No Classic in 2019

I need to check Asmongolds YouTube channel, he must have made a video about classic being cancelled that upset his fanboys.

We are talking about games being canceled not games being released, stay in context.

Again, Ghost was in beta, that was release candidate. So no I am not wrong. It was cancelled after it was ready to go.It was two years after it was announced and closed beta was already shown.

2 Likes

I find it unlikely blizzard would cancel classic, as we’re months away from a release. Most of the work should be done at this point, as it’s been in development since some time in 2017? That’s at least a year (likely around 1.5-2 years). With the summer of 2019 release date that makes it ~6 months away.

They have already eaten the cost of at least 2/3 the cost in man hours, and believed it to be a good return on investment when they started. They can’t get that time back, and have less than 1/3 remaining. Unless something has drastically changed about the expected return on wow classic, it does not make sense to cancel it.

For those of you saying “They have cancelled games close to release before”. My understanding was those where cancelled as they thought the game was not a quality game and could damage their reputation as a good game maker. World of Warcraft Classic is unique in that it it a known quantity. They can’t really damage their reputation with it as long as it’s authentic; because it’s reviving an already known title. No one’s going to say well Blizzard sucks at making games now because WoW Classic is just like Vanilla WoW.

1 Like

Again we are talking about a game from 2002 development stand point here it’s not comparable. We don’t know if it was ready to release or not just because it was in a beta doesn’t mean jack during that time. And even IF it was ready to release 100% ready to go, the reason it got canceled was because when it was still in it’s beta, they were about to release the next gen consoles so they would make no money releasing it on old consoles with worse graphics and a worse quality than the new consoles coming out. So even if it was ready to go, this is completely irrelevant and shouldn’t be compared to Classic in the least sense.

Stop making sense, you won’t fit in well here.

Who said it was being scrapped?

It just might not make it to release this year.

1 Like

Ghost was cancelled because it didn’t live up to Blizzard’s standards at the time. End of story.

And you’re basing this on what? It’s not a front-line game. Neither is Warcraft 3 or Diablo: Immortal.

Blizzard announced in March 2006 that the game is on “indefinite hold” while the company investigated seventh generation video game console possibilities.

They made the game for ps2 era consoles. The next gen came out in November 2006.

Obviously it wasn’t ready yet, and the new consoles were coming out. I am assuming this means they were looking into possibilities for releasing it on the PS3 but it was so far behind they said screw it.

In the light of Activision re-prioritizing current and new projects, pointing out that the guy who thought re-creating pre-expansion WoW was a waist of time is now the president of Blizzard, and a direct report to the Activision CEO, could be relevant to the conversation on how where Classic falls on their roadmap.

1 Like

You do realize Brack is also the guy who ANNOUNCED Classic, right?

I don’t know. Apparently they broke up the Diablo Team 3 while it was at the height of its productivity, which is why the Diablo on PC part of the company has been dead for so long:

https://kotaku.com/the-past-present-and-future-of-diablo-1830593195

Yet he is okaying the development as of today, and has been in almost every interview talking about the game and he is right there discussing what their plan is and expresses that he is excited for it. But because he made that meme 4 years ago way before classics development we should be worried? Yeah sorry I am a little more of a rational thinker than that.

2 Likes

Not to mention the absolute PR disaster that’ll ensue if he goes and cancels the project. It’ll be like a digital Hiroshima.

1 Like

Karencro, you are growing on me with all of your sensible posts today! This was another insightful one. I hate to see evidence that supports problems with classic release, but I wont make up dumb arguments that pretend the evidence isnt there. Cheers!!

There is no evidence there. Only your own personal biases and projections.

Just in case anyone on here is questioning whether they are on the right side of the subject or not, just stop to see if Saqe agrees with you or not, that will lead you to where you need to be.

1 Like

He’s just a troll who likes stirring up trouble in every thread. I wish the CM could have banned him before he got laid off.

And? I am not saying he is right/wrong, but the company can send out whoever it wants to announce stuff. I wouldn’t be surprised if they had him do it just because of infamous quote.