No RP-PvP servers, a blessing in disguise?

RP-PVE servers have had a self hating ‘nerd’ stigma for quite a while. They are the first to become just another PVE server with no RP. Curious choice by Blizzard for that reason.

RP-PVP servers tend to have a lot of salt that fuels the RP and the PVP. Most intelligent people who play on RP-PVP that aren’t into the RP side still at least recognize and respect this as important to the health of the community.

9 Likes

Nothing stopping people from RPing on any server.

3 Likes

I rerolled on a RP-PvP server in TBC. I don’t expect everyone to come up with a novel long backstory (complete with mary sue born on a mountain with a rainbow and dragon overhead, knows Thrall, Arthas, and Jaina, and has special abilities that conflict with warcraft lore probably from anime) and act like they’re attending ye olde renaissance faire (Come woo me, woo me, for I am in a holiday humour and like enough to consent!), but it’s amazing how people can’t resist bringing in real life stuff and can’t just at least RP being some dumb ignorant jerk that at least only talks about ingame things and could vaguely be considered not OOC.

I think it would be fascinating if they implemented RP and RP-PvP servers with original rules heavily enforced…

https://web.archive.org/web/20060116112111/http://www.blizzard.com/support/wowgm/?id=agm01725p

8 Likes

That would be interesting… but it won’t happen. For everyone saying #nochanges there’s one HUGE way in which Classic will be different from vanilla: There won’t be 1/1000th of the GM involvement/monitoring/enforcement we saw in vanilla.

2 Likes

Maybe so but asking never hurt anyone, So i will continue to bump my OP

Are you telling me that you, some one from WRA wouldn’t support your ED brothers?! Even if there is a slim chance of it happening, with your voice Ooga!?

2 Likes

It’s a shame since it’s pretty sheisty of Actiblizz to charge us a monthly subscription fee, yet not provide the full time GM support we’re paying for.

4 Likes

We’re not paying for GM support, we’re paying for server maintenance. Those servers cost 50 grand apiece to maintain.

1 Like

That might be part of the reason they don’t want to bother, which is a shame.

I would be interested to see how many tickets were submitted reporting a character named some variation of “Legolasx” lol.

2 Likes

Except griefing if you try to do it too publicly.

3 Likes

Quote of the day imo.

2 Likes

On non-RP servers, EVERYWHERE is “too public.”

4 Likes

I disagree. While there is a dedicated base who are looking forward to RP-PvP, roleplayers tend to favor PvE, since they then have control of when and how they PvP (and it isn’t always game mechanics, see /roll fights, d20 mechanics, and so forth).

While PvP can occur, more roleplayers prefer organization rather than any ad hoc PvP. Big events for story can be organized, and PvP tends to occur there, rather than in an anything goes way that open world pvp follows.

In the fall of Argent Dawn, it was less about the ‘nerd stigma’, and more about non-roleplayers coming to the server and the actual roleplayers leaving for greener pastures to roleplay with others who were more likeminded.

In Vanilla, even those who weren’t participating in RP were vocal about not caring or wanting to be involved in roleplay, and a common complaint would be “Well, if you’re not here for roleplay, why are you here?”

The common response was “I have friends here.”

AD’s decline was almost instantaneous the moment that Blizzard opened up the server migrations. Within that week, roleplayers moved in droves. That included Goldshire (which originated as “Goldshire Guilds” on Argent Dawn) - which moved to Moon Guard and developed that reputation there.

What was left were normal players, and the handful of holdout roleplayers who tried to make a go of turning Argent Dawn back to an RP server.

2 Likes

The thing is, RP servers have one major problem. They’re absolutely overrun with people who have no interest in RP whatsoever, but only play on RP servers because of RP servers’ reputation as a “more mature community”. So when you end up in a situation where 90% of the people on so-called RP servers are non-RPers, RP dies out and they just become normal servers with a nerdier name.

