correct sound device