No Option To Rename Hunter Pet

I right click on my pet’s portrait and there is no rename option. The names I have on several of my pets would probably be reported (keep your mind out of the gutter!) but there is no option to.

I’d suggest starting with a UI reset to make sure it’s not a UI or addon related issue.

4 Likes

It wasn’t that. I tried it on another pet and it happened again so it is clearly designed to do that, and upon looking on WoWhead, I apparently need an inscription item to be able to rename my pets. Strange, I thought pets could always be renamed. Anyway thanks for the help.

2 Likes

Normal hunter pets are named according to their species when first tamed, and you get one free rename to give it a personalized name. That’s it.

Rare tames actually automatically use that “free rename” to rename the pet back to its unique name (which may not be manually nameable that way). So, no free name changes.

And in all cases, no freebies after the first. That’s why scribes have that recipe.

8 Likes

If you think the names may violate community standards, a GM can change them without penalty to you if you self-report the name.

I would suggest submitting a ticket, listing the hunter name, realm, and the pet family. Reference the objectionable name and a desired aLternative name.

If someone else reports the name, you start up the escalating penalty volcano, but if you report it, it won’t.

6 Likes

Normal hunter pets are named according to their species when first tamed, and you get one free rename to give it a personalized name. That’s it.

Rare tames actually automatically use that “free rename” to rename the pet back to its unique name (which may not be manually nameable that way). So, no free name changes.

And in all cases, no freebies after the first. That’s why scribes have that recipe.

Apparently blizzard changed this and now we no longer get a free rename! i have tried to name my pets on several hunters and there is no rename option at all!!! very frustrated with this. why!??!?! what was the point blizzard!

Um incorrect, I just used my free rename on my hunter’s wolves a few days ago.

What kind of pet were they and are they rares…

For rares that retain their names, you can get a Certificate of Ownership from the AH. Or if you have inscription, you can make it. Use it, and you’ll be able to rename your pet.

1 Like