I believe that the vast majority of the people who will be playing Classic will be rolling on PvP servers and PvE servers will be relatively underpopulated. So if the “I want mature community” non-RPers who were planning on rolling on RP-PvP servers have to choose between PvP servers and RP-PvE servers, I believe the vast majority of them will choose to roll on the PvP servers. Which means that there yet may be hope for the Classic WoW RP community, as RPers would be the higher percentage of the playerbase on “normal” RP servers. While if you had both RP-PvE and RP-PvP servers, most RPers would choose to play on RP-PvP servers, leaving RP-PvE servers to die, and then have their own RP-PvP servers’ RP community die as they end up being a tiny minority of the people playing on those servers.

True story… no pun intended… when I first started playing WoW, I had never played an MMO. I had played RPG’s like Baldur’s Gate, etc., and that was my idea of a “role playing” game. And I loved the Warcraft storyline from WC1-3. The description for an RP server said something like… Do you like to be engaged in a story? Then this is the server for you… I thought hell yeah, on these servers, the game must have more story content! So I picked RP server and ended up on Scarlet Crusade.

It was only later that I learned that “RP” meant that players are supposed to stay in character as they speak and act out a fantasy story in their head as they play. Now in the 6-7 years I played there, I only ran across a few people who were like that. Either they didn’t mingle much with the rest of the server, or there weren’t many people like that. Every group I was in openly discussed real life and spoke modern English. So I doubt my experience ended up being much different than on the average PvE server.

Anyway, as far as “mature community,” my prediction is that, in the long run (after all the tourists leave within a month), WoW Classic is going to be made up of the most “mature” servers ever seen in WoW, because all the people who want ez-mode faceroll free epics will quit and go back to playing retail, while those who want a challenge and don’t mind having to be social and put forth some effort to succeed will be the ones who stick around. And that will be great… the former types will have their game and we’ll have ours. Everyone should be happy.

2 Likes

Argent Dawn was the server in my post! I raided for a while in a very successful stint with Purpose. Unfortunately, we burned out on Hard Mode Freya without having a Paladin tank to cheese the exploding adds.

Unless sharding becomes permanent on non rp servers.

You are doing that thing again where you pretend your personal point of view equates to “more rpers” or “rpers tend to”

The 15k respondent poll clearly showed a preference for rppvp over rppve.

2 Likes

I’ve been talking to other RP/PVP guild leaders and would be leaders as well. We’ve all come together for similar purpose. Blizzard and Ion H. think 7-10% of the player base is too small of a niche to be worthy enough of our own realm.

We strongly DISSAGREE. RP/PVP leaders and guild members do our absolute best to bring Warcraft to life. The rich Warcraft story coupled with an accessible Azeroth as our stage – we create some of the most long-lasting and player driven and supported story within the game. RP/PvP has been on the list since patch 1.8. It was DEMANDED by the player base

In Vanilla and up until BFA introduced WARMODE, there were a few realm options to choose from:

PvP
-Contested territories players can fight at will in these locations

PvE
-You need to type /pvp to engage in any open world pvp conflict. Note that after you flag you’re at an immense disadvantage as other players don’t have to flag themselves for battle until they’re ready.

RP
-A more uniform naming policy as well as the PvE realm ruleset. In addition to this, Roleplaying was monitored and protected from griefers by blizzard.

The player base DEMANDED a mixture of PvP and RP.
Patch 1.8 we got the first RP/PvP realms!
-A unique blend of RP and grief protection as well as engaging open world and guild versus guild conflict.

RP servers were known to create their own server history and timelines on the forums and elsewhere. RP servers bring the Warcraft story to life. Please support RP/PvP servers by commenting in favor on the official forums!

If Vanilla is your favorite flavor, please consider helping out in support of your community!

10 Likes

Imagine applying the design philosophy of your failing/dying game to a new one and expecting a different result.

2 Likes

And I will continue to do so, unless you have a poll of every roleplayer in the world.

Rather, your narrow perspective is why you keep saying that it is my personal opinion, rather than a general observation across years of roleplaying - WoW not even being the focal point.

Feel free to post links. I will post more links across the broad spectrum of roleplayers, rather than the blinders you’ve posted in regards to Classic.

1 Like